1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just bought my first SA-- A "P" model with adjustable sights, for use mostly in target shooting, but also for home defense, etc. It's a replacement for my Colt Gold Cup (it's a long story). Now I'm stuck in the 10-day waiting period required by my beloved CA. Question is: will this gun cycle properly with the SWC reloads I've always used for target shooting, or do I need to put a weaker recoil spring in it? If the latter, can SA provide the spring or do I need to shop around? The obviously answer is to wait and see what works and what doesn't, but I want to be able to practice with minimal complications once I've got the gun in my hands. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Most likely need to get a different spring. Brownells sells them, as well as Wolff, plus many others.

If you describe the SWC ammo you're using, maybe someone can give you a guideline. What velocity, or what powder and charge weight.

I use a #13 spring in my Bullseye gun, but depending on the load, others use as light as #10. I use 3.5 gr Bullseye powder, under a 200 gr LSWC.

They only cost about $7 each from Wolff directly (most complete selection) and less from Brownells (especially #10, it's about $4 at Brownells.)

·
Registered
419 Posts
More than likely it will cycle just fine. Try it and see if it works. If not go down to a 13-16 lbs spring. All my factory guns work with bullseye loads.

Paul

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks to both you guys for your advice. Problem is, I used to get these reloads when I lived back east, from an old fellow who made them up as a retirement business, and I never asked him how much powder he used with the 200gr swc. I'll post again when I've got the gun in hand and see whether or not it cycles these rounds; I think I'll pick up a box or two of 230 FMJs to play with if it doesn't, while I go looking for a softer spring.

Thanks again! Great forum!

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I have 3 SA 1911's with the TRP Operator, SS TRP and the Compact.

I have been shooting up some old 200 grn SWC I loaded up years ago for IPSC matches and it functions fine for me.

I also reload 230 LRN as well as shoot factory 230 FMJ and not a problem.

You might want to check OAL and be sure they are at 1.25 or less. I loaded a bunch the 1st time out with a new setup at 1.27 and none of the SA 1911's liked it.

Good luck

Karsten

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OAL

OK, I've tried to avoid this, but I've no choice but to admit my ignorance. What measurement does OAL refer to? It sounds like it might be important, so I'll violate the first guy rule and stop to ask for directions.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Over-All Length.

Also known as COL = Cartridge Overall Length.

These are the same, length, from bottom of brass case base to the tip of the bullet.

For IPSC rounds I use 1.250, even with 230 gr Lead Round Nose.

Target loads might be 185 gr, at 1.240, all the way down to 1.115 as I recall.

Just because the thing cycles doesn't necessarily mean it is at optimum setting. If you can, observe how far away the brass hit the ground, and how consistently. Also has some influence on felt recoil, I think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Karsten:

What type of spring do you use in your TRP op for IPSC with 200gr SWC? The factory 16lb? Or a 13lb?

Thanks,

Joe

Karsten said:
I have 3 SA 1911's with the TRP Operator, SS TRP and the Compact.

I have been shooting up some old 200 grn SWC I loaded up years ago for IPSC matches and it functions fine for me.

I also reload 230 LRN as well as shoot factory 230 FMJ and not a problem.

You might want to check OAL and be sure they are at 1.25 or less. I loaded a bunch the 1st time out with a new setup at 1.27 and none of the SA 1911's liked it.

Good luck

Karsten

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I've fired several hundred rounds through my new SA Loaded Target in 45 ACP, and it's great. I prefer it to my late, lamented Gold Cup, overall. In the first round, it cycled 230n FMJ and 185 FMJ perfectly, and it has ever since. The lighter-loaded 200 SWC I brought from back east did produce several failure-to-feed, failure to eject, stovepipes, etc. But in the second visit to the range, after carefuil cleaning and lubricating, there was only one FTF, and one stovepipe. The brass does land a lot closer than the heavy stuff, but as the gun breaks in it feeds better than every, and accuracy is unaffected. I'm a happy newbie, and thanks to you all for your advice. More questions to come.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts