1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you like your Para-Ordnance?

If you do - Why?

If you don't - Why?

Thank you for your input - this will help.

TheListoner

·
Registered
364 Posts
That's quite a question....I was reading your profile, and since he was curious, Newton had to ask...What do you sell?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Like 'em a lot.

I currently own 2. Both P13-45 Ltd.'s - one S/S, the other black carbon.

Over 5,000 rds. thru each. Total of 4 FTF/FTE on each gun AFTER break in.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you that double stack magazines are problematic. This simply isn't true any more. Keep a good mag spring in them, and clean them once in a while, and you should be fine.

I like the fact that Para's plunger tube is part of the frame, and not staked in as others are.

I believe that the LTD. series is good bang for the buck. LTD. series includes most of the options that were once the territory of the 'smith (adjustable Bo-mar style sights, beavertail grip safety, tuned trigger, match grade barrel, Commander style hammer, etc...)

I also like them because Para is the last of the manufacturers that still calls Canada home.

Mine are accurate (2" 5-shot groups from rest at 25 yds.).

My only complaint is the quality of finish on both. The S/S gun has too many tool marks on the frame and slide, which I spent a good deal of time polishing to remove. The black carbon finish wears VERY quickly when subject to holster use - somewhat quicker than other "blued" finishes I have had on other guns.

Let us know what you end up getting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would have to say that I am quite a Para fan.

My P12 and P13 have been paragons of reliability aside of 6 failures to go fully into battery with the light SWC Federal load. This after about 300 rounds through each pistol.

My P16 has been converted to 10mm and has not malfed at all in either .40S&W or 10mm, but I do not have the volume of rounds through the 16 as the 12/13.

I have converted my P12 to 400 CB and once the tight link was loosened on that Bar-Sto barrel, the pistol in 400CB has been just as reliable as it had been in .45acp. I had a handful of failure to go into full battery in the first 300-500 rounds of 400 CB.

All 3 of the listed Paras have been as accurate a pistol as I could ever want to own. My 16 but a free hand 5 shot cluster tighter then I have ever fired at 60 feet. I could have covered cluster with a silver dollar.

Now I did have a P10 that I couldn't get to feed worht a [email protected] due to me limp wristing that miniscule 1911. My girl friend at the time had no problems, but I had no faith in the pistol. I eventually traded it for a NIB Remington Classic in .375 H&H. I love that rifle.

The only negative comments I can really say about Paras is that their blue finish on the frames is quite TERRIBLE. My P12/13 grow gun gun on humid days (hence they are not summer guns)! That's why I went with duo-tone on the P16. The magazines are as fine as any other magazine available. I replace all my mag springs with Wolff +10%s.

Derek

·
Registered
645 Posts
I love my Paras because they are cheap, accurate, reliable and hold an awful damn lot of bullets. Mags are readily available at reasonable prices, especially with the new gun coupon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm no Todd Jarret but making B limited has been easy with a para P16-40.I'm totally pleased with this firearm and would buy another and recommend it.Now,will I ever make A?

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I've built several custom guns using the Para as a base gun and I and my customers are very pleased with the end results. I built several race guns using the P-16 Limited series as a base gun and if you want to see one in action view the video of me shooting the All-Sport Forty. Watch the gun and you will see there is very little muzzle flip.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes sir, Rufus! That is my question, too.

Will I ever live long enough to make A class?

Quit smoking, drinking, whoring, breathing, eating, watching TV, reading gun magazines, chasing ugly women, sex, bourbon, beer, doughnuts, tacos, ribs, pork ribs, spare ribs, beef ribs, chicken wings, brutal manual labor, clmbing trees up with a chaisaw, speeding, chasing uglier women, mouthing off to cops, ju-jubes, scotch, vodka, gin, ginseng, mega-doses, cigars, cigarettes, tatoos, toxic waste, etc.

Maybe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In reading your "Para Fan" post, I could not help but notice your reference to converting your p16 to 10mm. I am intrigued, as I have not heard of anyone making this converstion. I am a recent P16 owner, and if you could take the time, I would like to Know what parts and Mods it takes to convert a P16 to fire 10mm.
Did a gunsmith do it, or did you d it yourself?

What parts and mods are neccesary?
How much did it cost?

Thank you for any info you can take the time to provide.

Jaketec

Originally posted by viesczy:
I would have to say that I am quite a Para fan.

My P12 and P13 have been paragons of reliability aside of 6 failures to go fully into battery with the light SWC Federal load. This after about 300 rounds through each pistol.

My P16 has been converted to 10mm and has not malfed at all in either .40S&W or 10mm, but I do not have the volume of rounds through the 16 as the 12/13.

I have converted my P12 to 400 CB and once the tight link was loosened on that Bar-Sto barrel, the pistol in 400CB has been just as reliable as it had been in .45acp. I had a handful of failure to go into full battery in the first 300-500 rounds of 400 CB.

All 3 of the listed Paras have been as accurate a pistol as I could ever want to own. My 16 but a free hand 5 shot cluster tighter then I have ever fired at 60 feet. I could have covered cluster with a silver dollar.

Now I did have a P10 that I couldn't get to feed worht a [email protected] due to me limp wristing that miniscule 1911. My girl friend at the time had no problems, but I had no faith in the pistol. I eventually traded it for a NIB Remington Classic in .375 H&H. I love that rifle.

The only negative comments I can really say about Paras is that their blue finish on the frames is quite TERRIBLE. My P12/13 grow gun gun on humid days (hence they are not summer guns)! That's why I went with duo-tone on the P16. The magazines are as fine as any other magazine available. I replace all my mag springs with Wolff +10%s.

Derek

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Jaketec,

Here's what I did to make my P16.40 a P16.10.

I ordered the "drop-in" barrel from Ed Brown (www.edbrown.com), and when that arrived and it wasn't a "drop-in" I sent the pistol to Ed Brown to be fitted ($75+s/h).

I have 22, 24 and 26lb Wolff recoil springs for the P16. I originally had the 26lber in, but it was battering some of the ammo (pushing the jhps into the case) and I have dropped down to the 24lb spring.

In both calibers the pistol as been flawless for reliability and extremely accurate.

Recoil with either the 26lb or 24lb spring is minimal.

You might want to replace the rat tail safety with a good beavertail if you haven't done so already. When the P16 came back from Ed Brown, I ran about 200-250 rounds of 10mm through it and that rat tail safety did wear a little spot open on the web of my shooting hand.

That is all it has taken. You could just have your 40S&W barrel reamed to 10mm, but I'm a fan of having both barrels. I was considering getting even a .357 Sig barrel from Ed Brown. . . but why have a cart that was designed for a medium framed pistol in a large frame pistol?

Derek

·
Registered
121 Posts
My P12 is more accurate than I can point. I don't remember the last time it failed to function with either handloads or factory ammo. It features a fine combination of capacity, reliability and concealability.

One negative for the P12, specifically, is that they use the same recoil spring cap stamping that's used on the Colt Officer Model. The stamping has some history of failure after some thousands or rounds due to crystalization of the metal. The failure sends the recoil spring down range. I replaced the recoil spring assembly with an Ed Brown kit.

My P12 had an initial trigger pull of nearly 7 pounds, since corrected.

My Para will not feed SWC-style bullets with any semblance of reliability.

Other than that, I'd comment that Para slides and mags are Para-specific, which complicates sight replacement and mag replacement.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a P14 Ltd with around 4,000 rds thru it,it has never malfuntioned and I have fed every shape and weight bullet through it.Very accurate also.I had the trigger replaced with a Guncraft light weight one and had the front site narrowed.I like it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Although I no longer own a Para I like them for a couple of reasons. I like Para-Ordnance because they are wiling to try new things. Double stack mags, LDA trigger. I think that PO is right up their with Kimber and Springfield as far as quality and value. I am also a fan of the LDA.
Just wish that they would come out with a Officers size gun. I want a 4" or 4.25" barrel not 3.5". Call me picky.

------------------
"Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Ford,

I'm pretty sure the P13 series has a 4.25" barrel length.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Fred:
Ford,

I'm pretty sure the P13 series has a 4.25" barrel length.

Fred, you are correct - I have two children who are this long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts