1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't care too much for the silver color of chrome, so I'm looking for a brushed/satin finish in navy blue, dark grey, or blue/grey. Kind of like the picture at the following link, but that's just a parkerized one in different lighting. Does anyone do this? Is it possible to get chrome in different colors?
http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000497.html

[This message has been edited by sean (edited 08-29-2001).]

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm no expert and surely not up to date on the latest finishes but here are a few observations.
Parkerizing can be various shades of grey or green and how it looks is greatly affected by the underlying polish job. If a gun is parkerized and then run thru a bluing tank you get a dead black finish. Electroless Nickel is a yellowish shade of silver if that makes any sense, it has a warmer color than she stark white/silver of chrome. (To my eye it looks like white gold which is gold with a nickel content.) Given your stipulations, my choice would be Electroless nickel over a nice polish and glass bead job, it is durable and looks good.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another option I was thinking about was bead blasting the polished area and then having the entire outer surface, ever so slightly, polished to a satin/brushed finish. I wonder if SA would be willing to do this? That should give a interesting grey look.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by gunny6:
Check out;

www.Trippresearch.com

Just sent in a frame today for his Cobra Coat. I`ll let you know how it looks when it comes back.........
I would love to see what it looks like when you get it back. Did you tell him you wanted a matte, satin, or polished finish?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sean, I bead blasted the frame before I sent it in, it`s a lightweight alamunum frame so I`m sure it will come back with a matte black semi gloss finish. Having the small parts done in Cobra Chrome, then I`m putting a 38 Super engraved, nickel top end on it..Can`t wait to get it back.. If I ever could learn how to post pictures I`d show it off alittle.....

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by gunny6:
so I`m sure it will come back with a matte black semi gloss finish.
CobraCoat is available in three gloss levels: matte, satin, and gloss like Sean said. I have the satin and it's fairly glossy. Being a polymer finish, there's definitely no "brushed" effect to it. Tripp did a really nice job on the gun. I just saw a couple gun that he hardchromed and they are among the nicest hardchrome jobs I ever saw.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In my request to Virgil I asked him to apply a gloss black finish..I`ll let you know how it looks on it`s return.......

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard mixed reviews on the durability of NP3. Just as a side note Springfield told me that it would cost $75 plus $25 for shipping to bead blast the polished areas. Jeez, for a few dollars more, I can get the Tripp hard chrome job!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sean, can`t you find a local guy with a bead blaster ? I have a blaster and charge $35.00 to do a handgun, includes disassembly, clean, lube, assemble, but I`m retired and got lots of time...Sure makes stainless pistols look good.....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, another thing is that if I bead blast the entire gun it will be prone to rust. Is there a clear Teflon coat that I can put on myself?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I really don`t think you`ll have a rust problem with a stainless gun unless you really neglect it. Brownell`s sells a clear coat shake and bake if you want to try it. Nice thing about that shake and bake paint, you can blast it off if you don`t like it.......

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
gunny6.....
Thanks for the heads-up on Tripp Research and Cobra Coat. found the following on their website:

Looks like a good place to work!

Regards,
Sam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts