1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
12,622 Posts
Picking up on some other wise comments in this thread (+1911 for everyone's input here, but especially saxman's just above and nikeret just below), I also do not seek out such discussions with total strangers. Avoidance seems preferable, at least for me.

------

But should a discussion occur:

I lean towards communicating my views, so I do (when the subject comes up), but with persons I have no clue how they stand, I attempt to avoid an "in your face" and/or "I don't care what you think" style of communication.

If the person turns out to be left-leaning, I'd rather leave an impression of (me) being reasoned, with rational, well-stated reasons and examples. Such left-leaning persons rarely change their minds, but I'd rather them be left with a realization that a educated, professional, world-traveled person, and Christian if applicable to the discussion, does not agree with their leftist views.

E.g., when some left-leaning person is confronted with how many people, hundreds of thousands, have been systematically murdered by dictators who first took away those persons' firearms, it's difficult for the leftist to say anything other than changing the subject in a different direction (and sadly, that's the typical response...after all, leftists are afflicted with a type of blindness).

If the person is really far to the left, I'm probably not going to be talking with them, at least not for long. I have better things to do than talking with a fool.

Sometimes, I've been surprised...finding a strong 2A supporter when I anticipated otherwise... especially with women, which lets me know I probably have a little unjustified bias in expectations.

·
Registered
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picking up on some other wise comments in this thread (+1911 for everyone's input here, but especially saxman's just above and nikeret just below), I also do not seek out such discussions with total strangers. Avoidance seems preferable, at least for me.

------
Discussions are one thing, making a statement is another.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
What a shame to a nice truck!
Have NRA and Leupold sticker on my pick up 2002 Chevy.(love my truck)
Wife does not allow stickers on autos she drives.
I must not stay around people that don't like my way of thinking.
We have yard flags, one the American Flag , Blue Lives Matter, and my wife's flower flag.

·
Registered
12,622 Posts
Discussions are one thing, making a statement is another.
With a smile and a salute to one of the best Forum members....if I had the good fortune to live in the beautiful area you live in, and with a similar self-sufficient property, I'd do the same thing. I remember -- again with a smile and good envy -- the entrance gate to your property and its obvious privacy from a long-ago post.

But it would be too close to a death wish to do so (the signs on your truck) in the urban jungle. Urban thugs will simply shoot, unprovoked, at someone bearing symbols or statements they dislike. No good way to deal with that very real threat...I cannot preemptively defend first.

I so much wish this were not so, but we see more and more unprovoked violent attacks in urban areas by leftist scumbags. It's a vile, terrible reality. The law is on the scumbags's side, for at least as long as the good guy is still living.

It is so good to see that common sense -- real common sense -- still prevails in much of our Country.

·
Premium Member
8,848 Posts
A lefty once told me they didn’t see any reason why a person needed more than a couple guns. I mentioned about 16 shooting sports, types of hunting, and self defense requiring a gun built for each application. That quieted them.
I also asked them if they knew the first bylaw of the NRA since they were badmouthing the NRA. Of course they said no. When told it was to protect the constitution and the borders of the USA they quieted. I then suggested to compare that to AlGore who wanted to shread it and rewrite it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
pawpawlong, I know it is a typo, but "Blue Livers Matter," is something I can identify with, from years ago choir practice!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
75,143 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live. If I lived and worked out in some rural, conservative area then maybe. But here in Seattle I'm stuck sharing BO with hard-core liberals who'd just as soon torch my vehicle if they saw a pro-gun or MAGA sticker on it. I'm also not keen on advertising to criminals that they can follow me home to find a small armory.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live.
As I read the post on this thread I thought that it was pretty obvious many here had never lived behind enemy lines. I lived in California for 65 years and it was actually covered in CCW class to keep a low profile remove any and all NRA stickers and anything that might identify you as a gun owner. People being reported as brandishing and when stopped by police and brought out of their car at gun point only to find out after a search that the occupants did not have a gun but there were NRA bumper stickers on the car. Red Flag laws being expanded to neighbors and people you work with. Now I live in Oklahoma and feel more confident about voicing my opinion but still prefer to adhere to the Gray Man theory. Being a senior citizen it is much easier to blend in.

·
Registered
12,622 Posts
I advertise nothing, because there are so many opportunistic thugs in the world. View attachment 617792
^^^ Irving, Texas police notice/poster. As a mostly N. TX resident, that notice/poster is 100% on target for most of the N.Texas urban environs.

Ironic is the California license plate. But it is also so true, as the leftists have migrated from the disaster they've created in California, so as to wreak the same disaster in Texas.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I am sure there are those escaping from California that don't recognize cause and effect. But many of us will be your biggest ally. We have a deeper appreciation for freedom.
Ironic is the California license plate. But it is also so true, as the leftists have migrated from the disaster they've created in California, so as to wreak the same disaster in Texas.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts