1911Forum banner

How many tinkerers amongst us?

• Never mess with my 1911's except to clean them

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Swap out external or simple things (grips, sights, etc.)

Votes: 64 45.1%
  • Love to get right in there; fearless 1911 mechanic

Votes: 68 47.9%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading on threads the flat statement that "1911 owners love to tinker with their guns". Without too many obscene jokes ;) -- I'm curious how true this is. I, personally, have no intention of tinkering with my 1911's any more than I would my SIGs or Berettas. But then again, I own a Suzuki, not a Harley.

So, how much of a minority am I?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Started off with a Norinco 1911 and changed every in it except the frame and slide. After seeing how much I put into it, I now see how Wilson's, Browns, and etc get there cost.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Those things are super easy to take apary, and swap parts out. Thats what makes a gun fun

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Oh hell yeah! I'm a danger to every 1911 I own!

MooHooHahaha.....MooHooHahaha :D in my best Dr. Evil voice

Hi, my name is Jeff......and I'm a 'cough' Tinkerer :eek: .

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
You don't tinker?

You're missing half the fun of owning a 1911.

JMB (God rest his soul) designed the thing to be GI proof. :D

Get in there Robert and tear one down. You may find that you really like tinkering after all.

Then get rid of that rice burner and trade up to some American Metal. Here's mine....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Right now I'm only on stage two of the desease, I change grips, sights and easily accessable non critical parts, but based on what I've done to revolvers and rifles I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I move into stage 3 and have full blown tinker-itus

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: You don't tinker?

potthawg said:
You're missing half the fun of owning a 1911.

JMB (God rest his soul) designed the thing to be GI proof. :D

Get in there Robert and tear one down. You may find that you really like tinkering after all.

Then get rid of that rice burner and trade up to some American Metal. Here's mine....
The only American Metal I'm considering is a Buell, does that count?

I'm not ready to mess with my Kimber, I like it too much to risk not getting it back together perfectly! I suppose I could buy something like a used SA Mil-Spec, just to tear it down and rebuild it, but not this year.

Tinkering would open a whole other part of this addictive hobby. Maybe I will someday, looks like I'll probably start reloading before too long. (Resistance seems to be futile.)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Robert1911

The Buell does count. Sorta. ;)

Your Kimber is a snap to detail strip being a 70 series type. If you don't strip it down how are you gonna be sure that everything is clean and protected with an oil film?
If you do a complete strip and clean you just might be surprised at how much smoother it gets.Pay particular attention to the firing pin and extractor chambers. If you carry often you may be surprised at the grit and lint that accumulates in the hammer and grip safety areas.

I promise you,you'll feel better about your pistol after a good detail strip/cleaning and oiling. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I tinker with my Springer, it gets new parts at least once a month. I leave my Wilson alone.......no touchy!! I use my Wilson for carry and IDPA so I can't do any more modifications to it that hasn't already been done. Like installing a tungsten guide rod....that would be cheating. Or lead weighting the dust cover...no no, that too would be wrong. And a few other things that the BOD at IDPA HQ would frown on. By the book, thats me. :D :D :D

If I ever shoot against any of you guys and I happen to win(slim chance) please disregard this post.:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yep...

Got a Mil-Spec just to play with... put a new sear, disconnector, trigger, thumb safety, full length Guide rod, ... hmmm thinking of a long slide in .460 rowland...

Also, of course, performed some cosmetics (mainly hex screws) on the other two springers I've got.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you haven't lost a spring or little part.....you just aren't trying hard enough:biglaugh:

I don't swap out very much anymore, it works fine and I feel that if I make any major changes (this one is my CCW) then I have to run at least 500 rounds thru it, before it regains it's trusted with my life status:rock:

rayjay, Don't forget the tungsten plug:hrm: it goes along great with the rod.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Part of the reason I love 1911's is because I can tinker with them. I like to personalize my pistols, I haven't fitted a barrel to a slide yet, or a slide to a frame, but that is simply because I am trying to justify doing so. I bought a couple of Sistemas to learn barrel fitting on, but heck, they just shoot to darned good! I will do anything that does not involve cutting on a frame, slide or barrel.

I advise anyone wanting to tinker on a 1911 to buy Sweeny's 1911 or gunsmithing book and learn to do it correctly. You mean some guys don't even detail their pistol?

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a history of trying to do things myself, then taking a box full of parts to my friendly local gunsmith (FLG) to fix my mistakes. He's good to me, because some 'smiths charge more when you try to do it yourself! :biglaugh:

When I lose a part, especially something that was formerly under spring tension, I just tell myself that it went to live with Jesus. By now, Jesus must have a really nice collection of 1911 parts and unmatched socks that went into the dryer, but never came out. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Being a car guy for years and years, I cannot ever leave well enough alone... This recently came back to bite me when I just HAD to take my new 1006 S&W apart just to see how everything works...you know something....there are ALL KINDS OF LITTLE SPRINGS in there...took me about 2 1/2 hours to figure out how everything went back together! ;)

Dan

·
Registered
893 Posts
I t would be a handy analogy to say that the 1911 is the Porsche Carerra of the gun world, but that would be giving short shrift to the 1911.

The truth is I have trouble thinking of another item in common use that was state of the art 90 years ago and still is today.

The ubiquity of the 1911 has granted us a cornucopia of parts and things to do to the gun. The problem is sometimes "best" is the enemy of "good" and in our quest to make our guns the best we sometimes screw them up...

·
Registered
327 Posts
sights and grips are all I'd do myself. and I wouldn't even have a qualified 'smith do anything that could get me in trouble in court - like messing with safeties or trigger pull.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Of course, I tinker - with just about all of my bric-a-brac! Yes, I get in over my head once in a while, but not often enough tor me to abandon the practice.

Potthawg, that's an AWESOME machine!

·
Banned
256 Posts
At first blush I thought this thread was titled "Do you tinkle?" and I was gonna reply:

[Patton]Of course I do, every damn day[/Patton]

:D

Fortunately, I caught my error. Yes, I tinkle, er, tinker.

:p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts