1911Forum banner

Disassemble Colt .22LR Conversion Kit Magazine?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  824tsv 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to disassemble this magazine? Mine is old and gummy, but otherwise in excellent shape. I'd like to take it down to thoroughly clean it, but don't know how. The floorplate is pinned and staked, so that's not an option.

Thanks,

jv

See less See more
#2 ·
I have two of those, and have never tried to take them apart.
You could try boiling the whole assembly for an hour, then soaking it with alcohol to remove the water that doesn't evaporate off the surface.

#4 ·
Does anyone know how to disassemble this magazine? Mine is old and gummy, but otherwise in excellent shape. I'd like to take it down to thoroughly clean it, but don't know how. The floorplate is pinned and staked, so that's not an option.
Fairly warm in an oil bath will gradually remove the “waxy build-up”. Allow to dry, repeat. Needn’t be perfect. Looks as though the follower is metal ... so shouldn’t be a problem.

After it’s good-enough, the UltraSonic will remove debris and dirt not embedded in the remaining wax.

However: in your place (with a different conversion kit), I ordered some GSG magazines. The GSGs have run all of my conversions: seven examples of five models. Only disadvantage is that they engage the slide-stop on my Kimber kits ... those kits are not intended for lock-back-on-empty. Having no Colt kit, I do have one Colt kit magazine; it appears very similar to the GSGs. The GSGs are not too expensive (used to be much less ~$15); my thought is worth a try compared to a long and laborious effort to clean a magazine when the spring may also be near end-of-useful-life.

#5 ·
You disassemble the magazine by driving the pins out at the bottom. They come out easily. The baseplate is under spring pressure so be for warned. Replacement magazine springs for Colt or Metalform magazines can be purchased from Marvel Precision.

#7 ·
Blast it out with spray solvent. Use electronics cleaner to protect the finish, not brake cleaner. CRC electronics cleaner is a good one for sensitive items. Failing that, just use mineral spirits - soak for awhile, swish around in the solvent then blow out with air or let drain/dry. Same for any mag you don't want to take apart.

#11 ·
I have 2 Colt .22 Conversion Units and the GSG magazines work perfectly in both. Just another option for extra magazines that won’t put you in the poor house. As I’m sure you are aware original OEM Colt magazines are expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.