1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a USGI style short knurled or checkered trigger with a steel bow and Aluminum shoe?

I like the traditional USGI look of the 1911A1, but would like the benefit of a lighter trigger, and maybe an overtravel stop.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do not think there is a market for it. Most USGI pistols are preferably left unmodified. Those that do get modified usually get tricked out with new parts and the owner has decided they do not want use the orginal USGI parts.

The weight of a standard Colt repo series 70 trigger is 172gr. (at least the one I recently sold did)
A stamped USGI trigger weights in at 148.2gr.
With a standard match style aluminum trigger with a normal trigger bow that I had laying on the bench weighed in at 123.9gr.

The main reason for using a light trigger is to prevent trigger bounce from recoil on a light trigger pull. I am in the process of building a series 70 repo into a USGI clone of sorts. Of course the markings will give it away to what it really is though most of the small parts will be USGI. My goal is a trigger pull around 4.5lbs and I see zero issues using the USGI trigger with this weight in mind.

If you want a short style trigger you will find that more and more manufactures are making them only they are serrated or smooth verses cross pattered checked.

If you want a USGI trigger you just need to keep your eyes open and look around.
One place to consider looking is http://www.1911partsplus.com
Good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the main reason for using a light trigger is to prevent trigger bounce from recoil on a light trigger pull, at what pull weight does one need to be concerned about a 148.2 gr USGI trigger?

I've already replaced and tuned the trigger on my GI. I don't recall the pull weight I achieved exactly, but it was less than four pounds--three pounds and change. No problem with the GI trigger, so I think it should work fine with the C&S trigger.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Most matches will not allow you to go below 3.5 lbs. Kuhnhausen recommends that at the lightest you should go. I think have having the ability to adjust over travel would be worthwhile. I always like Videki aluminum triggers. However, I noticed that Brownells carries a variety of different mfgrs, so pick whatever suits you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cylinder & Slide produces an aluminum short trigger: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=511503
Hmm . . . it's not checkered/knurled or serrated, but I could blast the shoe and use Gray-Black Moly Resin to give make it look more like a GI trigger. It would also give me an all C&S fire control group, FWIW.

Based on the responses so far, particularly shootsenmeister's, I think I'll stick with my USGI trigger for now.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
The triggers normally wear on the sides where they rub the receiver, so any built up finish is really going to rub, and possibly affect trigger pull.
The early Springfield Armory NM pistols used the standard GI trigger, and the armorers squeezed quite a bit of accuracy out of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts