1911Forum banner

Do I own the only Custom II on the planet?

1462 17
Hi all,
First post here at 1911forum.com. I just acquired a Kimber Custom II. I'm the second owner and took the gun as a trade. I've looked around on a few forums for information specifically about the "Custom II", but nobody seems to own them, everyone seems to own the "nicer" Kimbers. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it's in "like new" condition, has an internal extractor and looks great. Are the plain ol' Custom II's more rare than other models?

Thanks!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Welcome to 1911 Forum, kcobean! :)

The Custom II is a really nice pistol. I think the reason why many folks buy the higher priced models from Kimber is because it is considerably less expensive to buy the added features up front than to have them done later. Things like checkering would cost more to have done later and on top of that would require sending the gun away to have the work done.

Nothing wrong with the Custom IIs though. It's closer to the original John Browning design than the dressed up models.

Look forward to reading how she shoots for you and to your future participation in this forum.

· Registered
3 Posts
I've been lurking in this forum for quite awhile, but don't post too much since I'm still a n00b when it comes to the 1911.

I bought my Custom Target II a couple of years ago and have had absolutely no problems. Has about 600+ rounds using the Kimber mag that came with it along with a couple WC 47Ds and a 47T. :)

Very happy with my Kimber and I'm contemplating getting either a Colt or SA, but haven't made up my mind.

· Registered
114 Posts
Haha....I've thought about that too,cause I own a regular Stainless II myself. Seems like everyone on here owns a higher grade model in the lineup. I was considering the Custom II, but decided on the Stainless II instead 2 months back. No regrets at all...I've modded it out to look and perform quite sweetly.:rock: Have fun and welcome,dude!

· Registered
8,302 Posts
have one and love it. mine seems to be one that just really came together well. great slide to frame fit, barrel bushing fit and barrel to slide fit. she is one fine shooter and have had no problems thus far.:)

enjoy your gun.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

· Registered
68 Posts
I have had a Custom Target II for just over three years. I have no idea what my round count is, but it's not very high for three years--probably just over a thousand rounds. However, there have only been maybe four malfunctions that I remember: one due to a buddy limp wristing, the others feeding malfunctions due to my reloading questionable brass. I have no complaints with my gun, and I tend to feel like the "lower" end Kimbers are even better values than the more expensive models. You still get a lot of nice features in a tight package without approaching custom prices.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well this is great feedback to hear. Thanks guys! I traded an HK USP .40 (which is a great gun) for this gun. I'll be shooting the Kimber for the first time this weekend (along with a new HK P2000 I just bought and have yet to fire). I kinda like the plain, service oriented look of the Custom II. I hope it shoots as well as it looks. There are some real horror stories out there about Kimbers. It seems you either love 'em or you hate 'em. I hope I love mine as much as you guys seem to love yours.

See ya, and Happy Thanksgiving!

· Registered
21 Posts
Custom II

I own a Custom II with an external extractor. I really enjoy shooting it. Can't beat it. :)

· Registered
2,280 Posts
I've had great luck with my custom II. It has never jamed with high quality ammo. Every once in a while it will jam with one of my crappy reloads that I picked up off the ground at the range, but never, never, never with the good stuff.:rock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.