1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 7.45 and got to shoot it last weekend. I'm afraid to say I was really disappointed with the LDA trigger. The initial take up that cocks the hammer is light and smooth, but when I pull the trigger some more after that point where the resistance starts I feel a creep in the trigger until what feels like a click. It's probably the drawbar clicking into the notch in that part (plunger lever?) beside it. I actually see the hammer move slightly back when this happens. The final break is also really heavy, probably in the region of 7 lbs. Anyone have the same experience?

Is there's a way to improve this trigger? I know you can't make this as good as a SA trigger, but I'd like to get rid of that creep and also lighten the final break.

Thanks in advance for any help.

bcgunner

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
IF you have a chance to try several out at the store do so. They are on the 5th revision of the Lda parts and some feel really good, some do not.
geo ><>

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are still Having trouble after feeding lots thru try Dlask Arms he should be able to help 527-9942 202B-1546 Derwent Way Delta if you dont already have this info. Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
On any double-action firearm I always dry-fire it 600-1000 time at first and then evaluate it. This cheap easy break-in period can really make a difference as the parts "polish" each other. The difference it made on the last S&W revolver I bought was amazing. After about 2500 pulls of dry-firing and shooting I had a trigger job performed, but I like to allow the orignal parts to "fit" together before I have it worked on plus if the gun has a defect and has to go back to the manufacter it will usually show up in the first 500 rounds and you do not have to worry about them blaming your gunsmith for the defect and because of liability issues if you send a gun back for repair and it has been altered they will refuse to work on it or replace all altered or changed parts with original stock parts and your out money.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Send it off to EGW. I had mine in and George did a great job on it. I don't think mine was as bad as yours sounds out of the box, but it sure had a lot of creep and was heavy. It is now smooth as glass and breaks at about 3.5 lbs. George could have gotten it down to 2.5-3 with a lighter MS. We discussed this and left the stock MS as it is now my off duty and plain clothes gun. I haven't heard of anyone else working on them yet. Don't worry George I wouldn't let anyone else touch my guns anyway! When are you going to build me a new AR for 3 gun? I want a flat top heavy fluted 22" barrel. Let me know what receiver to buy and drop off!

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY RECON:GUNNUTS HERE,Where is George's shop at in Pa.?I live near Harrisburg,how far from me?I have one PARA a P16-40 ltd. in stainless,with some stainless parts I had put in,I saw thw NEW PARA in Aug. HANDGUNS,they call it C7.45LDA,not on there website,I was thinking of sending or taking one to see George for a trigger job,If PARA can make some this year!!!!! thanks

[This message has been edited by gunnuts (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Slidelock
good post. Da actions do work in and improve.

On the LDA it is different. the gun is not a da in the sense that when you pull the trigger you are not compresing the main spring. The slide cocks the spring and the sear holds it.(just like a std 1911) the shell of the hammer (it's hollow) follows the slide down with the weak spring that moves it. when you pull the trigger you pull the hammer back to engauge the cocking piece part (this was stamped and is now mim, one side holds the weight and the other engagues inside the hammer.)
the end of the trigger stroke pulls the sear out of the cocking piece and the hammer is pushed down by the (heavy) main spring. You can go to 2# with the set up. It is Like a std 1911 except the hammer needs to be pulled back to get the gun to fire. also there is no second strike. You could manually cock the hammer except on law enf guns which have a paddle hammer which you could not get a hold on.
geo ><>

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gunnut,
George is in Doylestown north of Philly. He is probably about 1.5-2 hours from Hburg. I have had him work on all my Paras and they run great. It is definetly worth the trip. Give him call and get on the list. They'll call when they are ready for your gun and you go drop it off. Some guys have you send them in and they sit around for 5 months before any work gets done, with George you send it when he's ready to do the work. He runs a class operation. I wouldn't use anyone else. The Number is (215)348-9892.

·
Registered
445 Posts
THANKS RECON!GUNNUTS HERE,Did you see the new PRA-ORD on the last page of AUG. Handguns ?thats the one I want to take to George,Thanks for the Info.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No haven't seen the mag yet. If you can't find one give Dan Smith at Sinterfire a call. He got my p-16 limited LDA in back in april or may. I still haven't seen any in the local shops. If you take it to George you'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
It can be done, but it's not recommended. After all, the hammer doesn't know if its the recoiling slide or your thumb that's moving it back.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I thought the LDA was a DAO setup. Many models don't even have a spur on the trigger. What good would hand cocking it do?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
The LDA is more like a modified SA than it is a DAO. Instead of thumb cocking, you'd probably be better off cycling the slide in case you have a bad round.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts