1911Forum banner

Does anyone have a secret gun safe/storage?

55531 92
I was looking through the web and found some "Book case" that opened into a gun store or refrigerators with their internals ripped out with a safe inside. Does anyone have anything like that here. I am looking for some ideas, my house does not have much closet space AT ALL. So I am forced to have this outside but in a room. I don't want people to come into a room and be like "heyyyyyy a gun safe"
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Being a crafty carpenter- there's several spaces in a couple of my past residences that I guaranty the present owners have yet to discover. I give up one: In my younger days when liquored up I punched a couple of holes in the wall about 6' high by the back door. Lucky for me I didn't hit a stud but was on either side of a 2x6 exterior wall. I cut out the spaces and created a row of "cubby holes" about 6" tall. Took a nice piece of 1x8 oak about 40" long , 45'ed & routed the corners, some nice stain/finish and 4 brass coat hooks I mounted it over the holes with european hidden hinges and when a few coats were hung on it you would never think to lift it up. Brian

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
basement room, strengthened walls, steel frame door and steel door enclosing waterproof, fireproof, bolted to the concrete floor and concrete wall safe.

You have to break into the house, break into the basement, break into the man cave, then break into the saferoom and finally break into the safe.

IF you can get all that done without the alarm system notifying the Sheriff or one of the nosey neighbors noticing you prior to you even getting into the house then you're probably smarter than the average mutt and won't bother with my stash anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maybe 3 Lardasses CAN Move A 2,000 Pound Safe

I sold safes and vaults to banks, spec'd out and supervised installation, etc. Some points:

*No three guys on planet earth can hustle 1,000 to 2,000 pound safes out of a house quickly. Good luck moving that kind of thing down even two steps with a mess of guys. Even if you move safes for a living, it takes longer to plan a move like that than a robber has time for the whole theft.

*Safes available to homeowners are seriously low quality versus what even any rinky-dink credit union has. Having said that, bank safes are routinely tested with jackhammers in the design phase and have had anti-dynamite features for about a century. But most safes, bank or consumer, are susceptible to cutting torches.

*Banks put the preponderance of cash where you would not expect it and keep their cash in multiple places. Do the same with valuables. Keep stuff that others value separate from what only you value (don't keep your will or papers in your gun safe).

*Now, finally, my chance to state this: Anybody who compares a quality firearm to the lockup of a vault door doesn't really know anything about vault doors (how precisely do you think a contractor can hang a door that weighs several thousand pounds?). They have more slop than a boy named Lardass.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A good friend had the best idea I have seen so far. When he built his home, he had a 10 X 10 foot room in the basement that was completely reenforced concrete, including the roof, then had a nice walk-in vault door installed. No one is going to get into much lest carry it off.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I don't need a safe. I have a Bob.

What's a Bob?

Bob is my 90 year old WWII vet next door neighbor who sleeps about two hours a day and sees everything that happens in the neighborhood. He keeps his 1911 on the table next to his recliner or in his belt... and he just wants ONE more notch before he goes!

So go ahead punk, ya feelin lucky?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I keep a dozen Diamondback rattlers inside my locked gun safe. Haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Don't need one.

J/K. Actually you can just hide it in plain sight.

Now you see it:

Now you don't: ;)

·
Registered
29,487 Posts
I saw something that I thought was pretty clever.

Somebody was selling safes designed to look like soda vending machines. It might work for a business. But If I ever went into somebodies house and saw a coke machine in there. I would wonder about it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't need a safe. I have a Bob.

What's a Bob?

Bob is my 90 year old WWII vet next door neighbor who sleeps about two hours a day and sees everything that happens in the neighborhood. He keeps his 1911 on the table next to his recliner or in his belt... and he just wants ONE more notch before he goes!

So go ahead punk, ya feelin lucky?
I have a Charlie, ex Marine, retired Hwy Patrolman who was head of drug task force and spent 5 yrs undercover. I swear he never sleeps. He can tell you every car that has been on our street everyday, probably has license #'s and names too.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.