1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
12,932 Posts
I see it like drag racing. Every advantage has to be utilized.

You MUST be ready to launch EXACTLY when the last amber light turns off.

Ya gotta GO right then, or you're screwed.

There's no futzing around with the keys as the tree's counting down!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Having been on the two way shooting range couple of times I can tell you this from experience.

The fewer physical tasks you have to complete to start getting rounds on target the better.

It is not like the movies where everything goes as planned. Why someone would want to hamper themselves before a gunfight, in any way, is something I never understood.

Each to his own I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having been on the two way shooting range couple of times I can tell you this from experience.

The fewer physical tasks you have to complete to start getting rounds on target the better.

It is not like the movies where everything goes as planned. Why someone would want to hamper themselves before a gunfight, in any way, is something I never understood.

Each to his own I guess.
This. Exactly!

·
Registered
351 Posts
But is he wrong? I personally dont think its a good idea, but I wasn't sure if it was necessarily a BAD idea, so I didnt argue my position.
Not wrong, but silly in my mind if it's a decent holster. Carried a 27 and a 19 for many years and never had one go off without pulling the trigger.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Use scenarios limiting hand/ arm used to rack slide.

One of my colleagues at work who is NOT new to EDC (or guns in general) really surprised me that he doesn't keep a round in the chamber on his carry weapon (G19) because he doesn't want to risk a negligent discharge. I have heard some people that don't like to keep "one in the pipe" in their home defense weapon (be it a pistol, rifle or shotgun), but I had never heard anybody say they did not keep a loaded chamber on their carry weapon. I asked him why he wouldn't want to give himself every advantage when seconds count, but he claimed he could draw and rack the slide quickly enough that the time difference was negligible.

Got me wondering if anyone else here subscribed to that philosophy, or didn't feel completely safe keeping a round in the chamber on their EDC.
Throw a couple of scenarios at him to hopefully show he needs to be C1 should his support hand or arm be out of action. He's holding hands with spouse or children and needs to react to a threat and keep loved ones safe too. He's been knocked to the ground and is now being kicked. He's been pushed against a wall and his arm is pinned down. ETC.

If he's afraid of ND a friend of mine puts a small strip red painters tape (Paper kind) on the top portion of his weapon to remind him his weapon is HOT when drawn.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
All my carry guns are chambered and I switch between 1911s and Glock. A Glock with a good quality holster that covers the trigger in careful hands is as safe as any other gun.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't carry with an empty chamber, but I am alright with him doing it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I always carry with one in the tube, Glock 27 or my 3” & 4” 1911s. I became convinced after several CCW qualification sessions. For all the reasons stated above, it’s the fastest way to be ready to take down a would be assailant.

Just the other day I watched a YouTube video where it was stressed the only safe way to carry a 1911 safely was one in the tube, with the hammer on half cock. He claimed it was just as fast to draw and cock the hammer as to flip the safety off. I couldn’t believe it.

Seems to me lowering the hammer with a round in the chamber is asking for trouble. If the hammer slips, you’ve got a ND.

·
Registered
332 Posts
EDC with an empty chamber defeats the purpose of a HANDgun. (Notice it is not a handsgun.)

A handgun is a reactive defensive weapon made to be operable by one hand.

Notice I said REACTIVE defensive weapon.

Somewhere on the net is a great video of a guy in a South American coutry losing his life when he was unable to charge the chamber. Wish I could find it.

·
Registered
12,223 Posts
I'm a 1911 guy and I carry my 1911s in C-1. Period. No question about it.

But for many years, there have been occasions -- rare, but nonetheless occasions -- where a 1911 didn't work with my attire. So I went without, but with regrets.

So a few years ago, I decided to do something about these rare occasions. My answer (FWIW) was a S&W Shield.

While I'm comfortable with this gun on the range, I'm also aware that it's a different manual of arms from a 1911.

Bottom line, end of story, given that (1) I rarely carry this gun and (2) it's an upgrade over previous circumstances of being unarmed in those rare occasions, and (3) it's a different manual of arms from the 1911 that I practice with, I decided to carry this gun without a round in the chamber. Obviously not the circumstance to be in event of a sudden thug attack, but in an overall sense, it is better than being wholly unarmed. Environment also come into play...these rare occasions for me involve pretty safe environments, recognizing of course that no place is absolutely safe.

If these exceptions were more frequent, I'd go a different route. No question about it. But I'm o.k. with what I've currently chosen as an improvement over those previous rare occasions when I couldn't carry my 1911 (and thus carried nothing).

A lot of thought went into this "rare exception" decision...it wasn't made naively. I know full well the reasons for C-1, and the real dangers of anything else. But with thousands of rounds of lifetime experience with the 1911 (virtually nothing else), a different manual of arms combined with a round in the chamber wasn't something I could get entirely comfortable with. (I chose a Shield without a manual safety, again part of the decision making... absolutely no reason for a manual safety with how I'm using the gun).

Someday I might buy a Wilson Sentinel. That would resolve these rare exceptions; but for now, there are other guns higher on my wish list.

I.e., I've recently given greater priority to heavier duty SD firearms as defensive preparation for possible societal breakdown risks...BLM, NFAC, Antifa, defunded police, Dems, etc. Only a blind person, maybe not even a blind person, could miss the brewing contagion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I carry my Sig P220 with a round in the chamber and use the decocker to lower the hammer. Was on Sigs site and the only P220 that they are still making is their Legion model, no more Nitron or carry models

·
Registered
55 Posts
For my EDC I have carried the Springfield XD, XDM, and XDS. Trigger safety plus a grip safety. I feel confident in drawing and holstering these weapons. Less chance of a ND with this system. I still check the holster before re-holstering and make sure the grip safety is not depressed during holstering. And yes, I always carry with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
836 Posts
So a few years ago, I decided to do something about these rare occasions. My answer (FWIW) was a S&W Shield.
You need to check out the Kimber Micro 9. I was going to an event where I was going to be wearing a coat and tie and didn't want to go unarmed, and I didn't really want to carry my normal DW ECO. So I ended up buying a Micro 9 from Buds for around $500. Wow! What a cool little mini 1911. It holds 7+1 rounds of 9mm, weighs less than 16 ounces, and is an accurate, great shooting little pistol. Just won a local BUG match with it shooting against lots of guys shooting Glocks. No grip safety, but I made a kydex AIWB holster and molded in a little ledge that fits up under the safety in the "ON" position to hold it in that position. I appendix carry cocked-and-locked. It is easy to forget you even have that pistol on you it's so small, thin and light.

·
Registered
12,223 Posts
^^^

Thank you F1:).

Your input is very sound...I just couldn't get comfortable with such downsized 1911s. Me, not the guns.

But the Shield did feel and work well for me, notwithstanding the somewhat different (striker fired) manual of arms. (Perfectly o.k. for range use, but for immediate, critical reflexive use, my entire lifetime practice/training is essentially all with 1911s...and the 1911's safety mechanisms.

Fortunately, the number of days each year that I'm in such circumstances is very few, probably zero since covid-19 arrived.

Someday maybe you can drop me a clue about your F1 favorite(s). I try to watch every race. Pretty familiar with history dating back to early 1960s... Clark, Hill, Surtees, etc.

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
I don't think he's wrong. Whatever floats your boat. I could live with that if I had to. You just rack the slide and you're ready to go. But, once you realize how safe the 1911 is, with a manual thumb safety, a half-cock safety, a grip safety, and some with a firing pin safety; and the rest with a solid firing pin spring, you realize how incredibly safe the design is. You don't need to carry with an empty chamber.
Agree with Brad, whatever works for a person...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Always chambered. I assume those who don’t carry that way have a lot of practice time in incorporating racking the slide into their draw so their body doesn’t just draw and try a trigger pull when it goes into autopilot in that SHTF moment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
depends

With round in chamber you are prepared for more situations. Perhaps the individual is content with being prepared for the limited amount of situations that may present. I don't get the emotional judgments people throw around. Keep panties on. The only thing others should be concerned about is that however they are carrying, they are trained to be safe with it. Otherwise, focus on your own choices.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts