1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The topic says it all. What are they? Tight match or a looser spec? I'm hoping they don't impede reliability at all.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
This may or may not be related but I work retail and I work a lot of gun shows where there are quite a few ammo wholesalers.

Before the start of the show on Sunday several of us (dealers) were talking about the generic ammos (Winchester white box, Remington UMC, PMC Target, Federal Eagle and the rest of the "cheap" stuff) on quality and what was selling. There were several comments on the lowering of quality control on the "cheap" ammo. We compared taper crimp on the name brands and found some had very little or no taper crimp or varing with a box of 50. Varing taper crimp was common between brands but only one box out of about 8 checked had a differing taper crimp in the brand box.

Taper crimp or lack there of will affect reliability if the ammo you use is the "cheap" stuff.

Side note: Naturally folks were brand conscious on buying the Winchester but 25 cents less sold a box 10 times faster.

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had any problems with the chamber and cheap practice ammo.

I was just wondering.

Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have found that my Wilson CQB eats anything (2600 rnds in 2 months)while my Kimber Gold Match won't. This leads me to believe the Wilson's have a looser spec but that it increases reliability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts