1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the Kobra is $1895 from their site, is that what one would expect to actually pay?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My experience, while somewhat limited, is that you pay full cost, less perhaps some association or membeship percentage discount.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Price on Ed Brown

I've had the good fortune to purchase 2 guns recently. Kobra Carry SS and a full size SS Kobra. I've received the Kobra Carry and am awaiting delivery for the Full Size gun, paying full retail for both. I have no problem with this as that I view Ed Brown's products as worth every cent.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
We've got several reputable dealers active on our forum. Do a little research and call them! I don't believe you'll pay over retail.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm still not sure what I'll wind up with, but I never realized that Ed Brown guns were in the $2k ballpark. I always thought they were more like $3k, and was just wondering if those prices were accurate. Trying to budget out some money after the holidays for something nice.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Norman, you were correct in your thinking, The Kobra's are all in the 3K range, give me a call and I will set you up:p . Got your attention didn't I. Actually AZ is correct. Do your homework and have fun... Be very Carefull with the Browns, they are habit forming.

·
Super Moderator
1,895 Posts
The previous posters are right on.

Do your research.

Ed Brown products as well as any product sells at all three price points. Above, at and below.

The old adage of supply and demand.

Pricing is regional

If you are in an area where the gun is or any gun is hard to get and there are lots of restrictions there will a higher price point.

If you are in an area where low demand, several gun store within a close area and a gun show every couple of weeks and every one has one available the price point will be lower.

If you are a first timer at an established long term store probably not. If you have bought at the store for many years and the owner knows you by name you should do better.

But do not think the, for example only here, price of $2000 is all in the sellers pocket. After the cost of the product, cost of overhead (being able to open the doors the next day), the net to the business is often 3% plus or minus a percent or two.

Anyway.

Do not forget shipping and transfer fees if you buy online and have it transferred to your local dealer.

You would do wise to check the reputation of the seller if the deal is too good to be true. Everyone of us knows someone who has been burned if we have not.

You read about the way too good deals all of the time.

Think about the cost of your time and how much you spend looking. I work a lot of gun shows (about 30 a year) and part time in a store and I see the same faces who spend a parking fee, entry fee about 5 to 10 times over a period of 3 to 6 months which equates to maybe 5 to 10 free days and about $150 plus or minus some. All that to save $50. I know there is the thrill of the "hunt" for the best deal and the social contacts at gun shows and stores

When whomever said do you research he was right on but my tag line was learned from my experience (my goof's) and wisdom gained from others (seeing their goof's).

Have fun in your quest for the best.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PT-Partners said:
snip...
But do not think the, for example only here, price of $2000 is all in the sellers pocket. After the cost of the product, cost of overhead (being able to open the doors the next day), the net to the business is often 3% plus or minus a percent or two.

Anyway.

Do not forget shipping and transfer fees if you buy online and have it transferred to your local dealer.

You would do wise to check the reputation of the seller if the deal is too good to be true. Everyone of us knows someone who has been burned if we have not.

You read about the way too good deals all of the time.

Think about the cost of your time and how much you spend looking. I work a lot of gun shows (about 30 a year) and part time in a store and I see the same faces who spend a parking fee, entry fee about 5 to 10 times over a period of 3 to 6 months which equates to maybe 5 to 10 free days and about $150 plus or minus some. All that to save $50. I know there is the thrill of the "hunt" for the best deal and the social contacts at gun shows and stores

When whomever said do you research he was right on but my tag line was learned from my experience (my goof's) and wisdom gained from others (seeing their goof's).

Have fun in your quest for the best.
thanks I know all of that all too well, as I once sold guns myself. We didn't do gunshows, but I know exactly what you're saying. We had customers that would drive 2 hours to save $10, doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've found (especially) in the last two years, that the economy has hit the high-flyers especially hard, and one of the 'expendable' toys that they sell first, and rather quickly, is firearms. The "quality" toys are priced so high that most folks think that even used, they're out of range; that's true only if the limit is set by "midrange dollar" standards (no insult intended here to anyone). Once I compromised that idea for myself, the cream of the crop became available to me for less than 25% more than I intended to pay for my originally desired gun/toy. I've bought and sold some things just to fund another project. I found a Baer PII for $800; sold it the day I took delivery for $1200.

Sellers out of work from the high tech industries seem especially "eager" to bargain during these tough times. As PT says, "pricing is regional", but if you're willing to buy via internet, the entire country is open to you. I've found several "too sweet" deals, and they seem to be geographically located in the Northwest (Boeing country), the Midwest, and the Deep South. I've spent about the next 4 years' budget on these deals. They're still out there if one has patience. I bought a $1350 Nightforce NSX for $750 shipped; a Leica Televid 20-60x80mm angled APO for $775 shipped, and on and on. My most prized find is a Wilson Super Grade in excellent condition that I found last year for $1800.

http://www.egunz.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=718051630 This was an unfired LNIB Kobra Carry that I bought for $1200. I almost just let a thousand dollar bid stand, but I'da killed myself if I lost the sale over $200, so I used the 'buy it now' feature. (but I was tempted; this auction board was so small that at the time [last year], this auction hadn't had any viewers in something like 28 hours.) It's just an example of the dire straights some folks are in, in this economy. The minimum bid was $1000. This Kobra Carry was actually up on GunBroker for about 3 weeks as I recall, without a winning bidder; the seller had set his reserve too high. I remember the bid got to at least $1500 before it expired. Then the gun disappeared from GunBroker, so I started scanning other sites to find it, and lo and behold...

I know this was rambling and long-winded but I hope my experiences prove that the deals are out there, and there are ways to "barter" one's way "up the ladder".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Found one at local shop for $1400 NIB - guess that the fella needed to sell the EB quick. At one time I almost let go of mine for $1600 that was still unfired; good thing I still owned it. Found some excellent deals in other 1911's recently. The economy here is bad with the gas price at the pump at ridiculous level to add to the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts