1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the begining of Sept, I came across John Hansen's website for gunsmithing services. I talked to him a couple of times and he said he would be able to perform the services I needed. I wanted an action job done on a Colt .22 Target Model, sight installation on a Beretta 92 Elite II, and cutting and re-crowning of a 1911 Govt model barrel. John agreed to do the job and the Colt 22 Target Model, Beretta slide assembly, and 1911 barrel were sent out on Sept. 8th. Every time I called to check up on it, John would reply that he was busy and would get to it later. Finally at the begining of Oct., John stopped answering my phone calls, never called me back after numerous messages left on his voicemail, and never responded to e-mail either. I had to call up the Police Dept. in his area and they went out and talked to him. He finally called me back after that and said he was told by the officer that he was being negligent and would call me the next day to tell me if he could do the work or not. After I did not receive a call from him the next day, I called him the following day and he said that he couldn't do any of the work and would send my items back to me. This was around Oct. 11th. After numerous unanswered calles and unreturned messages, I still have not received my items back as of Oct. 22, 2001. I feel like I have been patient with John Hasen and he is refusing to return my items. I have already contacted the BBB about this. Do any of you guys have any other ideas on what I can do to reclaim my items? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Some of the old timers around here can point you in the right direction. There was some type of problem with a smith similiar to this earlier. I don't remember all the details.

Email me and I'll let you know where to get work done right Semi-locally.

Gator

------------------
www.afn.org/~guns

[This message has been edited by swampgator (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
JohnUF78:

Did you have a verbal or written agreement with this person to do the work? Did you send the firearms "return receipt". If you have any of the above to prove that this person actually has your property, you can try filing a complaint for larceny(larceny by fraud or deception, model penal code sect: 223.3) against this individual in criminal court. I would call the police department that sent the officers to investigate and request a copy of the police report. If the magistrate at the court feels you have a complaint, he will issue a hearing on the matter and summons that person to court. If you have to file in civil court (tort claim) it will probably cost you $25.00 to $40.00 dollars (with sheriff costs, etc.)That should get this guy moving!

Good Luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate you guys trying to help me. I got an e-mail from Mr. Hansen saying John Who??? Like he didn't know who it was. Today when I called him, he finally answered. He sounded like he was upset at me for "harassing" him about my items saying that he would get to it when he could. I told him I didn't feel like I was harassing him when I called to check up on my items because he would "never have a chance to get to them." I told him that I felt like it wouldn't have been too hard for him to at least give me a call back sometime... he coudln't even find time to call me once?... or reply to an e-mail? I then told him that most businesses I deal with are either up front with me on how long it's going to take and actually do call me back if I leave a message or return my e-mails. It wasn't just one message I sent him either... I must have left at least a message a day for about two weeks. He then told me that he's out of town a lot and is sorry that his customer service doesn't meet my high expectations and is too busy to be calling me back all the time. The only time he did call me back was after the local sheriff went to his place on my behalf... this was a couple weeks ago and told him to call me. Mr. Hansen today then proceeded to tell me that he was on his way out to send it.... two weeks after he said he would send it. He told me that after the police knocked on his door that I went to the bottom of his priority list and would never do business with me again because I'm too much of a hassle to be worth his time. I don't know of many sucessful business's that treat their customers... even the most demanding ones, like they are a hassle to them. This whole ordeal has been a huge "hassle" for me. I feel like a customer shouldn't have to go out of their way to get their items back when the serivces that were agreed on weren't performed. If I really wanted to a "hassle", I would ask for a refund of my shipping and a reimbursment of my phone bill for having to call him so many times. I guess this whole thing goes to show that it's getting harder and harder to find a good gunsmith. I probalby should have checked for refferences or asked some of you guys. Well, I definitely learned my lesson this time. I'm going to give it till the end of next week and see what happends. Thanks alot for all your reponses though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
JohnUF78:

If anything "The customers always right". It sounds like this guy is trying to put the screws to you. I think you waited long enough! I would suggest that you send him a registered letter (return receipt) detailing your complaint and asking to have your property returned immediately. Also note in the letter if the property is not returned immediately you will pursue legal action! You want to write a "calm" letter, you may have to use it in court. This will back up any criminal or civil complaints, should you need to file one. I know it's a hassle but the longer you wait the harder it's going to be to get your property back. I believe this guy thinks he's got you by the shorthairs! I wonder if this guys got an FFL? You can always inquire with the BATF.

Good Luck!

I think we need to move this to "general discussion" before we outstay our welcome!

[This message has been edited by SA45AUTO (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it's now Thursday and still no tracking number. Last time I talked to him on Tues, he said the items were going out that afternoon and he would e-mail me a tracking number that night. I feel like I've been very patient with this gunsmith. Not only was he rude when I called him this Tues, but he has so far failed to produce anything he's promised me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
JOHN, In the future give EGW a try, great work,fair prices,no b.s. and honest as the day is long........

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Good advice above. I recommend sending this guy the registered letter, with return receipt, immediately. At this point in time, if you have not paid anything yet, I would demand the return of my ORIGINAL parts and guns that were sent in. Tell this guy you want them sent UPS, FedEx, or whatever tickles your fancy. Give him a non-negotiable time period. Then, if he still hasn't responded, take him to small claims court. I would probably request the replacement cost of the parts and guns concerned, plus court costs and fees.

You have dealt with this guy long enough. If I may make a recommendation, however: If you want to talk to a gunsmith that does superior work, and is reliable, contact Welcher's Guns in Tacoma, Washington. I have been doing business with this guy nonstop since 1979. When I was doing light-grade pistolsmithing, I would do all the polishing on my bluing jobs, and send the parts to them for the hot tanking. Great service and prices.

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are two sides to every story. We've only heard one here. We don't know if there were any promises as to how long the work would take were made. A week, a month, a year. We don't know. One thing I do know though, quality work takes time. If you constantly pester the guy, he is not going to appreciate you wasting his time. If you mailed it on Sept. 8th and he stopped taking your calls by the beginning of October, that just tells me you were calling him entirely too many times. If you were going to be that anxious about getting the work done so quickly, you should have went to a local smith.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do know that quality work takes time. I have an 1911 on order that's a year off from Rock River Arms. They also have my Colt that I sent in last spring and I won't be getting it back for another couple of weeks. I don't mind waiting if I know I'm getting a quality product. The difference is that Gay at Rock River was very up front with me with the lenght of time and always very friendly whenever I call and have a question. John was very friendly until he got my guns. He orignally said it would only be a week or so... then told me two weeks. Before he stopped answering his phone, he had a different excuse every time on why he didn't get to it. Not only that, but it seemed like he was more interested in selling me a gun and his spring and compensator kits than doing the work he orginally agreed to do. Not only this, but I have gotten a couple of e-mails from people that have seen him at various gunshows and have given me very negative feedback about him. I do come from a family with a manufacturing company background. I grew up learning that the customer is always right and never to make promises you can't keep. Do business otherwise and soon you won't have any customers "hassling" you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I got my guns back finally today. I am very very disappointed however. I am one of those types that keeps their guns in pristine condition because I also collect. My Colt Target model came back with big scratches and scrapes on the black bomar rib. At least that can kinda touched up. There was also some sand on the pistol and the trigger it's self had some scratches and the plastic trigger guard had some scratches. The worse though was the barrel of my 92 Elite II. On the outside muzzle there are a couple of nicks. I am so pissed off at this guy right now, but it's probalby not even worth arguing with it because he's probably going to claim he can't control what happens during shipping. He could have at least put them in the box correctly instead it just looked like he threw everything in my plastic box and closed the lid. Not only has Mr. Hansen been rude, but he has also shown a total lack or consideration for another person's property. Too bad there's nothing I can really do about it now. The only semi bright side is that I was going to probably sell both these guns anyways, but now it's more of a definite. Thanks a lot for the e-mails and help from all you guys though.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,428 Posts
Hansen should never have let it drag on. At the point he decided you were "too much trouble", whenever that was, he should have returned your (carefully packed) items with a letter of explanation. If you sent the package on September 8, he might not have received it until the 17th, and you were already calling the cops on him by October 11th? Unless there was a promised turn-around time, I think I would have waited at LEAST two weeks from the estimated delivery date, before calling, and then only to confirm (and remind . . .) that the package had been delivered. Clearly, ignoring you and mis-handling your parts is not tolerable, but if you were calling and emailing him every day, almost from the day he received your parts, and he wasn't happy about it, he should have just amicably declined to do the work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, looking at my UPS shipping records it was shipped out Sept 7th and he received it Sept. 12th. He orginally said no more then a week... then I called a week later and he said another week..... then I called a week later and he basically disappeared. He website stopped coming up and then I got worried and left a message every day or two asking for him to call me and to let me know the status. I feel that in two weeks time, one call back is not too much to ask for. Even if it is, there is still no excuse to throw out any consideration for a customers belongings because you're mad at him. Most people I know or have dealt with in the gun business are not like this. It's too bad there are a few rotten ones like this though.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
How about making his e-mail address public on this forum? Then we can all e-mail him and let him know that we are aware of his poor customer service and let HIM know that WE will not use HIS service NOW or EVER. There's got to be what, several thousand people on this forum, right? That should either make him shape up, or put him out of business.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

[This message has been edited by Kimber45 (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Isn't it great how we're so willing to condemn someone we don't know, on the word of someone we don't know, because of something we read on the internet? It just warms my heart.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is true... it is my word and my word only. I also don't feel right about giving out a guys e-mail address so people can send him e-mail telling him how bad his services are. The reason I started this thread was to make people aware of what happend with me and this particular gunsmith and to let the next buyer beware. I'm sure those people that have probably been happy with his service, but I for one was not. I rarely ever bad mouth anybody and this thread was not meant to bad mouth, it was just meant to be a heads up for people to be a little more careful before hiring him. I do apprciate the helpful e-mails from some of you though. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Scamed

It is true... it is my word and my word only. I also don't feel right about giving out a guys e-mail address so people can send him e-mail telling him how bad his services are. The reason I started this thread was to make people aware of what happend with me and this particular gunsmith and to let the next buyer beware. I'm sure those people that have probably been happy with his service, but I for one was not. I rarely ever bad mouth anybody and this thread was not meant to bad mouth, it was just meant to be a heads up for people to be a little more careful before hiring him. I do apprciate the helpful e-mails from some of you though. Thanks again guys.
I completely agree with you. I met mr Hansen at a TN gun show back in 2010. I purchased a Lonewolf barrel for my G23 and he talked me into buying one of his double captive recoil springs. Well, the barrel (which he did not make) worked perfectly, but the springs did not, FTE and stovepiping. I tried to contact mr Hansen and got the same results as you. So apparently he is still running around scam good folks like us. Caveat emptor. I will never buy nor recommend him to anyone. Guys like him are a disgrace to our cause. We should get the word out on him and stop him from cheating others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why is it such a bad thing to bring up old threads?

Most forums would prefer you research and if you find something fitting continue the discussion.

Does it affect the forum some way?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.