1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Colt Match Target and I'm in LOVE. the only problem I see with it is the trigger pull. It breaks clean with a small amount amount of creep but it I'm trying to cut down on some of that heft. I'm not looking for a rwo-stage jewell trigger here, but I've heard there is an ability to adjust a factory trigger on the Match Target series. Anybody out there familiar with this ?

P.S.

(Not trying to start a flame war here) I was sold on a Bushy dissipator model until my dealer let me fondle baby (Our nickname for this puppy). It was the same feeling I had when I was set on buying a Kimber pro-carry and my dealer let me hold a Colt SS Series 80 and everything is just right. I'll admit I'm a Colt fan but that is primarily because the Colt's I own have been darn near close to my idea of perfect. The 6731 is perfect in all of the right places. When you do your ART purchase, hit a gun show and fondle your short list, you'll learn a lot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've heard of some people get the files out and do some very careful work. Many advise against that. I spent the bucks and got a JP. Easy to install & adjust. Works great.

MD

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bluedog, I was actually leaning towards the JP over the jewell trigger. Do you have one yourself ? I'd just love to have my AR feel like my kimber . . .

·
Super Moderator
7,790 Posts
I am using the JARD trigger in all but one of my AR's now. I like it more than the Jewell I have in my DCM gun.

I actually followed the directions when installing it and it works great. Very clean break at about 1.5 lbs and no overtravel. The pre-travel/take-up is adjustable also.

And they are less than $120. Incredible deal.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom brother;

Where did ya buy it ? Sounds like my type of trigger !

·
Super Moderator
7,790 Posts
Brownells has them. Those guys get thousands of dollars a year from me.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Z man does a real good job with the stock parts.

they are 8620 tool steel, they are also case hardened. provided you do not break through the case you can work the stock parts.

the hammer notch can be halfed. the face of the trigger cand be altered but only to the extent of the depth of the shortened notch, any more and you will break through.

than you have to alter the disconector to hold the hammer till the trigger is released all the way.

the good news is the 3 parts cost 25.00 so if you don't get it correct the first time or two your not quite as sad.

geo ><>

I like the Knights trigger myself, on the 308 it works.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom brother;

I just was out checking on triggers and a question popped up. You probably shoot a BUNCH of mil surplus ammo. Have you run across any primers that won't go bang with your lighter trigger ? The Midway gunsmith catalog says you may have trouble with some surplus ammo and lighter triggers, Have you found this to be the case ?

·
Super Moderator
7,790 Posts
I shoot nothing but handloads with Federal or CCI primers. No problem lighting them off though. Wish I could be more help.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The Jewel trigger has a reduced power hammer spring, with mill spec ammo it may not break a cap.

the Hi power shooters take them and rebend the hammer spring. who wants to wait for the hammer to fall

geo ><>

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bigboy,

Yes I got a JP and it is fine. It was easy to install and adjust. It is A LOT better than the factory trigger that came with my 6601. Got mine from Gunsmoke.

MD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts