1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone say well its been 1 year so lets clean and mags and replace the springs or do you wait for a problem and then handle it? My reason for asking is replacement springs don't always look and feel like the ones in the mag. They are maybe an inch or so longer. The follower is not always beat up, it looks ok, maybe a couple of digs out it near the front. So, how much attention do you guys give magazines?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Good mag. springs are critical for reliable functioning of a 1911. I change mine every 5000 rds. or once a year, which ever comes first (usually 5000 rds
).

Springs will take a "set" if left compressed for long periods of time. If you have a mag or two that you keep fully loaded for extended periods, changing once a year is minimum.

Using extra-power springs (from Wolff) can add some feed reliability to a 1911 as well.

IMHO, mag springs are just as important as recoil and firing pin springs, and deserve a proper maintenance schedule along with the other springs in your pistol.

PS - FBI who carry 1911 have been instructed to change their mag springs every 6 months.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I like to wipe things out real well on a regular basis, once a month or so. I practice using several mags, so I have no idea how many rounds go through each. What I can tell you is that you really should wear safety goggles when removing or installing a spring. One slip and those things will shoot/spring a long way and it would be best that your eyes did not attempt to stop their forward motion. And yes, I have had one get away from me, but it was pointed away at the time, flying well out of my garage and down my driveway.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the response. I cleaned my magazines for the first time in maybe 2 years. They were really dirty and cleaned up just great. A problem went away with clean mags so I will be more careful in the future and clean about every 5,000 rounds. Hard to monitor when 5,000 rounds go by but cleaning once each year should help.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,344 Posts
I carry a mag brush in my range bag, and run it through any mag that's been on the ground, right then and there. I'm not so concerned with a little dirt causing a malfunction, as I am with the possibility of that piece of dirt being carried into the bore and run down my $180 barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts