1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukkah to all.

Let's say you have a beloved M1911 pistol. You don't even like your wife messing with it. You want to put a Ambidextrous mag release on it, and you spotted the appropriate part on Brownell's. You notice the disclaimer states "some gunsmithing". Does this mean if you love your pistol that you should not do this yourself? I know it depends on skill level, and I can operate a drill/tap and screwdriver, but is this something that should be done by a professional?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
975 Posts
Ambi mag releases are in the same world as extended slide releases.
Not worth too much (I'm being kind cause it is Christmas)
You are better off buying a box of ammo than putting a worthless piece of crap on you blaster.

Mike

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think you will find that it is not too difficult to install.
If it is worthwhile to have or not, is up to you. I know at least one very good shooter who releases the magazine with his trigger finger and says that it is much faster because he has smaller hands and has to shift his grip too much to reach the mag release.
Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being a left-handed shooter can be confusing. I have used my trigger finger, although, if the button gets stiff then my trigger finger is not strong enough. I will have to compare my two pistols, the one with the ambi-release and the one without.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
673 Posts
If the spring is too stiff then get a lighter spring Brownnels has them. This will let you depress the mag release with out have the fingers of King Kong.
Ed

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
left hander's help

At my gun mechanic's suggestion, I took a bit off, maybe a full coil, from the mag release spring. I also polished the mag spring catch and button. It sure made trigger finger manipulation of the mag button easier. I'll look at the reduced power springs next time I'm browsing Brownell's, didn't know there was such an animal.
EDIT/ADD: I forgot, I also put on McCormick extended button, only very slightly longer but it helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You really want to go to a reduce or light spring rather than cut the coils. I will just say that it will work better in the not very long run.
Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I decided to take the ambi mag release out of my SA TRP OP and put it into my SA TGO. Fits fine, but I notice the release does not depress far enough when I press the release from the right side. Works fine from the left. Yet it works fine in the TRP OP. I compare the two and notice there is a groove that runs perpendicular to the opening that allows the right side to depress feely. Is this normal, or do the Smith & Alexender not require this kind of modification? I wonder if this is required to install an Ambi Mag release? If so, how do you create such a groove or would I be better off going to a good Gunsmith?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts