1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please see attached picture. I cut the frame to accommodate the barrel ramp to exact specs, but the bottom of the barrel radius is sitting on the frame, preventing the bottom of the barrel's ramp from getting anywhere near its corresponding frame cutout. Schuemann's barrel instructions seem to say that you can relieve this, but I have a vague recollection of Jerry saying that you need contact here. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Releiving the inside of the frame rails....

:scratch:Although pictures are deceiving, it appears the bottom of the ramp is not very close to the bottom of the frame ramp cut.

If the bottom of the ramp is fairly close, you might be able to relieve the inside of the rails....if it is not close, you may be better suited to silver solder a shim on the bottom of the ramp, slightly oversized, so you can machine or flat file the shim to the proper depth to contact the bottom of the frame cut out.

Ideally, you want the barrel ramp to touch the bottom of the frame cut out and the the underside of the barrel to touch the rails near simultaneously..... When the barrel is at full lock down, you will still need roughly .015" of clearance between the top of the barrel and the slide.....

I am curious, are you using a Schuemann ramped barrel and following the Schuemann instructions for fitting their ramped barrel.....? :scratch:

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Let's see a pic of the top of the frame and of the cuts you have made.
Too many pics is better than too few.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did you make the barrel bed cut in the top of your frame before doing the ramp cut? Since the barrel bed cut is wider than the ramp cut, that might explain why the barrel won't drop down.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you make the barrel bed cut in the top of your frame before doing the ramp cut? Since the barrel bed cut is wider than the ramp cut, that might explain why the barrel won't drop down.
? As per the barrelmaker's instructions, I cut the part of the frame where the barrel bed normally is from the VIS all the way back to the mag well to a depth of .315", just a hair wider than the ramp. I then plunge milled a new VIS (but not all the way back to .600" as per the Schuemann specs. I did that last time, and it cost me a frame) to a depth of .270 below the first .315 cut. Something I did note about this frame; it didn't have the bevels in front of the barrel bed, which would cradle the barrel, the way they're depicted in most drawings. I added a very, very tiny bevel, in the hope that it would rectify this situation. It helped somewhat, but didn't cure it. I do have a link on the barrel from my last attempt (before I screwed up the frame thanks to Clark's lousy instructions), but whether the slide stop is installed or not doesn't affect this situation. There's daylight under the barrel's feet, and about .050 of it under the barrel's ramp. I'll get out my Canon EOS-1 and take some high-quality pics, as requested by Pistolsmith. Please stand by...

·
Registered
502 Posts
What is your barrel bed height? I would measure the barrel ramp height and make my cut that deep. After confirming barrel bed height. You can always go deeper.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, that's hopefully enough to show you what's going on. It really seems like it coud use just a bit of clearancing, especially since these frames appear no tot have had any sort of relief done on them, not to mention the Schuemann instructions saying:"......then disassemble the gun and remove small amounts of metal from the frame where contact is obvious and repeat the preceding sequence until the contact between the barrel standing lugs and frame is reasonably uniform. The strongest contact should be in the upper portion of the vertical surfaces. There should be no contact between the barrel
and frame rails, no contact between the barrel and frame in the horizontal portion of the slot, and only light contact between the lower portion of the vertical surfaces.", BUT, I don't want to remove metal unless this something that a pro would do to remedy this situation. I'm in no hurry to ruin another frame.:bawling:

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the frame doesnt have barrel bed radius cut ... is this 80% frame?
Yep. So I'm guessing that when you use a regular barrel with this, you pull the ball end mill forward to the dust cover at .080 deep after cutting the frame brige. I think I see what's wrong now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think all measurements are taken from the pin hole so I am not sure about the .080 measurement. I think I would first establish the deck height (frame rails). Then indicate off of the deck for barrel bed depth. Do you have a ball end mill with the same OD as your barrel?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would put the slide on and measure the distance between the first lug to the bottom of your feed ramp cut. I would think this should equal your overall barrel height plus .015 or .020.
Just to ensure proper clearance at link down.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts