1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have the standard R1 and considering the commander size R1 Carry. Does anyonehave both and could they talk about the difference in handling/shooting? It could also enlighten us all on the forge/cast discussion that's going on other threads. Thanks.
I know the difference with Colts, I'm interest in our undervalued Remingtons.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I had a standard R1 and it was quite good but among other things I prefer a beavertail.

Regarding the Carry Commander sized pistol, excellent. I also have the Carry 5-inch. Really can't tell the difference in shooting them.

The "melting" is uniformly good on both, each has a 4.5-pound crisp letoff, the checkering is excellent front strap and MSH.

Whether a forged frame is all that much better than a cast one, I think the jury is still out and will be for years.

The grips are very good and complement the front and back strap checkering.

Regarding the night sight, it's front only and that's fine by me.

Working the actions are very smooth, almost silky in frame to slide fitting.

One poster on this forum has suggested that Remington gets its machined/forged frames for the Carrys from Para. I probably believe it since Para and Remington are within the same arms conglomerate that also includes Marlin.

For pricing in my area, $650 for Standard and $1,050 for either Carrys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer, it's exactly what I was looking for. I agree, the forge/cast debate will continue long after we stop shooting these frames.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Uncle Ed:

I had to edit this because I misread something. Can you take a pick of one of your right side of grip frame with grip removed. I would do this in a store if I knew where one was that had a carry. If you are unable to post a pic, just look for a small box not to far from the upper grip bushing.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Chuntaro,

If you're questioning what I said about the checkering and the grips, I meant that the grips have a patterned checkering that seems to meld right into my hand along with the front and back checkering.

In other words, it feels good all around. (I am a lefty)

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Chuntaro,

Why don't you just say what you're looking for regarding a small box and
other coding or the lack of any box or coding? And say what is the significance if any? And what do you mean you're interested in the steel under the wood?

Forgive my suspicious nature but it seems like you're being purposely vague and perhaps playing some sort of gotcha game. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I've never seen such a jerk as you, who won't answer a simple question.
Very articulate commentary. In the event you failed to notice, I ask a simple question first. Instead of a simple answer, I received "why do you want to know." This might be a "gotcha" question.

Uncle Ed was welcome to articulate he was unwilling or incapable of removing his right grip and comment. I have posted pictures in the hope of assisting folks all over this forum. Why? Because a picture carries more weight. Nobody ask on this forum in my experience, "why do you want to know." People want to know for the sake of interest. My interest was my interest alone. I wanted to know for my own edification. Only someone with paranoid tendencies would suspect a sinister motive. I even provided Uncle Ed a roadmap to locate the information requested.

I have found some on this forum to have much greater knowledge from direct and personal experience than a cs representative reading a computer generated response. The product lines of many manufacturers is staggering. Most phone representatives do not use the product and they certainly do not assemble them. Remington told me they do not discuss mid product changes and do not bring former specifications up to current specifications until there is a failure. I doubt uncle Ed was provided any great information from cs personnel. I had no interest in cs information as they have a conflict of interest. They sell products and in such manner derive their livelihood. I wanted information from a person claiming to have such an item and based upon his ability to conduct a visual inspection. Why ask cs if you have the answer in your presence?

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have the standard R1 and considering the commander size R1 Carry. Does anyonehave both and could they talk about the difference in handling/shooting? It could also enlighten us all on the forge/cast discussion that's going on other threads. Thanks.
I know the difference with Colts, I'm interest in our undervalued Remingtons.
I have both an R1S and a Carry Commander. The Commander is a much nicer gun. It's kinda' like someone put some time into it. The S is a fine weapon, accurate, smooth, it's a nice gun. I would change some things...beaver tail,
ambi-safety, night sight, checkering....oh yeah my Commander has all that. and it's dehorned. How sweet. Believe it or not it's a lot nicer to carry. That 3/4 inch is huge in terms of carry. I carry inside the waist with a crossbreed super tuck and other then the weight it's more friendly then my SR40C. Trigger on the Carry is crisp. The only complaint I have is the finish. It's shining up rather quick. Not something I'm jumping up and down about I carry this gun everywhere. It was not my intent to carry this gun everyday but it's reliable. I trust more then anything else in my safe. I've put 800 rounds thru it without any problems. The S not quite so lucky. That was a 100 round break in, some messaging of the slide another 100 rounds, some Chip McCormick mags and she's good to go.

Short of it, the price difference between the two is considerable but worth it. If you like the standard, you'll love the Commander.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts