1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am just another fella who I am sure isn't alone here, but in the same sence I feel I am. I am an armed guard, witch means I carry a gun ! I also carry off duty witch means I carry a gun ! Well guns have been a part of my life all my life, so to me the issue of "guns" are second nature to me. I have what some call a dry cop sence of humor. I joke about guns, and knives alot. Second nature to me ! As I am sure it's the same for most of you too. Well today I was home, and was getting ready for work, and the baby was at my feet wanting to be picked up. Someone commented that she knew I was leaving for work. Well I made the joke that I could get her a baby duty belt, and give her my American Arms minni .22 and a holster, and we could work together. Ok, here that was a joke I made.... Well because of that joke the room went silent, and I was made to look like a piece of **** because of my joke. This now opens my eyes to peoples character and how much a person can tell you one thing to your face, and totally say oposit behind your back.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Just reply back that if it's good enough for Dad, it's good enough for the little one...WHEN SHE COMES OF AGE! By that time, she'll have plenty of time to go out with you to the range or forest, and learn the right way to handle a firearm.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. These days some people don't have any humor about guns. I don't understand it myself though. It seems that some people are too stupid to get it.

Of course you are not serious about giving your baby daughter your handguns!! What do people think. I'm sure you will wait till she is at least 5 or 6!!

Luke

·
Registered
388 Posts
D.Roeder,

Similar deal here on topics including firearms (having been raised by hippies, nudity jokes is another sore spot w/ *some* adults -- no children present). The children were raised around them and firearms have been such a daily part of my life for so long, I make the same types of jokes.

Some, however, are not jokes as the children are excellent shots. They have been shooting literally since being in diapers. They respect firearms as potentially deadly tools and afford them due respect & treatment. The only time I am truly concerned is when other people's children are in the house since they generally were not raised around firearms. The children choose to not speak of firearms outside of the home and their friends are usually oblivious to the fact that firearms even exist here when they visit. Some smart kids, IMHO.

On topic: Yep, it used to burn me up when people reacted in such an 'overboard' manner to a simple joke. Anymore, I honestly could care less. You know the old saying; "____ 'em if they can't take a joke!" :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
That's ridiculous. Not only as a member of the "gun culture" but as someone that knows how to appreciate a good joke no matter what set of beliefs and morals the one telling it has, you are NOT out of line. It was a harmless joke. If you handed your daughter the .22 it would be different (I'd still laugh as long as it wasn't loaded, for what it's worth) but you didn't. And furthermore it was YOUR OWN DAUGHTER that you made the joke about! People should know that you wouldn't put your own daughter in harms way, especially if you care about the common good enough to be an armed guard! You need to start hanging out with some new people, because anyone who wouldn't get that you were just "makin' a funny" is dumb. No offense.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Oh, boy! I really don't trust people who have no sense of humor. You knew what you meant, and you can't go through life worrying about what the idiots might think, as they will use the fact that you do care to control you or to try to make you feel as miserable as they usually do.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Well today I was home, and was getting ready for work, and the baby was at my feet wanting to be picked up. Someone commented that she knew I was leaving for work....Well because of that joke the room went silent, and I was made to look like a piece of **** because of my joke.
I'm sure there's something more I'm missing, but just how many people were at your house, and what were they all doing there while you were getting ready for work? Family? Friends?

If people are in my house and giving me grief, they can pack their $hit up and get a move on. :eek: :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
There has been more that one time when I made a comment similar to that and made a room go silent. I was in a meeting at the office once when a courior arrived with a package for me (It is a small business, so the courier came right to the room the meeting was in). I signed for the package and opened it up right on the spot. It was a replacement barrel for a 30-30 that I was waiting for. I was all smiles about getting it so quickly - then I noticed the silence in the room. The owner of the company that I work for thought that it was funny but everyone else (about 12 people) had a look of horror on their face. A few people left the room. Not one of my finer moments.:)

As far as the comment that you made - take a look at my posting in this section labeled "young Gunsmith". It is a good picture to show your friends.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Well today I was home, and was getting ready for work, and the baby was at my feet wanting to be picked up. Someone commented that she knew I was leaving for work. Well I made the joke that I could get her a baby duty belt, and give her my American Arms minni .22 and a holster, and we could work together. Ok, here that was a joke I made.... Well because of that joke the room went silent, and I was made to look like a piece of **** because of my joke.
Anyone that's in my house while I get ready to go to work, that doesn't like guns and tries to make me feel small because of their opinion, will be told to make sure the screen door doesn't hit them on their way out. Their prejudice stays outside of my house, or they do.

Other side of that coin is you now know who - not - to invite anywhere, again. Saves you some money :biglaugh:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ok man this was your house right, who exactly was chewing you out? If it was someone other than your wife I would tell em to get the hell out of the house. I don't care how much you disagree with someone on any topic if you are in their home you treat them with respect, if someone comes in to my home and doesn't give me the kind of respect I would give them in theirs, then they get a swift kick out the door and are not welcome back period.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Then again - how smart is it to be rude to someone who owns a gun?:confused: - especially in his own house?:confused:

This is one of those comments that get me in trouble - :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
'You know the old saying; "____ 'em if they can't take a joke!" '

If they can't take a Joke, I don't want to get close enough to "____ 'em."

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree with most that have posted. Don’t let it get to you. Some people just don’t get a joke. Please do wait until she's of age. It is 5 right? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Personally, I think this falls beyond the "can't take a joke" thing. If those people reacted like that to something so obviously ridiculous, it says something more about their IQ than their sense of humor! I hope they weren't relatives...

H :mummy:

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Our first grandchild was born 12-5-06, a little girl. I happened to visit my favorite gun hang-out and low and behold......a pink .22 rifle! This Davey Crickett rifle is manufactured by Keystone Sporting Arms, Inc. in Milton, PA. It has a 15" brl. and 31" overall. A small, single shot .22.....in pink! Many of you have probably seen these pieces which come with either laminate or wood stocks, membership in the Davey Crickett Club, chances to purchase a Davey Crickett cap, etc. I thought it was cute and I bought it for my grand daughter's first Christmas present (she would be 20 days old by then.)

You talk about a mess! As stated earlier the room went dead. Oh, there was some nervous laughter scattered about. But you'd think I'd posted her picture in Hustler!

I finally worked my way out of it and after the shock wore off those present realized it was just a joke. All was well thereafter.

Since then I've gotten her a pink and black toy chain saw and a pink and black miniature Harley engineered as a rocking horse. Grandpa is just considered nuts and that's that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Actually, I would not have done that as a joke but as a serious gift. I would, of course, have given her something she could play with at her age as well, but would have also given her the rifle for the parents to keep until she was old enough to go out with Grandpa, Mom, Dad, etc to shoot it.

A starter rifle at the birth of each grandchild has always been in my personal plans and the children know it, BTW.

Perhaps I am a gun-nut or just a plain nut but my children full well expect such gifts from 'Grandpa' when/if they begin having little ones. They will simply store the gift away until that special time when the child it ready. Who knows, I might not even be alive by the time the child is old enough to shoot it. To me, it is another tool; albeit of a special category but perhaps the child will appreciate the thought of the future in Grandpa purchasing that tool special just for them. At least they will all have an opportunity to learn how to shoot! :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Unfortunatly we are in an age of being politically correct. Some of us could care less, but others think you must be politically correct in everything you do.
As you all well know, talking about giving guns is not politically correct.
By the way political correctness is the "thought, as pushed by the media, that you can pick up a turd by the clean end"
I think you daughter needs a pink 22.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts