1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a used kimber series 1 pro carry in mint condition, but cannot disasemble it. I can get the slide off the frame, but thats it. Does it use a special tool? It has the bull barrel so I thought I didn;t need a tool. Could I get a little advise from you fine kimber folks. Thanks in advance. new to Kimbers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Lock the slide back and look at the guide rod. You'll see a small hole. You need to stick something in the hole (like a bent paper clip or really small allen wrench) That will keep the recoil spring compressed so you can disassemble the pistol the rest of the way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks alot statsher. Do I just leave the paper clip in the hole I guess while cleaning? Reasemble the same way?

·
Premium Member
20,297 Posts
Capture the recoil spring before you pull the top off, much easier! If you want to clean the spring & guide rod, or change the spring (should be done more often on these), simply insert the assembly back into the empty slide and push on the rear of the guide rod, letting the paperclip fall free,

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Capture the recoil spring before you pull the top off, much easier! If you want to clean the spring & guide rod, or change the spring (should be done more often on these), simply insert the assembly back into the empty slide and push on the rear of the guide rod, letting the paperclip fall free,
What??? No diagrams?? :D

·
Premium Member
20,297 Posts
You've got the copyright. I knew you'd show up, Kruzr! ;)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Once the spring is removed, is there a trick to getting it compressed back onto the rod and recapturing it with the clip?

H

·
Premium Member
20,297 Posts
I hold the slide upside down in my right hand, insert the spring/rod and push the rear of the guide rod forward with my right thumb until the takedown hole is visible. Insert the tool and you're ready to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks AZ and to all. I got it cleaned. You would think there would be an easier way. Again Thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
glockboy said:
Thanks AZ and to all. I got it cleaned. You would think there would be an easier way. Again Thanks.
FLGR + No Bushing = capture pin hole. Works pretty well, but does detract from the 1911's justly renowned no-tool field strip capability.

But I love my Pro Carry anyway :cool: :D

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
call Kimber, they will ship you a new owners man and several "take down" tools, free.... Be carful about using a paper clip, I used one and the spring pressure sheared the clip and then it was a real pain in the ass to get back with that small portion of paper clip jamed in it,,, just a warning...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts