1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my colleagues at work who is NOT new to EDC (or guns in general) really surprised me that he doesn't keep a round in the chamber on his carry weapon (G19) because he doesn't want to risk a negligent discharge. I have heard some people that don't like to keep "one in the pipe" in their home defense weapon (be it a pistol, rifle or shotgun), but I had never heard anybody say they did not keep a loaded chamber on their carry weapon. I asked him why he wouldn't want to give himself every advantage when seconds count, but he claimed he could draw and rack the slide quickly enough that the time difference was negligible.

Got me wondering if anyone else here subscribed to that philosophy, or didnt feel completely safe keeping a round in the chamber on their EDC.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
"Does anyone here EDC with NO round in the chamber?"

No

Reactions: Cannibul

·
Registered
755 Posts
I did the first couple days, with a new 1911/ambi and holster as I was afraid it would catch on something.. After a few days, I ran it locked&loaded, since it had no issues - but I was a LOT happier when I got rid of the offside lever.

No problems since.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I don't think he's wrong. Whatever floats your boat. I could live with that if I had to. You just rack the slide and you're ready to go. But, once you realize how safe the 1911 is, with a manual thumb safety, a half-cock safety, a grip safety, and some with a firing pin safety; and the rest with a solid firing pin spring, you realize how incredibly safe the design is. You don't need to carry with an empty chamber.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I have a G19, if I were to carry it it would be with an empty chamber. 1911s, LC9, 92FS all with a round in the chamber. I wouldn't carry a 1911 without the safety on, Glock has no safety and the trigger pull @5# is about the same as a 1911. Why take a chance?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have a G19, if I were to carry it it would be with an empty chamber. 1911s, LC9, 92FS all with a round in the chamber. I wouldn't carry a 1911 without the safety on, Glock has no safety and the trigger pull @5# is about the same as a 1911. Why take a chance?
Agreed

All my firearms have at least one safety and I always have a round in the chamber.
If I was FORCED to carry a glock (and it would have to be forced) it would be with an empty chamber.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
This topic, lubes and calibers are the most prolific threads in existence

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
My feeling is that once the loaded and chambered Glock is in the holster, it's safe. If I'm carrying a Glock, it's chamber loaded. As long as you're careful and look it into the holster, meaning that you make sure there is no clothing or anything else wrapped around the trigger area as you're holstering it, you're fine.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I look at it this way...gun defense incidents typically come quickly and unannounced. So, the pistol needs to be ready to go NOW...which means a round needs to be chambered.

Now...if you think the pistol you've decided to carry isn't safe to carry with a round in the chamber, you chose the wrong pistol.

Personally, I'm not a fan of any striker fired pistol. Never had one and probably never will. I carried Beretta DA/SA pistols for many years before becoming a 1911 convert about 3 years ago. Now I always have a 1911 on me cocked and locked. Between the safety lever and grip safety, I feel it is safe to carry with a round chambered.

However, if I wanted to carry what I felt was the safest pistol with a chambered round, it would be a SA/DA, hammer fired pistol.

·
Super Moderator
14,206 Posts
Run the Tueller Drill with your friend....on the clock. In a real life situation, he could very well get sliced; JMHO. Most of the most recognized trainers (Vickers, Hackathorn, Leatham, Wilson, and all the Dallas PD firearms trainers I've met) would not recommend an empty chamber for SD carry; there must be a reason. If I don't feel safe with a round in the chamber, it is NOT going to be a gun that I carry. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
even if you could chamber a round and fire in the same amount of time as a loaded chamber carry, what would happen if when you did rack the slide it jammed. Bang, your dead. At least carrying with one in the chamber you will have one shot for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
Practice

I don't think he's wrong. Whatever floats your boat. I could live with that if I had to. You just rack the slide and you're ready to go. But, once you realize how safe the 1911 is, with a manual thumb safety, a half-cock safety, a grip safety, and some with a firing pin safety; and the rest with a solid firing pin spring, you realize how incredibly safe the design is. You don't need to carry with an empty chamber.
^^^ this ^^^
Yes, haven’t seen a post for a while: but there was at least one member who openly admitted using “Israeli Carry”, as a carry-over from a department requirement in a L.E.O. role ... and was badly treated over it. But I recall seeing postings from the account since. There’s a reason that an empty chamber and a full mag are called “Israeli Carry”. And I won’t argue about it with Israeli security that does it. If it’s practiced, operating the slide needn’t be all that slow. About 50 practice draws and I was only losing a fraction of a second in a draw; enough practice and I’d think it wouldn’t be much more than disengaging the thumb safety.

That written, if I don’t trust the combination of firearm and myself - for my part, I’d change something in the combination rather than carry with an empty chamber.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
When bad stuff happens you may have one hand busy defending yourself, hanging on or even injured. Fractions of seconds count too.
Modern guns are drop safe.
The reason most people want to carry with an empty chamber is fear.

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
single-handed

When bad stuff happens you may have one hand busy defending yourself, hanging on or even injured. Fractions of seconds count too.
Modern guns are drop safe.
The reason most people want to carry with an empty chamber is fear.
Having helped teach "wounded shooter" classes, I wouldn't want to rely on having two hands *at all* in order to use a pistol; the other, as you point out, might be wounded. For one thing, my first pistol mentor had only one hand.

But also: to each his own. During a social occasion, if that Israeli Carry member was on my side but .3sec behind me in a draw, man! I'd just be glad to *have* somebody behind me!

Reactions: Cannibul
1 - 20 of 82 Posts