1911Forum banner

Discontinued Tools

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  catfish 
#1 ·
When placing a recent order with Brownell's, I was informed that the Tom Wilson Lug Cutter and the Cherry Corners 1911 barrel alignment blocks are "discontinued by the manufacturer". I am just getting started and would like to have these tools. Does anyone know of other manufacturers of similar tools? Making them myself is not an option at the present time.

#2 ·
Catfish
Call the manufacturers direct. Just because Brownells quits selling it, does not mean it is not still being made.

------------------
Chris from va

#7 ·
Looks like I got the troops moving on this one. Brownells gave me the number of Wilson, but I have not called yet. Its 800-992-9249.By the way, it appears that Brownells web site is implying the Cherry Corners S&W 9mm alignment block as fitting both the S&W and the 1911. It does not fit my Commander 9mm barrel. I think that when they ran out of stock on the 1911 block, they forgot to alter the web page. Thank you all for responding to my very first post on this forum.

------------------
Thanks,
Catfish

"You never know 'til you find out." Erik Vines, Age 3

#8 ·
Cherry Corners made separate blocks for S&W 9mm guns. Not the same as 1911. I have no doubt that Brownells will manufacture/sell these under license if someone else doesn't.
Tom Wilson made a lot of different tooling for handguns. I hope someone picks up his designs as well.

#9 ·
I spoke with Tom Wilson today. He is a very nice guy.

He is still making the lug cutter and his other tools, they are available directly from him. Just call him at 800 992 9249.

FWIW I like his lug cutter and highly recommend it.

------------------
MD Labs/Mad Dog Knives

#12 ·
Harley 45, he might have been thinking about Bud Brown of Cherry Corners. I read some where on the web that he had to quit gunsmithing due to carpal tunnel.Did not hear that he passed away though.
Looks like Hilton GZ got my lug cutter!

#14 ·
Brownells has a policy.
if a product does not sell 750.00 profit per colum inch per catalog the part gets droped.

Just contact the manufacture, many more times than not your favorite tool, part, or jig is still being made, just not carried by Brownells any longer.

In the past 10 years we have probably had 50 parts droped. fortunatly we have a couple still in there

Tools typically sell well the first 2 years and drop off. The hood length gauge sold over 100 per year for the first 2 years, and was droped, we still sell 35 per year though.
geo ><>

#15 ·
George is correct. We have also had quite a few products cut from Brownells catalog. Before we had a web site there was not much of a way to sell them once they were dropped from the catalog. I suggest searching for web sites of the manufacturers, I know some don't yet have sites but I know of quite a few guys are working on getting one up. The tool market is a very tough market to be in as George said, hot for a while then you fill the need. We have just finished a cool project for the home Pistolsmith. We just did a 1911 barrel fitting video. It is the first video I have done and I am waiting to see the finished version. I did learn one thing, I should not quit my day job, LOL!
God Bless
Jack Weigand
Weigand Combat Handguns

#17 ·
Spoke with Tom Wilson this A.M. He has about 18 Lug Cutters left in the .187 dia, and none of the .196. He told me that after these are gone there will be no more from him.

Catfish

#19 ·
The video. Delivery all depends on how the finished product looks, LOL! I have not seen the final product so I am not sure. And for BBBBill, yes it was your idea, LOL! The video company is editing the product as we speak but I am not sure when we will see it. I will post here when I have product to ship. As long as no more footage has to be shot I don't think it will be long. Just keep in mind this is an educational video not a Hollywood production. Ok thanks for the interest.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

#22 ·
Having attended Jack's 1911 accurizing class this past summer, I think I can safely tell all of you to buy this tape. Jack has a good delivery and for damn sure knows his material. This should be the next best thing to going to the class. I'll order one myself, as I didn't take as many notes in class as I should have. I'm now having to try to remember subtle things that weren't foremost in mind during the class, but have encountered since then.

Catfish: If you have a milling machine, you should look into buying Jack's barrel fitting fixture. I have been using one since he put it on the market and I can do a much more repeatable fitting job with it, compared to the Wilson lug cutter, plus Jack's tool lets you machine the hood width and length at the same time. Again, more repeatable than the file and try-fit method.

Best Regards,
John Harrison

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.