1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More specifically I am curious about their brass. I am currently building up a stock of .243 Winchester brass for a recent rifle purchase. I bought some Hornady brass when I first got the rifle because that was all that was available. Then when I was able to get some Winchester brass for considerably less, I bought some of that.

Well today I was looking for some more brass. The only thing that I could find was brass from Silver State Armory. Which, interestingly enough was priced just about exactly half way between Hornady and Winchester. Well I held off because I really do not want to get into too many different brands for this round in this rifle. But depending on a number of things including whether or not I get any feedback here. I may check some out. All constructive feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My only dealings with Silver State Armory brass is with 6.8 SPC, and my results where that it is quality brass.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
SSA is a subsidiary of Nosler (I just bought a box of SSA 5.56 on sale at Cabelas, and it says "Loaded by Nosler") so I would imagine it's good brass.

·
Registered
23,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is interesting.

SSA is a subsidiary of Nosler (I just bought a box of SSA 5.56 on sale at Cabelas, and it says "Loaded by Nosler") so I would imagine it's good brass.
Maybe it is Nosler brass in another package. Nosler is pretty proud of their brass. Or maybe it is Nosler Seconds. I might have to check some out.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Only recently is Nosler Ammunition owner of SAA. "Silver State" refers to Nevada where they started. But Nosler Ammo in Oregon made a deal to buy them out in June 2013. I keep saying Nosler Ammo because that is a separate entity (same big company, just a separately organized entity) of the Nosler parent.

Nosler or not, SAA has always been quality historically. I'm as happy as if it was Nosler.

We would be surprised how much subcontracting goes on. When I go to Shot Show, all those industry guys are constantly making deals and such. For instance, Noveske ammo is also made by Nosler. That Israeli ammo company TZZ is the manufacturer for a bunch of Winchester handgun ammo. They're all in bed with each other.

You mentioned 243 Win. My personal experience with Winchester brass is excellent. If I find more Win brass, I buy it. Is it the best 243 brass in the known universe? No, but for the price it's pretty good. For the best, be willing to send a lot of money to your friends in Scandinavia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts