1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thumbing through a Browning catalog recently and the only handguns I found were .22s. Has Browning left the centerfire market?

·
Registered
75 Posts
No, Browning, which is owned by FN still imports the P-35 Hi Power in 9mm. The only handgun they "make" is the Buckmark. Browning/FN still makes the Hi Power, but the quantities are getting smaller and smaller. The eventual end is in sight, unless the market changes. The ban on hi cap mags really hurt guns like the Hi Power.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Browning has recently imported HP 9mm's in MKIII, Practical, and Silver Chrome models. There are some coming in, but quantities are very low. They havent imported .40's in a while.

FN is supposed to import a more "military" HP soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From the horses mouth:

They are phasing out the HP. Browning will continue to produce and import the Browning Hi-Power in limited numbers for about two more years (end of 2003). After that they will CEASE production PERMANENTLY. Parts for the HP will continue for approximately 8-10 years after that. Last year <gulp> Browning destroyed ("dumpstered" was the word used) approximately 500 NIB Hi-Powers sitting on their shelves. Hard to believe but it's true. There will of course still be HP clones available and FN will continue to produce it under the "FN" name. But if you want one with the name "Browning" on it you need to get one ASAP. If you already have one you'd best hang on to it and begin stocking up on the various high-wear parts.

Regards,

Warm Bore

------------------
"Molon Labe, and you can have the bullets first!!!"

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
WARMBORE, thanks for the clarification. I kept hearing this then that, then noticed a few trickling in.

I have a 40 guess its a keeper, also need to get a 9 now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts