1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If it's an old single action cowboy era revolver an empty chamber makes sense.
The so called Israeli carry is not as common over there as the internet would have you believe.

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
Interesting thread. Some will laugh at this old man but these are some of the reasons I have carried only S&W DA revolvers since 1986. I love to go to a match and compete with 1911s but for business use I still prefer a DA revolver.

·
Registered
12,223 Posts
Interesting thread. Some will laugh at this old man but these are some of the reasons I have carried only S&W DA revolvers since 1986. I love to go to a match and compete with 1911s but for business use I still prefer a DA revolver.
Nothing wrong with that, nothing laughable.

Very sound. Anyone who's carried the same type of gun for 30+ years surely knows that gun well. Also fewer things to potentially go wrong.

And just because this type of gun might not be the current flavor of the month doesn't mean there's anything insufficient about it.

Jerry Miculek can sure hit a lot of targets really fast with a wheel-gun. And re-load and fire again with astonishing speed.

·
Registered
23,009 Posts
My current carry is a S&W model 67 4"

In an El Paso Saddlery Sky six holster. Just about right in all respects if you ask me.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I carry safety off and chamber empty. It doesnt worry me or make me paranoid a bit. Quite the opposite actually.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No sir! I always have a round in the chamber when carrying. I don't want to take a chance that the first round will jam when chambering. With one in the pipe, at least I know I will get one round off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Saw a video on this very subject. It was a video from an actual convenience store hold up. The store owner felt that the lives of the thugs and crack heads who robbed him were more important than his life, or the lives of his children, who worked there, or other employees' lives, so while he carried, he did not have a round chambered,... or practiced.

So the place was robbed AGAIN and the store owner nearly threw his back out and dislocated his shoulder trying to get the pistol (Glock? Some sort of square plastic wonder, not a 1911 anyway) out of his pocket? IWB holster? Other? Out of where it was anyway. The crook was just standing there watching the dolt flopping around, jerking, staggering all over, and was going "WTH?! Is he having some sort of FIT OR WHAT?!" Finally the guy gets the pistol out, won't work! Finally gets the safety off, still won't work! Jumping around trying to rack the slide. Finally the crook just wonders over, in no great hurry, and pops the fool.

While that might have been funny in a movie, the guy was just killed on camera because he refused to practice, refused to have a round chambered, and pissed the guy off enough he finally got shot. The robber calmly takes the money and walks out. Lessons? Unloaded gun=no gun. Can't get at gun=no gun. Stupidity can not be cured. Stupidity=dead. If you piss someone off badly enough, and are stupid, they WILL shoot you.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So a few years ago, I decided to do something about these rare occasions. My answer (FWIW) was a S&W Shield.
You need to check out the Kimber Micro 9. I was going to an event where I was going to be wearing a coat and tie and didn't want to go unarmed, and I didn't really want to carry my normal DW ECO. So I ended up buying a Micro 9 from Buds for around $500. Wow! What a cool little mini 1911. It holds 7+1 rounds of 9mm, weighs less than 16 ounces, and is an accurate, great shooting little pistol. Just won a local BUG match with it shooting against lots of guys shooting Glocks. No grip safety, but I made a kydex AIWB holster and molded in a little ledge that fits up under the safety in the "ON" position to hold it in that position. I appendix carry cocked-and-locked. It is easy to forget you even have that pistol on you it's so small, thin and light.

Ha. You actually suggested the very gun that swore me off Kimber for life. Not so much the failed repeated trips to Kimber, but more they way CS treated me.

For all the rest of you who took the time to give your, thoughts...thank you, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
No....1911's are meant to be carried locked and loaded.....PERIOD!

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
NGs are a concern for guns equipped w/ "safe triggers", especially for the untrained.

My 1911s are always carried in Condition-1.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I even carry my SAA cocked, it has a 5# trigger pull just like a Glock. I do get some funny looks at the store tho.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Different strokes for different folks I guess. But logically an ND is a negligent discharge. The only time you're risking that is in the comfort of your own home with plenty of time on your hands to not be negligent. In a self defense scenario well you draw your weapon somebody is about to die so ND is not really a concern. The only other concern is an AD due to a catastrophic malfunction of the gun itself I guess it's possible with any gun but in the case of a well maintained glock it is highly improbable. The only time I would consider an empty chamber with my glock is if I need to carry it not in the holster like in the back of the pants or in a pack for whatever reason.

·
Premium Member
3,659 Posts
I would never think of leaving the chamber empty. Depending on which mag I'm using, keeping one "in the pipe" has always been my philosophy. It's an extra round if ever needed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just recently started carrying and have been working on best practices to ensure I do it safely. I carry a P365 in a Nemesis pocket holster. So I was practicing not put anything else in the same pocket with the pistol, finding clothing that minimized printing, and verifying that I could draw without the holster coming out with the pistol. As a newbie to carrying I was very concerned about a negligent discharge during this period so I kept the chamber empty even though I was aware this was not generally considered to be a good practice.

Recently I was at the range to verify function and point of impact with my new carry load. When I racked the slide to chamber a round the pistol locked up hard. I've never experienced this with my other, full sized, pistols. I had to drop the mag and load from slide lock to restore function. Small slide & grip and very stiff springs make it very difficult to for me to load the P365 by racking the slide even in a no-stress situation. So now it is 10+1, cocked and locked (mine has the thumb safety).

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
Empty-chamber carry is like thumb-cocking your revolver with the off hand; how do you know you'll have both hands available?
The Israelis adopted empty chamber carry for consistency in training; they have so many different guns, with different action types, and so many people of varying experience and skill level carrying, that draw-rack-shoot was adopted as standard for all auto pistols. In that context, it's not a bad plan.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Just recently started carrying and have been working on best practices to ensure I do it safely. I carry a P365 in a Nemesis pocket holster. So I was practicing not put anything else in the same pocket with the pistol, finding clothing that minimized printing, and verifying that I could draw without the holster coming out with the pistol. As a newbie to carrying I was very concerned about a negligent discharge during this period so I kept the chamber empty even though I was aware this was not generally considered to be a good practice.

Recently I was at the range to verify function and point of impact with my new carry load. When I racked the slide to chamber a round the pistol locked up hard. I've never experienced this with my other, full sized, pistols. I had to drop the mag and load from slide lock to restore function. Small slide & grip and very stiff springs make it very difficult to for me to load the P365 by racking the slide even in a no-stress situation. So now it is 10+1, cocked and locked (mine has the thumb safety).
As a fellow P365 carrier, it is a bit scary carrying this gun loaded in a soft holster such as the nemesis. Depending on which pocket you carry, imagine leaning against something. For example, you have it in the back pocket and you sit down on a porch step or something where the edge of the hard surface just happens to be where the trigger starts.. soft side holster gives up to your body weight and bang.

Good to know you're keeping the carry pocket clear, because a knife, light, keys etc - all can do the same thing to a trigger.

So far in my limited research, I haven't heard of a ND with this gun. But like you, I carried it for a couple weeks empty to verify it's function.

As for your hard to rack / locked up slide - a fully loaded mag in the 365 is pushing so hard against the slide bottom, it feels like it's locked. The trick is to load them 1 round short, and problem solved.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My "fear" of carrying unloaded - any auto I've ever had or held, has an ejector. If you "casually" rack the slide and ease it into battery, the ejector will keep the action from going into FULL battery. So - carrying empty, and suddenly you need to use your weapon, you reach to rack it and you don't get a full pull on it or it's not a snappy release and bam... gun out of battery because the ejector didn't let it.

So there's that...

41 - 60 of 82 Posts