1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am putting together my first reloading setup, and I bought my very first container of powder and box of bullets.
I'd been on here soaking up as much info as I could, and browsing all over the reloading data on Hodgdon.com... I intended on buying some Varget. Well, when I got to the shop yesterday morning, they were out of Varget and wouldn't be getting any more for a week or so. There wasn't many other options, BL-C2, H335, H380, IMR 3031, Ramshot TAC, and Reloader 15. Since I had done all my research so far based on Varget, so I had to make a decision on the fly. The salesman there helping me was they're resident reloading guru, and he agreed that Varget is one that every .308 loader should try, but he recommended me Reloader 15 as a second. I also bought a box of CCI BR-2 Large Rifle Benchrest primers, and a box a Nosler 165gr. Ballistic Tip Hunting rounds.
When I got home and looked through all my little data manuals and info I'd saved online, I couldn't find any loading data for Reloader 15, and Alliant's website doesn't offer the Nosler 165BT as an option.
I know that is EXTREMELY dangerous to take any loading data from a person without checking it with a book, this is why I am asking if anyone has a Nosler Reloading manual, and am asking if they would relay me the data listed for .308 Winchester / Nosler 165 BT (green tip) / CCI BR-2 Primers / R-P cases, starting load and max load as well as velocities and CUP. (I don't want to exceed 53,000CUP in my rifle).

Alliant's Data website lists these recipe's for .308 w/ Reloader15:

----------Sierra 165 Spitzer --------Barnes165 X-------- Sierra 168 HPBT

CASE - ---Fed. --------------------Fed. -----------------Fed.
MIN. OAL --2.7 --------------------2.75----------------- 2.7
PRIMER ----Fed. 210--------------- Fed. 210------------- Fed. 210M
POWDER --RL15-------------------- RL15 -----------------RL15
CHARGE ---45.5-------------------- 43.5 -----------------42.8
VEL -------2,780------------------- 2,675---------------- 2,665
PSI -------57,000------------------ 57,000---------------- 56,600

According to this, if I were to start at say, 40gr, I should be theroetically safe, correct? I don't have a chronograph, so I have to take paperwork's word for it... Also, on the Sierra 168 HPBT load, why does the primer have an "M" on it? Magnum? Why would you use a magnum primer in a .308? Also, is PSI the same as CUP? These pressures seem high to me if CUP is the same as PSI...
These Nos.165BT's I am loading are for long range hunting whitetail, so accuracy is more important than power... all I need is say 2600 fps and 2550 ft.lbs, I should be able to get that without even nearing a max load...
Thanx for all info given, please, only give me what the Nosler manual says, I don't wanna ruin my rifle :) (Or myself)

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is recommended to reduce listed charges by 10% to use as a starting load. Magnum primers are used for harder to ignite powders, typically ball powders. I always had good success with the IMR powders, 3031 for 130 gr. and 4064 for 150 gr., in my .308 Win.. They both gave single digit standard deviation and sub MOA accuracy in my Win. model 88.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I use IMR 4064 in my Win 308 loads. I knocked a whitetail out of it's shoes with my Ruger Model 77 bolt in 308 Win the day after I hit a deer with my '04 Corvette! Very satisfied with the reload! It's cool to take out game with your own reloaded bullet!

John

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do any of you have any books with reloading data for my 165 Nosler BT w/ R-P once fired cases, CCI BR-2 Benchrest primers, and using Alliant Reloader 15?
I dont have a chronograph (yet) so I just want to get a good, accurate hunting load... not min and not max. loads. Please also include where your data came from (ie. Hornady manual, Sierra manual, Nosler manual, etc).
Thanks guys!!

Also, I've been reading about primers that people are using for the .308, some Win. Large Rifle, other Federal 210 and Federal 210M (I understand the "M" stands for Match) and CCI Benchrest BR-2 (what I've bought) and CCI plain large rifle...
What are the benefits of getting the match primers? Also, would I ever have a need to use magnum primers?
And lastly, why does my Lee reloading equipment only recommend to use Winchester or CCI primers?
Thanx again!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Damascus said:
Do any of you have any books with reloading data for my 165 Nosler BT w/ R-P once fired cases, CCI BR-2 Benchrest primers, and using Alliant Reloader 15?
I dont have a chronograph (yet) so I just want to get a good, accurate hunting load... not min and not max. loads. Please also include where your data came from (ie. Hornady manual, Sierra manual, Nosler manual, etc).
Thanks guys!!

Also, I've been reading about primers that people are using for the .308, some Win. Large Rifle, other Federal 210 and Federal 210M (I understand the "M" stands for Match) and CCI Benchrest BR-2 (what I've bought) and CCI plain large rifle...
What are the benefits of getting the match primers? Also, would I ever have a need to use magnum primers?
And lastly, why does my Lee reloading equipment only recommend to use Winchester or CCI primers?
Thanx again!
From my Nosler Manual loading the .308 Winchester

165gr. to 168gr. bullets

Federal 210M primers used

Winchester case

Test barrel 24” Lilja

RL-15 start load 40.0gr = 2660 fps Case Load density 83%
42.0gr = 2794 fps Case Load density 87%
44.0gr = 2820 fps Case Load density 91% (Nosler most accurate load for this powder)

Also, there is the standard warning from Nosler regarding loading the Partition* and the Fail Safe* bullets. ALWAYS begin using starting loads with these bullets.

The advantage from the match primers is supposed to be a more reliable and consistent ignition.
I use Federal Match primers in Handgun and Rifle and find very little difference in the Hunting rounds performance I produce.
But that’s a different performance demand than say target shooting.
The benchrest guys are looking for a whole different response from their tuned range rifle loads.
I like the way the primers cycle in the cases and on the press for most of the reason I use them.

You should never have to use a Magnum primer in your .308 case.
Even if you were able to stuff enough of the slow burning powder these are designed to ignite, you probably would not see any significant accuracy improvement.
The .308 thrives on the medium to fast rifle powders mostly due to its case size and design.
If you were looking for more speed with slower powders you would be better off going to a larger case.

I’m not sure what the fuss is, supposedly the story is the Federal primers are “softer”
This has to be a misnomer (falsehood) more Internet misinterpretation than anything.

What the Federal primers may be is more sensitive to ignition and may not agree with the Lee primer loading mechanism.
I have run the Federal 215M Magnum primer in several Magnum calibers right up to the 65,000-psi threshold and have not experienced any failure of the primer.
The 215 primer is my primer of choice for the big belted Magnums I load for.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
TheGerk said:
RL-15 44.0gr = 2820 fps Case Load density 91% (Nosler most accurate load for this powder)
There's the one you want...work up to it of course. I run it at 43.5 grains and get 2755 fps from a 22 inch Lilja barrel... 5 shot 100 yard group is one ragged hole. It may or may not work with your gun...but mine likes it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks!

Thanks Gerk! That is EXACTLY what I needed.

Also, Ridgerunner, when you say "work up to", I've always wanted to ask this question, but never knew how to ;
When I start with the starting load (in my case will be 40.0gr), how will I know if I go too high?
My plan is to load 9 rounds at 40.0, 9 rounds at 41.0, 9 rounds at 42.0, and then increase by 0.5 until I reach 44.0, and shoot three 3 rounds groups (9 rounds) and choose the most accurate load... Lets just say that for some reason, surpassing 43.0gr. in my rifle is too much pressure, too hot of a load.. and I am shooting some 44.0gr. rounds... how can I tell that they are too hot? I dont yet own a chrono, are there any other tell-tale signs of too hot of a load?
I don't care to max out my load unless it's more accurate, I dont need more power than what a standard .308 offers.. As long as this hunting load produces in the ball park of 2600fps, that's plenty enough power IMO for whitetail hunting up to 500 yards, maybe even farther since the Nosler Ballistic Tip is known for it's rapid, sometimes too rapid expansion.
Thanks so far for this information, it's been VERY helpful!

EDIT: Forgot to add; this data as you mentioned is listed for a 24" Lilja barrel, I will be shooting from a Remington M700 SPS Varmint w/ factory 26" heavy barrel... will the extra 2" of length matter? I've always heard that you can add 50fps per every 2" of barrel length.. that true?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The most obvious sign of too much pressure is "primer flow".
But another sign is bright marks on the case head where the breech face is cutout for the extractor. At high pressure the brass will "flow" into this area.
And pay attention to your primer pockets....if they are way too big...you have went over the limit.

EDIT: 26 inches is too long for a 308...it wont hurt anything except velocity...but you may play around with slower burning powders and find something that works. I think 22 inches is plenty for a 308...only those long magnum length (7mm Rem Mag) rounds need 26 inches of barrel.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EDIT: 26 inches is too long for a 308...it wont hurt anything except velocity...but you may play around with slower burning powders and find something that works. I think 22 inches is plenty for a 308...only those long magnum length (7mm Rem Mag) rounds need 26 inches of barrel.
Yeah, I know, but I couldn't find any heavy barrelled 22" rifles in my price range at the time :) Going to cut and re-crown this one if it proves to be worth it, otherwise, going to rebarrel the action once this one is shot-out (If I own it that long :))

I read that it is a good practice to bring along a case holder and put your fired cases into it. If the cases won't easily slide into the case holder, pressure is too high, even if there's no primer signs. Is this a good practice? Also, my case holder is an RCBS #3, if that matters. Thanks!

Also, I have been reading a lot about bullet seating... I find some seating at 2.750", some at 2.800", some above and below... I also read that if you seat into the rifling lands, pressure will skyrocket... same thing if you seat too far away from the lands... what's the best procedure for this? I was just going to make all my rounds 2.800" to start out with. Would that be ok?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts