1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my brand new ECO in 45acp from my FFL a day ago and shot it today. First mag was fine, second mag was fine and the the 3rd. mag had a double fire. I wasn't prepared for it, but my high thumbs forward grip prevented it from going anywhere. I put in another mag with only two rounds and it did it again. I stopped shooting and was pretty disappointed all the way home.

The second thing is when I got it home from my FFL the trigger pull was a little under 3lbs. Way too light if you ask me. I'd normally just fix this myself if it was a 1911 I've had for some time, but I'd rather let DW take care of it since it's new with less than 20 rounds through it.

Looks like I'll be calling DW tomorrow for info about sending it back. In case you're wondering it is indeed new and no modifications were done to it. Do they pay for shipping and what kind of turn around times do they have?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Are you unintentionally bump firing it due the light trigger/short reset, or is it going full auto until the mag dumps completely?

I agree the trigger is too light for that particular pistol.......4.5-5.5+# would be better IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you unintentionally bump firing it due the light trigger/short reset, or is it going full auto until the mag dumps completely?

I agree the trigger is too light for that particular pistol.......4.5-5.5+# would be better IMO.
I thought about that, but the recoil wasn't bad at all and I held back the trigger with considerable pressure when I put the mag in with 2 rounds. The first 2 mags were fine, then I got through 2 or 3 rounds before it double fired on the third. I also remember when I first got it home and the hammer dropped when racking the slide with an A-Zoom snap cap in the mag. I thought I had unintentionally pulled the trigger even though I had it pulled back the entire time. I know this isn't the case now and I haven't even bothered taking it apart so they can see it as-is.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
This should be looked at by DW - my guess is they'll pick up the shipping charges. August is vacation month - but I'd be real surprised if the turn around time was more than 3 weeks - but more likely under 2.

It shouldn't be a complicated fix. Frustrating but enjoy the A1 in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
^^^ This DW will repair it and ship it on there Dime I'm sure. Sorry to hear of the issue But they will make it right in the end. I also agree that 3Lb on that pistol is to light it should be 4.5 Minimum I would think...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
........... the hammer dropped when racking the slide.....
There you go. Needs trigger work........return to the mothership. Easy fix.

They'll set the trigger up for whatever weight you specify.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Op I would let them fix it too. I know from experience their cust service is second to none. You are in good hands and will get it back right. But I know even a couple of weeks is a bummer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They will pay for shipping, turnaround time can be 3 weeks.. youll get a nice email weekly from them on the process.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses :)

I'll call them first thing tomorrow so I can have it back in my hands sooner than later. I'm going to tell them to set the trigger pull at 4.5lbs.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Could the overtravel screw be the issue? It may have backed out.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
OP - That is a bummer for sure. But have no fear, DW will take care of this for you.

barmandr - typically overtravel screw issues cause the gun not to fire as the screw will come out to far and prevent the trigger from going back far enough to trip the sear. If it were to screw into the trigger to far the back of the trigger should (<<< key word there though) hit the drop down block on the gs arm. My Colt Defender did not even come with an overtravel screw and used the gs to stop it.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I am not a gunsmith and don't pretend to be one. So here is my opinion on the matter, it sounds as if the sear spring isn't bent properly and is not engaging the disconnector. The left and center arm of the sear spring also affect trigger pull, which would also explain why the trigger is so light.

If that is indeed the problem, it is a really easy fix.

Here is a good read on the subject:

http://www.shotgunnews.com/guns/handguns/1911s/the-1911-sear-springs/

If I am wrong in my assessment of the matter, please feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I am not a gunsmith and don't pretend to be one. So here is my opinion on the matter, it sounds as if the sear spring isn't bent properly and is not engaging the disconnector. The left and center arm of the sear spring also affect trigger pull, which would also explain why the trigger is so light.

If that is indeed the problem, it is a really easy fix.

Here is a good read on the subject:

http://www.shotgunnews.com/guns/handguns/1911s/the-1911-sear-springs/

If I am wrong in my assessment of the matter, please feel free to correct me.
It could be related to the sear spring or be a combination of things - including the hammer hooks, etc. this is why, IMHO, it's best for DW to look at it and resolve it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the same problem with double fire. Yes, scary and dangerous.

I was 90% convinced it was the weapon as it happened with other shooters.

Yet, there is the remaining 10% double that it is operator error.

Repair time was 60 days for a warranty issue (finish) and the double shooting, plus a decent amount of custom work along with Duty Treat.

I put 150 rounds through after it returned and there is no double shots.

Send it in. I bet the fastest thing to fix for me was the double shooting.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It could be the spring or something else like NDL said. I'd open it up and fix it myself if it wasn't brand new under warranty. I'm no stranger to 1911s since I've built a few, worked on many and have owned 15 of them now from different manufactures.

DW called me back today and sent a shipping label. I told them about the problem as well as wanting a 4.5# trigger pull. When I called DW the first time the receptionist said they've been very busy lately so hopefully it won't be too long before I get it back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I had the same problem with double fire. Yes, scary and dangerous.

I was 90% convinced it was the weapon as it happened with other shooters.

Yet, there is the remaining 10% double that it is operator error.

Repair time was 60 days for a warranty issue (finish) and the double shooting, plus a decent amount of custom work along with Duty Treat.

I put 150 rounds through after it returned and there is no double shots.

Send it in. I bet the fastest thing to fix for me was the double shooting.
I have no doubt that it'll be made right. I have a few 1911s with 3.5# trigger pulls so I know it's not me. For a carry gun 4-4.5# is just right. What's funny is the range guys asked me if I oiled my firing pin when I told them what happened. I said "nope, never". The one guy replied that I should and that he does with all of his guns. I then told him "no you want to keep that free of any oil" which was met with a disagreement from the guy so I just said okay and left.

I shot my 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless at this range and had a few hiccups due to an old recoil spring. I was going to just bring it home and put in a new spring, but when the "gunsmith" overheard the conversation I had with one of the employees he asked to take a look at it. I said sure and when he came back out of the shop he said my firing pin was broken in two pieces and that he could make me a new one for $25. :dope: I said "okay I'll see about it" and left the store after he reassembled the pistol. For those that don't know, the 1903 is supposed to have a two piece firing pin. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
It could be the spring or something else like NDL said. I'd open it up and fix it myself if it wasn't brand new under warranty. I'm no stranger to 1911s since I've built a few, worked on many and have owned 15 of them now from different manufactures.

DW called me back today and sent a shipping label. I told them about the problem as well as wanting a 4.5# trigger pull. When I called DW the first time the receptionist said they've been very busy lately so hopefully it won't be too long before I get it back.
At the very least I would pull the MSH and at least look at how the sear spring arms are sitting. If that is indeed the problem, you could save yourself the month or 2 you would be without it, especially since you are familiar with how everything functions.

But, it's yours, so do as you wish.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
At the very least I would pull the MSH and at least look at how the sear spring arms are sitting. If that is indeed the problem, you could save yourself the month or 2 you would be without it, especially since you are familiar with how everything functions.

But, it's yours, so do as you wish.
I'd rather let the manufacture see their problem whatever it is and correct it not only on my 1911, but on the assembly line itself. Maybe someone didn't have their morning coffee and threw in leaf springs without testing the pull or maybe something else. In any case the ECO is already on it's way back with an overnight FedEx shipping label. Maybe they'll throw in a free mag, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My guess is it will come across Glenn's desk as soon as it gets there and he'll take the time to knock it out since it is an easy fix. I'm betting you'll get it back sooner than later.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd rather let the manufacture see their problem whatever it is and correct it not only on my 1911, but on the assembly line itself. Maybe someone didn't have their morning coffee and threw in leaf springs without testing the pull or maybe something else. In any case the ECO is already on it's way back with an overnight FedEx shipping label. Maybe they'll throw in a free mag, but I doubt it.
This is the best plan of action. It's a brand new pistol. I'm sure DW will make it right.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts