1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use the 22 conversion kit made by Kimber, or any 1911 conversion kit chambered in 22 cal?

I have been thinking about getting a 22 conversion kit for my wife to shoot, should she decide to do so. I can't decide whether to get a conversion kit for my 1911 or my Glock. Any feed back would be appreciated.

------------------
Hero45
NRA Member

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have the Wilson adjustable sight conversion unit and I am very happy with it.

The Ciener unit I bought for my Glock 19 has been less satisfactory; about 1 light strike every 25-30 rounds, no matter what ammo I used. Getting it off the gun was a major ordeal and I am hesistant to put it back on.

------------------
Claude
<A HREF="http://www.shooterscoach.com" TARGET=_blank>
Click here to improve your shooting</A>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go to page two of this section and you will see the headline of Platinum Conversion. There is some good info there about the conversions on the market.

I purchased the Ciener Platinum and aside from some slight tuning of the extractor, the extractor was hitting the barrel cutout and not allowing proper lockup, so I filed some material off.. it runs like a raped ape..

I would not be afraid of it at all..

Oh, and I run it on a Eclipse Pro, and I bought it from Ciener and saved myself some bucks instead of purchasing from Kimber.. the units are the same..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey n8loi
Glad to hear you got the 22 cal conversion to run.

Are you noticing any undue wear on the aluminum slide from running on the stainless stl frame?

My rear sight on the Kimber unit gave up the ghost this AM so now I'm going to Bo-mar

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cobra --

Greetings. . . i was quite happy with myself getting that slide to finally run well... it took me a while to figure it out, and with the red paint marking techniques that you spoke of, that did the trick. I was able to identify what material to trim off the extractor to give proper lock up.. and thus give a proper indent of the firing pin. Once I have good ignition and a good cycle, everything is in perfect harmony. I have switched to Rem. Thunderbolt ammo, saving some money from the Rem. Golden -- it sure is fun to shoot... a lot of fun..

I haven't seen any unusual wear on the slide and quite frankly, i'm expecting some, since I don't think it's settled in yet... I keep it well lubed though, and maybe that helps... the Aluminum seems to be good stuff, but the fininsh is going to take a beating over the life of the slide.. i can see that already -- it sure isn't the same as stainless -- i've never been one to baby my equipment, i tend to really beat it up.. I 've learned bad habits from military living.

It's too bad the damn slide doesn't lock back on the last round -- that's the only bummer...

Oh, and what's up with Kimber and those ****ty, Meprolight sights... I just can't beleive it.. they must have signed a hell of a contract with Meprolight. I'm just waiting for mine to bite it..

How's the healing process ?? I see your still kicking..

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Have the Kimber conversion. Only used it twice.

Worked perfectly. Easy and fast to install.
Shot pretty close to point of aim right out of the box, I didn't even adjust the sights.

Lot's of fun, cheap to shoot.

The black finish isn't as good as the one on their guns, but overall it looks real good on my Kimber stainless frame, a two-tone look.

Only complaint is that it's expensive. For the money, now I wish I'd gotten the Bob Marvel unit from Nebraska. They are more accurate, and finished nicer, for about $25 more.

If you want cheaper, get the Ciener standard unit. The adjustable sights that came on it are not very good quality. The back notch is very shallow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
MARVEL...MARVEL...MARVEL...or see marvel.com

Bought this .22 conversion unit for my Kimber CT 4 months ago. JOY to shoot. accurate, will function with anything I have used. i.e. no FTF, no FTE on either hollow points or solids. Slightly more expensive, more than pays for itself with NO aggravation!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two 22 conversions kit from kimber. I have the stainless and blue. I have shot about 3,000 round on each slide with no problems, I use Winchester copper super x. The winchester wildcat 22 work great also but they are lead bullets. The slides will work with the 5" and 4" kimbers. John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts