1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Maryland :( and so a new pistol that I'd like to buy must have an integrated locking system. I haven't found any mention of such a thing in Wilson's online literature, but the KZ-45 is listed on the MD State Police Handgun Roster. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thank you.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If it's listed as "approved" buy one quick and don't ask any questions. Maybe they won't figure it out.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Is it possible that the "Interated Locking System" requirement only applies to handguns made after a certain date?

Perhaps that might explain why the KZ is listed in the approved roster (grandfathered).

My recommendation would be to review the Maryland Law specifically. The answer might be there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
All guns manufactured after 12/31/02 must have an integrated locking system. You probably still get a KZ, you just have to have the dealer put an ILS in it if it comes in and was manufactured after that date. And if new must have the fired shell casing as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As indicated, Maryland requires all handguns manufactured on or after January 1, 2003 to contain an "integrated mechanical safety device." Maryland's rabidly* anti-gun Attorney General has opined that the usual safeties on handguns do not fall within the requirements of the law. In other words, the thumb safety, and beavertail type grip safety on a 1911 pattern handgun are not sufficient. The Maryland State Police has approved the Springfield Armory keylock system, which I gather is installed in all of Springfield's 1911 pattern guns, and is also available as an aftermarket part. I am told it is relatively easily installed, and is installed in the mainspring housing cover, which is replaced. The original mainspring housing cover can be retained.

Interestingly enough, there does not appear to be prohibition against possession, by the orginal owner, of a post 1/1/2003 manufacture handgun that has been modified back to its original condition. In other words, it would seem that after the transferee takes possession, the transferee can have the integrated lock removed and the original mainspring housing reinstalled by someone other than the original transferring dealer. Thereafter, the original owner can enjoy the handgun in peace. If the gun is subsequently sold, the law, as written, prohibits "dealers" from "sell[ing], offer[ing] for sale, rent[ing] or transfer[ing]" non interlocked guns; presumably if the gun is transferred through a dealer, the integrated lock must be reinstalled. It is an open question wheter the gun must be returned to its integrated lock state if the transfer is done privately, by two parties who are not "dealers" running the paperwork through the State Police.

However, I have not tested this interpretation of Maryland law, so do not rely upon it as legal advice!

(*Advocates near-total prohibition on civilian handgun ownership)

·
Registered
550 Posts
i fell sorry for you guys in maryland! i thought ohio had some crappy laws! can you guys buy som thing out of state and then go back home with it? man that law must really limit your choices on pistols!! again what a bummer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts