1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 leather belts made by quality makers that are seen frequently on this forum. My problem is that they where all measured and ordered the same size, but are all different lengths, and one is slightly wider than ordered. The length can be dealt with, one hole either way, even though it is frustrating. But I have a new Heinie DOJ holster, and there is no way I can get the generous 1 1/2 inch belt through the holster loops. Is this something ya just live with, or is there a better method when ordering.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I would recommend mating a holster to a belt--that is to say use the same maker. There is variance in size from company to company in most prducts, from tires, to clothes, to shoes, to belts. Buying from the same maker, or mating each holster and belt, also takes the guesswork and variables out of accountability.

That being said, the leather makers and/or representatives I have done business with and/or conversed with (Milt Sparks, Tucker, and Alessi) have all come across as gentlemen with sound business principles. Therefore, I would waste any more time typing here on the forum, I would instead type an e-mail, and include pictures. The pictures will help the person at the other end "see" your concern as opposed to tryin to imagine it.

Let me know if I can be of assistance in anyway!

Damian

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've been buying Rafter and Milt Sparks belts and lucky for me, both fit in the VM-2 with the Rafter being a bit on the thicker side.

The measurement lengths of the belts from these two mfg's also differ. I have a 34 inch waist and order a 37 inch from Sparks and a 38 inch from Rafters for the IWB.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Decoria, If you would like to send that Heinie DOJ back to me with a measurement of the exact width, and thickness of the belt you are trying to use, I'll re-fit the belt loop, and slot to accommodate that size belt for you.
No charge, of course..
You can E-mail me at [email protected] and let me know..
Thanks,
Lou

decoria said:
I have 3 leather belts made by quality makers that are seen frequently on this forum. My problem is that they where all measured and ordered the same size, but are all different lengths, and one is slightly wider than ordered. The length can be dealt with, one hole either way, even though it is frustrating. But I have a new Heinie DOJ holster, and there is no way I can get the generous 1 1/2 inch belt through the holster loops. Is this something ya just live with, or is there a better method when ordering.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Do you have problems getting the correct belt size?

Louis F. Alessi said:
Decoria, If you would like to send that Heinie DOJ back to me with a measurement of the exact width, and thickness of the belt you are trying to use, I'll re-fit the belt loop, and slot to accommodate that size belt for you.
No charge, of course..

Thanks,
Lou
Thanks Lou, but that won't be necessary. I was hoping my post wasn't coming off as complaining, I was just trying to gather some insight on how to maybe avoid this problem in the future. I am more than happy with the quality of all the leather that I am refering to, but some do vary in dimensions.

Buying from the same maker, or mating each holster and belt, also takes the guesswork and variables out of accountability.
I agree completely, but then I only have 2 choices. First option would be to buy nothing but sets of leather, belt, holster, and mag pouch for every handgun. I don't think that is the best of options because of the expense of a dozen or so extra belts that I really don't need. The other option is to stick with one maker, and since my first quality leather was Milt Sparks, then I can buy nothing but Milt Sparks leather. Don't get me wrong, I love my holsters and belt from Milt Sparks, but I would like to mix them in with some Alessi, Rosen, and other quality leathers makers.

So again, thanks for the offer Lou, but I am very happy with the DOJ just the way it is. I was just trying to get a little input on what I should look for or maybe ask about the next time I place an order for some leather.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Decoria, No problem, I didn't think for a moment that you were complaining in your post. I just wanted to make that offer to you so you could utilize all your belts with the holster.

Regarding your original question about belt sizing. Some makers use the measurement from the center hole to the inside edge of the buckle, where the tounge comes to rest.
I measure from the center hole to the end of the belt where it folds to hold the buckle. This allows about 3/4" to 1" length in the belt to automatically accommodate IWB holsters, and will also not be too large when using an OWB holster. We also space our holes at 3/4" rather than 1". I feel that it allows for better 'fine tuning' of the belt.
This could be the reason why none of your belts are the same length.
Lou

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've had similar problems when ordering belts. Shoes and clothes are the same way. See my signature line below...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Decoria,
Getting the same belt length among the various makers can be tricky as you have already found out.

It depends allot on how you measure and how the maker tranlates your measurements to the work in progress. Also, some of us pre-curve our belts and some don't

When you take a measurement off an old belt, you will notice that the old belt has taken a curve in a couple of places. If you take a tape measure and follow around those curves you will end up with a slightly different measurement than if you measure straight across. If you try and stretch the old belt straight and take a measurement, you will probably end up with a measurement that differs further from the above two.

Now, the maker doesn't really know how you measured, but just assumes that you measured in the same way that he does and according to whatever instructions he provides.

When I explain to customers on how we like to take a measurement off a belt, I generally advise to lay the belt out on a flat surface and not stretch or distort. I then take a measurement directly from where the leather folds to hold the buckle, straight across, bypassing the curve, to the hole that is currently being used. A measurement taken in that fashion, will allow us to duplicate the exact measurement on our belt measuring template.

Overall belt thickness and stiffness play a small role in how a belt may appear to vary in length from another that differs in that aspect. As an example, if you took a holster pattern with pre-determined stitch lines, and cut two holsters with one being considerably heavier leather than the other. You would find that after assembling the two holsters that the heavier leather would fit somewhat tighter around the gun than the one made of lighter leather. Even though both were sewn with identically spaced stitch lines.

If I made two belts with one being a quarter inch thickness and the other being three eighths. The quarter inch thick belt would seem to be a tad longer than the other even though both were marked and measured the same.

The same if you made two identical belts with one of soft leather and the other stiff. The stiff leather belt would appear to be slightly shorter than the soft leather belt, because the stiff leather would be less susceptable to stretch.

Besides all that, even though we try, no two makers ever do anything exactly the same anyway. :biglaugh:

On holster fit. We make our holsters to fit snug on a belt of our manufacture. Unfortunately though, we cannot guarantee a perfect mate to a belt of another maker unless we are made aware of that products idiosyncrysies.

You would have to have arms like popeye to string a Rosen belt through one of our belt slide holsters because of the thickness overkill factor. But if you told us you would be using a Rosen belt when placing your order, we could fit the holster slots accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts