1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering about carry/pratice ammo... im just now getting into 1911's and will purchase on soon, ammo for them is pretty pricey and wondering who uses hydra-shok for carry and pratice?

basically do you think that its bad that someone uses differnent ammo for carry and then a lighter easier round for plinking? any opinions on this subject?

also where can i find either shok's or saber on sale by the case?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would use the same ammo for carry as practice if I could afford it. I do use the same buller weight (230 gr). Different loads don't seem to bother my kimber. Never did try other weights come to think of it....

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I use Federal 230gr fmj Am. Eagle value line for practice and Classic 230gr HiShok 230gr hollowpoint for carry. Same point of impact and felt recoil.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Too expensive, unless you use practice ammo for carry!

Do buy a couple hundred rounds of your carry stuff and run it through your pistol initially, then don't worry about it anymore.

I use Magtech 230 grain FMJ ball for practice and Remington 230 grain Golden Saber hollow points (the non-bonded variety) for carry. When my pistol was new, I ran 300 Magtech through it, then 200 GS. Now I just practice with the Magtech and I'll keep the GS I have for years. Don't feel the need to shoot the expensive stuff.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
At around 12K rounds per year, I would be living under a bridge it I shot premium JHP's for practice. No, I reload for practice ammo and for match ammo. Carry ammo has been tested to run in my pistol.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
mowerman said:
http://www.georgia-arms.com/power.htm

Gentlemen I give you +P .45 ammo with Gold Dot bullets, this is NOT reloaded ammo.

$260 per thousand.

You can afford to practice with what you carry.

You just have to start practicing right.

Slinging a few hundred rounds down range without THINKING about what and why you're doing is not practicing.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67798
I practice for competition also. Reloaded ammo at $70 per thousand. I shoot a lot more cardboard and steel than I do BG's. It is practicing. :cool:

G

·
Please don't misunderstand me.

I like to go to the range and just blast some ammo down range without really thinking I'm learning or training for anything.

Just shooting for fun.

There is however a fine line between increasing your skills and just blasting ammo.

It does not take very many rounds to cross that line.

Fatigue, lower levels of concentration, disinterest.............

All play a part.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
mowerman said:
Please don't misunderstand me.

I like to go to the range and just blast some ammo down range without really thinking I'm learning or training for anything.

Just shooting for fun.

There is however a fine line between increasing your skills and just blasting ammo.

It does not take very many rounds to cross that line.

Fatigue, lower levels of concentration, disinterest.............

All play a part.
I am sure the line varies from person to person.

4-5 trips to the range each month with 250 or so rounds each trip. Sometime 8 or more trips, not including matches.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
As long as you can get the same weight of slug up to nearly the same velocity in your practice ammo its utterly a waste of resources to shoot the same ammo that you carry.

The 147 and 230 gr UMC loads I practice with are about a third of the cost of the Remington 147 and 230 gr BJHP loads that have nearly identical recoil and hit to the almost exact same POI/POA.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mus said:
As long as you can get the same weight of slug up to nearly the same velocity in your practice ammo its utterly a waste of resources to shoot the same ammo that you carry.

The 147 and 230 gr UMC loads I practice with are about a third of the cost of the Remington 147 and 230 gr BJHP loads that have nearly identical recoil and hit to the almost exact same POI/POA.
thanks exactly what i was looking for.

so whats a good pratice ammo?

G

·
Good Lord in heaven. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying this is the only way to go.

I'm only saying it can be done.

YES, I agree the line does differ with everybody. Some can practice productively longer than others.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I've found that S&B 230g FMJ feels and hits like the Winchester RA45T's that I carry, and at a fraction of the cost. I do run several magazines of the Ranger ammo through every time I shoot.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Depending on how much you shoot and where you live, you could easily make an extra house payment a year or go from a 30 year to a 15 year mortgage on your house on the difference between suitable practice ammo and using your carry ammo.

BillD can make a couple or a few extra.

Its definetly not chump change. Its a big difference.

I also empty the mag Im carrying when I show, swap the spare mag into the gun, and reload another as a new spare with carry ammo before I leave.

That assures me that the gun is still workin with my carry ammo and that Im swapping out the old rounds on a constant basis.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The first 2000 rds I put through my 1911 were RA45T. I was testing mags and reliability and wasn't too worried about the cost.

I tried the Walmart WW 230FMJ value pack and the POI at 50' is identical to the RA45T so I've mostly switched to the WW FMJ. It doesn't kick quite as much as the RA45T but it's not a giant difference. I still run a few mags of RA45T through the gun every time I shoot it, just to make sure everything's still OK.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Nightlife, the notion that you need to use the same ammo for carry as you practice with is something of an old wive's tale. It is part of that conventional wisdom that has been around forever, but nobody has ever done anything about in regard to proving or refuting it.

Keep in mind that the idea is that you carry what you practice with so that when you discharge your gun in a defensive crisis situation, everything will be just like it is when you are shooting at the range. You will have the same muzzle flash, sound, felt recoil, and point of impact. Everything will be nominal.

Take each of these considerations. What about muzzle flash? Well, a lot of defensive ammo has a pretty marked muzzle flash, such as Gold Dots, Hydrashoks, etc. Most shootings are in limited lighting (supposedly) and yet most of our training is NOT in limited light. Whether the muzzle flash is more or less with your carry ammo than your practice ammo isn't going to matter too much as it will still be fairly bright whether you are used to it or not.

Noise, the noise should not be terribly different except for the fact that you probably will be shooting without your muffs on and since you don't practice that way, it will be loud regardless of the ammo you use, even if you don't have after-event memory of just how loud it was.

Felt Recoil, unless you practice with something substantially different in terms of weight, load, and powder burn rate, the felt recoil is going to be fairly comparable between practice and carry ammo. I have gone through and done side by side (or rather alternating rounds) with my carry ammo and various makes of cheaper ball ammo and while there can be some slight differences that can be discerned, they are just that, slight. For example, I find that Blazer 230 gr. ball mimicks Hydrashok 230 ball premium quite well, but that Fiocchi 230 gr. ball has more of a push recoil as compared with the sharper recoil of Blazer or Hydrashok. For chuckles and grins, our little shooting group decided to load one another's magazines to see what could be determined about various ammos and recoil and would integrate in the 'special' magazine with the other mags used by the shooter and had the shooter run a COF that was somewhat complex, involving shooting on the move, empty gun reloads, and was against the clock. We all managed to blast through the special magazines without realizing that we were shooting our carry ammo versus our practice ammo. Under the pressure constraints of trying to have accurate hits, best time, and doing everything needed to make those happen while on the move and reloading, the slight differences in recoil usually did not register. Translated into real life, you won't know the difference then either if your carry ammo is similar to your practice ammo. Keep in mind, we were knowingly doing comparative testing. I would guess that one week later, somebody could load up a mag for us, have us shoot it, and we would not know if it were regular practice ball or defensive ammo.

Point of Impact, some guns are a little finnicky between POA and POI with different types of ammo. This is very real. Chances are, however, that the 0-4" difference of POI at 25 yards will translate to 0-0.25" difference at mugging distance which is likely the distance you will be shooting should you need to shoot in a real life or death situation. At 10 yards, you might be 0-1.75" off. If you think about it, that isn't much for defensive shooting where your goal is to hit somewhere COM.

As noted above, just fine some quality ball ammo that comes close to mimmicking your carry ammo if that is important to you, but unless your practice ammo is hugely different than your carry ammo, then you probably won't notice the difference in handling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts