1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got myself a Target Eclipse 2 years ago, great shooter. One of my friends told me kimber's have a cracking issue. Is it true? How is there service department is an issue occurs?

colt, kimber,sw 945 and I added a springfeild long slide last week.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Send me all your Kimbers that you think may crack! I will take care of them.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
:confused: Not saying it couldnt happen, but it is not common. In the old days, frames rails could crack over the slide stop hole. Most makers now, cut that part of the rail out, so no cracking problem. Even if they did crack back then, it really did not hurt anything, but was a cosmetic issue with the owners.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
:confused: Not saying it couldnt happen, but it is not common. In the old days, frames rails could crack over the slide stop hole. Most makers now, cut that part of the rail out, so no cracking problem. Even if they did crack back then, it really did not hurt anything, but was a cosmetic issue with the owners.
And this post is not referring to Kimbers, but older makes of 1911s such as um...Colt.

The only crack in the original poster's future is the kind his friend smokes.

FYI, Kimber alloy frames are tested to 75,000 rounds with no cracks. We are not even talking about the steel frames which are much stronger.

Jeesh.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I've got about 5,000 rounds through my Pro CDP. There are visible points of wear, particularly on the slide rails and where the guide rod base sits. I'm backing off shooting mine for practice purposes. It's a carry piece that you can't shoot much, basically. The slide and barrel don't show much in the way of wear at all, but the frame looks much older than it is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought it was crap, my friend also has issues with Glocks. I have been at a range where a Glock did explode, but the woman a (police officer) was shooting wolf ammo which I know has been banned at two ranges I shoot at. I asked the range owner and he told me when he made the call to wolf they just asked how much and where do they send the check.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
I thought it was crap, my friend also has issues with Glocks. I have been at a range where a Glock did explode, but the woman a (police officer) was shooting wolf ammo which I know has been banned at two ranges I shoot at. I asked the range owner and he told me when he made the call to wolf they just asked how much and where do they send the check.

I call BS on that :barf:

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I've got about 5,000 rounds through my Pro CDP. There are visible points of wear, particularly on the slide rails and where the guide rod base sits. I'm backing off shooting mine for practice purposes. It's a carry piece that you can't shoot much, basically. The slide and barrel don't show much in the way of wear at all, but the frame looks much older than it is.
I have had three CDPs. The wear you are seeing is normal. That is the black anodizing failing. Not the frame. Not even close.

I used to beat the crap out of my CDPs and they took every pounding.

Your pistol is barely shot with only 5k through it.

Now that encapsulated recoil spring is another story.

Regards,
Greyson

1 - 11 of 11 Posts