1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of y'all remember an article several years ago, done by a professional gun writer, that was a torture test of three 1911's? Included in that were a Rock, and I believe, a Kimber and Colt. The pistols were packed in mud, driven over, submerged under water (and fired), etc., etc. It was an interesting read. And one of those "kids, don't try this at home" things. The Rock performed beautifully. I've often thought of this article when people ask about the overall quality and function of the Rock Island pistols. I wish I could find the google reference to this article again but no luck.

Dave

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't know what magazine issue the article was in, but it's in Patrick Sweeney's book, 'The Gun Digest Book of the 1911 Volume 2.'

It looks like he may have used a Rock Island and a Charles Daly, among others.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Cappi, He mentions a change in feed ramp dimensions on Rock 1911s recently... Anyone know of anything like this? mine shoots everything flawlessly... Not concerned about it, but i'm wondering if his "I no longer recommend Rock island 1911's" story has any credibility...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Can any of y'all remember an article several years ago, done by a professional gun writer, that was a torture test of three 1911's? Included in that were a Rock, and I believe, a Kimber and Colt. The pistols were packed in mud, driven over, submerged under water (and fired), etc., etc. It was an interesting read. And one of those "kids, don't try this at home" things. The Rock performed beautifully. I've often thought of this article when people ask about the overall quality and function of the Rock Island pistols. I wish I could find the google reference to this article again but no luck.

Dave
I'd like to see this if anyone finds it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The reference to Sweeney's torture-test does indeed appear in his book The 1911 - The First 100 Years, along with his mention of some 'smith's reluctance to work on them due to the hardness of the steel. Oddly (or maybe not), after a full-on Google search I could find no reference to Sweeney mentioning anything about not recommending Rocks for any reason. I'm not sure why the feed-ramp dimensions would cause a blanket condemnation anyway since I think we all know the newly-built guns still work without difficulty (except for early 10mm's). Could it be a false-grenade tossed by one of those folds who burn candles to a picture of Sam Colt every night? If anyone has documentation I'd sure like to see it, but until then my opinion of Sweeney's opinion of Rocks remains the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts