1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As mentioned in some other posts, I'm going to get a plain-jane 1911 and have a 'smith fix it up later. Does anyone shoot 1911s plain-Jane here or do y'all have all of them fixed up?

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Colt 1991 A1,Colt Series 70 Combat Commander-.45&9mm,Colt Sistema(great $300.00 shooter),Colt Series 70 Govt. Model,Colt Series 80 Govt. Model,Colt Delta Elite.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main concern here is messing up the girly webbing between my girly thumb and girly index finger! Owie!!! *bleed* *bleed*

Is the only way to prevent 1911 hands is get a beavertail grip safety?

BTW can a 'smith put Novaks on a plain-jane slide or will I have to buy a new slide?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Most are as stock as a stove. One Norinco has MMC sights, a true beaver tail* GS and extended thumb safety. The rest don't even have those additions.

* Beaver tails are broad and flat not up swept like a duck's butt.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
75 Posts
All stock - I'd just be throwing money away if I had anything done to them! They are accurate enough stock for my eyes.

MD

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
BTW can a 'smith put Novaks on a plain-jane slide or will I have to buy a new slide?
No big deal to have your current slide milled for Novaks.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Springfield Mil-Spec. I only plan to do two things: replace the black grips with brown ones (to give it more of a WWII look), and replace the ILS with a standard arched mainspring housing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Colt Govt MK IV Series 80 45acp. It is stock except for some higher profile sights and a Pachmayr Signature wrap-around grip.

·
Administrator
72,143 Posts
Most of mine are GI, so they are as mil-spec as it gets.

Regarding hammer bite, my WW2 Colts with the short wide-spur hammer don't bite me. But the others do. I noticed the contract guns have slightly shorter frame tangs on each side of the grip safety, which I presume allows more skin to ride up and into the path of the hammer during recoil.

I can shoot just fine with the later issue sights, but fast shooting with the older U-notch is next to impossible.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
That's whats so great about the newer 1991A1's and the 2001 SA milspec. Nothing "has" to be done to them. They are already reliable and accurate from the factory in most cases.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A 1917-vintage Colt's 1911 and a 1991-vintage Colt's Series/80 STS Combat Commander make up my inventory of 1911-type pistols. Never have felt any need to change either one of them.

·
Registered
21,734 Posts
Skunk,

I am not subject to hammer bite from even an original 1911, and my carry Commander has a regular grip safety. True, it is a 1911A1 grip safety to go with the spur hammer, put on in the days when we carried our guns in Condition 2. On most other guns I use beavertails to spread the recoil and guide my hand on the draw. Small improvements, but reasonable for an otherwise "fixed up" gun.

There are Novak sights that fit the standard dovetail, also King and MGW that give good sight pictures. I think it is plumb silly to spend a hundred bucks remachining the back end of a slide to take somebody's proprietary fixed sight. You are out money better spent on other parts (or ammo) and if you don't like it you are out of luck. I do think the front dovetail is worth the trouble and expense, but a well staked front will stay there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Plain-Jane Colt 1991A1 except for the grips.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I learn on 1911A1 colt. Have colt series 70, SA Mil-Spec, two 1917 Smiths. No mods..They are all great shooters..The 17's were the first guns I could afford and accurate even as plain as they are..

·
Registered
162 Posts
50 years ago I was givin a .45 USGI 1914 Colt Government Model. It has always been a shooter and still is. Over the years I have replaced a few parts as needed with non original parts. It still can do better than I can and is used for stock pins. "Plain janes" do fine. I also have an open .45 custom double stack.

Dean

·
Registered
26 Posts
Who's Jane, and why would I want to shoot her? Because she's plain?

Seriously, I have a SA Mil-Spec 1911A1 that I keep in original configuration (except I did change to wood grips). Personally, I like the "USGI" look more that the custom look.

Still, I might get a second one with all the bells and whistles just for variety.

LL

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it's accurate and reliable, I try not to 'fix what isn't broke.' Plain-jane, USGI style, sharp edges and black-on-black sights and all is the way to go for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts