1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this was addressed in the new Tactical Handgunner Annual but I wanted to ask this here.

I am trying to put together a disaster kit after I saw everything that went on with Hurricane Katrina. I've got everything else covered but I wanted to ask what type of pistol you guys would recommend to finish off the kit? Also what type of ammo? The pistol that was recommended in THA seemed like a great pistol but I just want the opinions of others as well.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Darengin said:
I know that this was addressed in the new Tactical Handgunner Annual but I wanted to ask this here.

I am trying to put together a disaster kit after I saw everything that went on with Hurricane Katrina. I've got everything else covered but I wanted to ask what type of pistol you guys would recommend to finish off the kit? Also what type of ammo? The pistol that was recommended in THA seemed like a great pistol but I just want the opinions of others as well.

Thanks in advance guys.
Not having seen the article, my disaster pistol would be a Glock 19. Lightweight gun and ammo, high capacity, low maintenance, very reliable, very concealable, virtually rustproof.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having trouble remembering the name of the pistol

Kel-Tec Robbarized something or other it was a .32

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nix on the .32. IMO. I thinm a good solid disaster kit needs two pistols. One a defensive handgun, whatever you like, I'd choose a .45 ACP 1911, but a Glock in 9mm or .45 would do. Stick to common calibers with easy to find ammo, as in 9mm, .45, and .38/.357. Also consider availability of Magazines, which may be limited which makes a good case for a revolver.
the second gun should be a .22 long rifle. Easiest ammo to find, easiest to pack in bulk. Not good for self defense but better than a big stick, and good for small game and other such survival type needs when you are exiled from the urban sprawl.
Type of ammo is your call. I'd make the .22 a revolver for sure, because I've seen a lot of autos only work with certain kinds of ammo.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I'm almost on board with Higgy, . . . just nix on the suggestion of a .22 revolver. We have 2 Browning Buckmarks (10 in silouhette shooter, and a 4 in camper version), . . . both would go with us.

Springfield .45 1911 is the other choice out of my stable for sure.

++On the idea of ammo availability for both, . . . my bug out bag has an ample supply for each, . . . but I have only 6 magazines for the .45 and one each for the Brownings.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! yeah I thought the .32 might not cut it, I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vandal said:
Robar-ized Kel-Tec? Talk about making a silk purse from a sow's ear...
thats actually what I thought lol that why I asked here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Disaster kit!

Here is my .02, 1911/.45ACP-S&W revolver(anyone in your family can be a quick learn w/it)12 GA.shotgun and ammo,ammo,ammo....

BRUNO1911

1 - 11 of 11 Posts