1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do people actually use the front cocking serrations to operated the slide?

Do people actually use/trust their "loaded chamber indicator" also?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes and no.

Yes, I use the front serrations to operate the slide.

No, every gun is loaded. What do I need a loaded chamber indicator for?

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
While several of my pistols have front serrations, the only thing they're good for is shredding the inside of my nice holsters. My loaded chamber indicator is between my ears. Keep the mechanical versions in California if they need them there.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,525 Posts
I don't have front cocking serratins, but pretend I do. When I unload-and-show-clear, the RO/SO gets the best view of the chamber if I grab the front of the slide from underneath. I can get enough traction, even on the smooth slide, to eject a round and hold the slide open - on my .45s. No can do on my Delta, with its 20# spring. Loading, I do a standard sling-shot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't use either options nor want neither options on any of my pistols.

When I ordered my Caspian slide options, expressedly said, "Hell no!" on the front serration.

The only pistol I own that has a loaded chamber indicator is my HK Tactical. And I blacked it out. It's just red paint on the extractor. I laugh when I hear my co-worker try and sell a S&W99 by saying, "You always know what condition this gun is in by having that loaded chamber indicator...." :biglaugh:

When I have my pistol flat with my body and I slide the the slide back holding the slide by near the front, I find that I don't need that front serration for grip. And my caspian is super tight with a 19# spring.

What's next....a folding paratrooper-style charging handle mounted on the slide?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Front grasping grooves aren't necessary.

"Loaded chamber indicators" come in several forms, none of them necessary or even really helpful, IMNSHO. I'll just "press check" to be sure that a round is in the chamber.
(The reason for checking isn't only to verify that the gun is unloaded and therefore "safe", as the above poster implied by referring to Rule One, but more importantly to insure that the chamber is actually loaded, and therefore ready for action!)

Gotta admit, I still frequently use the old fashioned method of hooking my index finger in the front of the triggerguard and pushing back on the recoil spring plug with my thumb. I only do this with my own guns, which I know are operational, with all safety features working, NONE of which have extended guide rods.
The modernists will all wag their fingers and say that this musn't be done this way, I know, but I'm old fashioned. I go out in the rain without my boots, too, and sometimes I even fish the toast out of the toaster with a fork!

Best.

·
Registered
170 Posts
"No" to the use of front serrations. Only one of my 1911's has them, and I can't find a use for them (mebe they are just meant to be "purdy")

and, "No" to the loaded chamber indicator. Even if I did want to use it, I would have to put on my reading glasses -

..bottom line is what AZ Husker said.

·
Registered
228 Posts
No and no.

Listen to AZ.

Stupid to put either hand that close to the muzzle, especially when the rear serration method does just as well. Not big on the press-check ('thumb in the trigger guard, index finger on the recoil plug' method) either; same reason-- I've grown used to having all my fingers, and there's no reason to press-check a loaded gun with a finger that close to the muzzle.

I'd never trust a stranger's sear and hammer mating to do that, and I won't do it with mine either.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I even fish the toast out of the toaster with a fork
Now that's living on the edge Sawbones...I would never do that! Some blissninny is gonna see your post and require child safety locks on all toasters next :eek: :D

On the serrations, I have them on my Colt XS but do not use them...dont like my hand that close to the muzzle. However, I do prefer them on a gun for the aesthetics (um, that means so it looks pretty)

I do not have any loaded chamber indicators - dont really see the point since mine are all loaded anyway (except when making grips).

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Not likely, I've even passed on buying a pistol because it had them. Perhaps if they were not serratons but knurlling like on the early two link Colts, I'd consider them.

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
If the pistol has them, I use them. If the pistol doesn't have them, I check the chamber the exact same way, grasping the front of the slide as if the pistol had them.

So the answer is, yes, I use them when available.

Do I prefer them? I'm a bit indifferent. They neither turn me on or off. Though I do prefer the finer serrations rather than the wider ones.

Who cares though???

·
Registered
893 Posts
Anyone with a decent holster cares, LW :)

Seriously however, I do not appreciate front cocking serrations. I much prefer the setup on my Springfield Professional.

One of these days I plan to mill off the ones on my stainless SA TRP (which is relegated to kydex, as it tends to tear up my good holsters like a shark on a tuna).

<grouchy old man voice> ...and besides if they were MEANT to have em then that Browning fella WOULD HAVE PUT THEM THERE !!
</grouchy old man voice>

·
Registered
378 Posts
I tried using the front serrations once... why? Just cause they were there. It was my misfortune to have my one and only attempt at using front serrations come when the muzzle of the gun was very hot from shooting nearly 500 rounds in under 2 hours. OUCH! I hate the way they look too.

Don't own a gun with a loaded chamber indicator, never missed it. Shot a Sprinfield and Walther P99 with them quite extensively and never used it. If I want to check the chamber I use a press check, would never trust an indicator as much as actually seeing the round. The one on the Springfield is very hard to see and all it tells you is the rim of the case is there, they case may or may not be loaded. (The gun had extraction issues)

·
Registered
462 Posts
moredes said:
Stupid to put either hand that close to the muzzle, especially when the rear serration method does just as well. Not big on the press-check ('thumb in the trigger guard, index finger on the recoil plug' method) either; same reason-- I've grown used to having all my fingers, and there's no reason to press-check a loaded gun with a finger that close to the muzzle.
I'm a little confused...

When you use the front grasping grooves, shouldn't your finger be out of the trigger guard (until you're ready to shoot)? Why would anyone be worried about a ND?

Evidently, some people do use the grasping grooves...I don't think they're stupid for using them.

Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
I almost can't believe I'm responding to 'yet another' FGS thread.
First, let's define both 'press-check' and 'pinch-check'.
Pinch check is when you slip your thumb into the triggerguard
and place your index finger just below the muzzle and bring
them together. A pinch. Damn dangerous in my opinion.
A press check is when you use your thumb and index finger
from UNDERNEATH the slide, pressed together, to withdraw the
slide. NOTHING valuable is near the muzzle and NOTHING is in
the triggerguard.
I use a press-check very often.
It's easy to just pivot your weak hand wrist and open the
chamber a 1/4" or so to verify the condition of your chamber,
either visually or by feel. In the dark, you must affirm by
touch alone. It is a helluva lot more difficult to do safely using the
rear serrations.
Well done front serrations offer a non-slip grip and NONE of this
leather-shaving crap I hear so much about!

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
pistolwrench said:
Well done front serrations offer a non-slip grip and NONE of this leather-shaving crap I hear so much about!
Amen.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Hey Chuck...I've got a Wilson Classic that'll produce a pile of leather sawdust with each draw. Maybe I should send it up for your magic touch!

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Archer said:
Anyone with a decent holster cares, LW :)
Archer, I'm with you regarding the SA Professional.

But even on the ol' Baer with the cocking serrations, its never been a problem "shaving" leather...and I do have better than average leather. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes, Press check chamber.

No, Every gun is loaded until I check it and clear it. Someone hands me a weapon, 1st thing I do is check chamber. I always hand weapons to other people butt/grips first with action locked open.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I have pistols with Front Cocking Serations. I have used them, but don't like the look of them. So far none of mine have "eaten" any of my holsters, but I'm sure some are sharp enough to do so. I guess I'm Old School in that I do use the Pinch Check when possible. I may be wrong on this, but if the pistol would slip while doing a pinch check in a safe dirrection wouldn't the force of the slide closing lead the pistol's muzzle to travel beyond your finger? I may be wrong as said, but I wonder if someone wasn't trying to make a name for themseleves when they talked of shooting your finger off in print. As to loaded chamber indicators I don't like them either as I believe it makes the pistol louder as it did on the Star PD. I wouldn't trust a small hole to tell me if a 1911 is loaded.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.