1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering using one of the home finishes that Brownell's offers for a Sprinfield Govt model. Can anyone describe their successes or failures with any of these products? Thanks.

Teflon/Moly Oven Cure Finish
Brownell Baking Lacquer
Aluma-Hyde II
Gun-Kote

·
Registered
233 Posts
hay's,brownell's finish's are excellent,and easy to do. i used it on a 1911 that i rebuilt. if you like i can e-mail you a picture. i just wanted something more durable than bluing. i have read and talk to other's who have used it. and they are pleased as well.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just finished the 1911 I was working on and finished it with the teflon moly. Next time I'll buy the pint can and use a spray gun. The aerosal can suck. They blop the finish on which is handy but makes it too thick looking. The lacquers don't hold up as well but they are easy to blend. If they came out with a fan valve spray can it would be better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. James Beam, I'd love to see a picture. Please send it to [email protected] .

One question: What has to be done to prep the gun. My pistol has a parkerized finish. Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
hay's i sent you a picture, let me know when you get it? your e-mail address was odd, with the spaces between the w
but i think it sent off ok. the paint in the steem is thicked while on the shelf, once that blow's out, it spray's perfectly. always test spray, befor applying any spray finish on any firearm. it cover's nicely with one coat, but as it says on the directions,two light coats. if the parts are pre-heated, it works like a charm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hayes, see my reply re Brownell's Baking Laquer, w/ pics, under the 'Gunkote' thread.

NetLar

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Netlar: Thanks for the post. Is that the dark parkerized gray, or the matte black finish? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts