1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time, I am experiencing "disconnector click" in one of my guns. Just after the trigger compresses the disconnector against the sear, and before the break, there is a distinctly felt and heard "click". I have read about this in gunsmithing books, but have never felt it. The gun is a Colt M1991A1, that has had the slide lowered/tightened, and a SV disconnector. It didn't do this before the slide/frame fit. I measured the (new) disconnector, and found it to be .010" below minimum length. The disconnector, in spite of its length is working properly; it seems to be "on the cam" when the slide is locked. Is deepening the disconnector slot still the favored way to remove the click? Should I be looking for some other culprit?

·
Super Moderator
7,880 Posts
I just deepen and lengthen the disconnector notch on all my 1911's before I even start the trigger job.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I deepen mine too. Whatever you do, don't shorten the disconnector.

There is a chance that maybe your disconnector is simply binding, then springing up into position. I would first make sure that the disconnector tunnel is free of crud. I also would polish the back of the trigger bow where the disconnector touchs it, and the the bottom of the disconnector where the sear spring touchs it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. All of the internals are polished (I completely disassembled the gun, and re-polished everything, from the trigger bow to the inside of the mainspring housing). When I shine a flashlight up the mag well, I can see the tip of the disconnector move just as I hear the click, so I know the problem is at the top. What's the proper tool? Hallock's says to use a "gouge"; is that an actual tool name? Doesn't conjur up images of precision, does it?

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I would take a different approach.
wile lengthning the slot would probably work.

We use a longer disconector, the reason is the length keeps the bottom off the sear pin. On a really light trigger you can feel the disconector drag across the pin. the Longer disc. keeps it from hitting the pin. than we stake behind the disconector to load it forward so it does not click or move. you do not want it too tight as to keep the disconector from poping up when the gun is in battery.

As an aside make sure if you change the disconector, when the trigger is pulled back that it does not bind in the hole. some do and it will make the gun sluggish going forward or worse
geo ><>

for a gouge or scraper a piece of tool steel square 1/8 works very nice

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by George Smith:

for a gouge or scraper a piece of tool steel square 1/8 works very nice
Brownells also sells a disconnector notch scraper tool. Good advice from George as well, about the longer disconnector.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I agree with George on both counts. And on the staking behind the disconnector crown, I usually put two small dimples in a tight semi-circle behind it and then smooth it out so it won't bind. Works beautifully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts