1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mil-spec that I purschased 6 months ago, it's works great. But I'm concerned that the extractor may break like the one on my Kimber compact. I have since replaced the Kimber's extractor and it's fine now but is this a common problem with the 1911 design?

Do I need to take a pre-emptive approach and replace the Mil-spec's stock extractor with something made by...say Wilson? And are there any other weak(prone to breakage) parts in the 1911 design that need replacing with an aftermarket one ASAP?

Note: My Kimber's extractor broke as soon as I ran Wolf ammo brand through it (3rd round). I don't buy that stuff anymore.

Megatron

·
Registered
850 Posts
The extractor is a "Critical Part" in the 1911. Actually, they are all pretty critical or JMB wouldn't have them in this perfect piece of armament.

Anyway, to answer your question. I would, and do replace the extractors on every 1911 with the Wilson "Bullet Proof" extractor. They are guaranteed for life!

Before doing this however, call Springfield and ask whos extractors they use. I know that in the past they have used Wilson Slide Locks. Maybe they have used Wilson Extractors as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts