1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are so many people that say never clean your gun right before a match, leave it slightly fouled out, Ive heard people say that a clean gun jams more than a slightly fouled one, ive heard people say that their first shot after cleaning a gun goes wild, then I read some where that Les Bear himself recomends cleaning your gun Every Time your done shooting it. I have never paid attention when my gun jams as to weather it was before or after I had cleaned it last. whats your two cents

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I get home from a match, and I'm too wiped out to clean it.

I go down the night before, or morning of, a match and say "Why clean it? I'm just gonna go make it dirty!!"

Vicious cycle (which is typically broken by jammed gun or profound embarassment).

·
Registered
366 Posts
The first shot after cleaning does NOT go wild. Unless you prefer to practice malfunctions during matches and consequently finish less than your potential, I would recommend you clean your gun before matches. If you carry a dirty gun on the streets, then perhaps you should practice clearing malfunctions. You do, of course, clean your magazines before matches, too?
GUNS SHOULD NOT MALFUNCTION!! Today I sent a 3 year old magazine back to Wilson for replacement. I had 3 failures to feed today, all with the same magazine. Those were the ONLY malfunctions I have had in the last 6,000 rounds.
Glocks seem to be more tolerant to lack of cleaning. At least that is what fellow competitors claim, "haven't cleaned it in 3 months, about 2,000 rounds."

·
Registered
719 Posts
I noticed a trend in my IPSC limited gun. When I cleaned it right before a match I'd have no malfunctions. If it was even a little dirty I'd have a jam or two. Seemed pretty simple to me, I now clean and lube any gun I'm using the night before each match.

·
Registered
610 Posts
To repeat what I overheard in a conversation once, "I clean my guns when I get dirty thooting them." hehehehe
Actually, I clean my pistols about once a week. IF I cleaned them after every range visit, I would never have time to eat in the evenings. The only pistols that I am religous about cleaning after a range visit, are the two pistols I have set aside for CCW.

Steve

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I clean my guns as soon as I get in the door. I remove the slide and barrel and clean it good. About 2 weeks before a major match I'll detail strip the gun and look for any unusual wearand clean and lube each part. When I reassemble the gun I check the extractor tension and trigger pull. Before the match I'll run a couple hundred rounds thru to make sure it functions properly.At thet point its ready to go.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Before a major match I will clean my gun. Then I'll go out and fire about 30-50 rounds through it to make sure I put it back together right and it still works alright.

------------------
Neil
"I AM my brothers keeper"

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ususally clean my guns after about 300-400 rounds. Not neccessary, BUT, the guns always work at the matches. I usually run one mag of cartridges thru the gun after cleaning. I shoot at least two matches(USPSA) per month plus pratice so I usually wind up cleaning the guns every other match. Usually shoot Open, Limited, and Limited 10 at each match. More fun shooting three guns per match than only one.
Also, usually add a drop of oil to the slide rails and a "touch of grease" to the end of the barrel right before the match. They always function.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I clean my gun every 400 to 500 rounds, and I always clean it right before a match and shoot a magazine full through it.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
164 Posts
I clean my's 45s when they are dirty/comtaminated, or after ~500 rounds, which ever comes first. I always go to a match with a freshly cleaned gun.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Clean pistols when they are dirty/400-600 rounds/why?? Unless you are into shooting wheel weight bullets with Unique/Bullseye that seems a little anal-retentive.

A number of years a shooting partner and I wanted to see how lack of cleaning really affected 1911s; test pistol Para P14. After 20K+ rounds our Paras needed cleaned; magazine did not have enough room to allow cartridge to go up the feed ramp. Morale of the story; cleaning is an option for a properly made firearm.

If you run a "high-quality" fit tighter than two nuns buns pistol that house dust fouls, you have a problem. Quality components, and proper reloading over come a vast number of "dirty pistol" problems.

This anal-retentive need to clean magazines between stages, clean pistols the night before a match; IMHO is used as a crutch and an excuse base. This cleaning obsession is that, an obsession, a properly fitted 1911 will run in theworst of conditions. For ten years I have shot a carry 1911 ss in 45 ACP(of a couple makes); cleaning it every couple thousand rounds and then only a field cleaning, keeping it lubricated and changing springs every 2-3K rounds--1911 always goes bang, hits what it is aimed at. I stake my life on it daily in that condition; and for 20+ yrs of duty it has never failed.

Shooting quality ammunition or reloads does not get your firearms dirty. Its the crap many shooters run through their pistols with excuses like: well XYZ brand of powder uses heavies loads, I've always loaded ABC brand event though each round is an EPA toxic waste sight, can't change powder or bullet I'd have to work up a new load, etc. etc. Use quality fully jacketed or frangible bullets, clean powders like Power Pistol, Western's line, Titegroup, Vectan A1; shoot the caliber the pistol was designed around; not the latest 9X??? or 10mm length 40 short and weaks, it won't get dirty or crusty.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
A friend of mine claims that the first magazine or two always shoot high in one of his Colts. From what I am reading here, does that mean that the high shots are NOT due to cleaning? His theory was that fouling made the gun shoot better. Of course, the first mag or two being shot after the gun was cleaned were also the first magazines he shot that day.

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
I shot bullseye and high power for a number of years and the first few rounds through a 1911 (never put anything else in a Ransom Rest) or an AR-15 will sometimes shoot to a different place with a clean barrel than a dirty barrel. It has a lot to do with the barrel maker, newness of the barrel, and the type of ammo being shot. Long Range rifle being affected more so than a pistol.

I don’t think there is a problem with jamming with a clean gun vs a dirty gun. The reason I think people dirty a clean gun is probably just to make sure you put it back together. I know I do that.

I tend to clean my competition pistols about every 500-1000 rounds. After a complete detail strip, I run 20-40 rounds through it just to make sure I did not do anything stupid while putting it back together. I detail strip whenever I clean so I can check for parts that are wearing strange, cracking or just plain broken.

The different point of impact deal is very real in rifle. Just ask any high power shooter if it takes a few rounds for the POI to settle down when switching from ball powder (W748) at 300 to a stick powder (N540/Varget) at 600. I took the easy way out there and just shoot stick powder and Sierra 80's across the course. After a 80 round HP match, I clean the barrel within an inch of its life, then fire 10 rounds to dirty it again as a clean barrel throws Sierra 80’s different than a dirty barrel.

I doubt Doug Koenig cleaned his Bianchi gun the night before the match then didn’t test fire it. My money says it was a little dirty. George?

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I field strip every 150 - 200 rds. (basically after every range session). I detail strip every 1000 rds. If that schedule happens to fall right before a match, so be it. I don't make it a habit to necessarily clean before a match.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,391 Posts
I strip/clean my IDPA gun after every match, as it is also my carry gun and I want to make sure nothing broke or wore excessively while shooting in competition. I clean my IPSC gun whenever I have it apart for some other reason! After each match, I lock the slide back, wipe out the ejection port area, brush the breechface and extractor, and wipe off the exposed part of the barrel. Before each match, I apply seven drops of lubricant (slide/frame rails, muzzle top, muzzle bottom, front/top of ejection port). My gun has goes hundreds of malfunction-free rounds using this "regimen".

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I clean them before a match because that gun has probably had close to 1000 rounds through it during the week's practice.

Plus I like a clean gun and try and take care of my expensive toys.

I know how to put these guns back together, so I don't feel the need for test firing. I do make sure there's no lube in the barrel prior to a match.

·
Banned
725 Posts
My firearm was always clean before a match.

------------------
"Gun Control is Only to Protect Those in Power."

·
Registered
625 Posts
I usually clean my Kimber classic stainless before a match. By that point it has digested probably 500-600 rounds. I have on numerous occations put 1,200-1,400 rounds through it before cleaning. I'm using hard cast 230grn LRN E & E's on 5.2grn of Viht N320. I couldn't tell you when the last time I cleaned a magazine was. I can, however, say with complete honesty that I have never had a malfunction with this pistol that wasn't a direct result of a bad round. To many people's surprise, I don't use oil at all on my gun. I use a good quality grease on the frame rails and inside of the bushing and keep the upper locking lugs clean and dry.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I usually clean my Kimber classic stainless before a match. By that point it has digested probably 500-600 rounds. I have on numerous occations put 1,200-1,400 rounds through it before cleaning. I'm using hard cast 230grn LRN E & E's on 5.2grn of Viht N320. I couldn't tell you when the last time I cleaned a magazine was. I can, however, say with complete honesty that I have never had a malfunction with this pistol that wasn't a direct result of a bad round. To many people's surprise, I don't use oil at all on my gun. I use a good quality grease on the frame rails and inside of the bushing and keep the upper locking lugs clean and dry.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I too keep the lugs clean. Perhaps it was a Colt a number of years ago that became dangerously loose, (slide to barrel fit), that made me think lube may have contributed to making that fit even looser than the original poor factory fit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts