1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I am wasting my time sorting my brass by manufacturer. Has anybody loaded a batch of misc brass and then compared it to a batch of same headstamp loads?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes I have done that with no significant difference between the two lots. But, I was using them for casual practice, not competition.

Some match shooters like to stay with the same mfg for their practice brass as their competition brass. They say the slight differences between their competition brass and other mfg brass throws them off during practice.

If you don't shoot competition, and you intend to use the brass for practice, then you shouldn't have to worry about using a mixed bag. I've been doing that for years without a worry.

[This message has been edited by feedramp (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
If you can notice an accuracy change simply by swithing brass brands, then you are the BEST SHOOTER IN THE WORLD!

Assuming that all other reloading functions are consistent and uniform, changing brass only will not affect accuracy in a handgun.

Match grade benchrest rifles - MAYBE. Handguns - fuhgedaboudit.

·
Registered
550 Posts
In match grade rifles, sorting brass provides perhaps one to two minute of angle improvement in ammunition consistency. In the .45, if it makes that much difference, which I doubt, that would be 1/4 to 1/2 inch at 25 yards.

I wish I had back all the time I spent sorting .45 brass over the years before I learned better.

·
Super Moderator
7,624 Posts
The top dogs in Bullseye will sort brass and stick with a brand and lot. But to the other 99% of us, it makes no difference.

For accuracy, I have found no real difference at 25 yards. Velocity wise I have found a big difference. Internal case capacity is my guess.

For big IPSC matches, I will use the same brand (once fired) to avoid any surprises at the chrono. Unless it’s a Paul Miller lost brass match, then I take all my crap brass and Blazer I have collected.

The only sorting I do is to throw away all AMERC brass.

Rifle on the other hand...

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree with Tom Junk the amerc. I have not noticed any change in loading with different brass for accuracy, but I have noticed some change in OAL especially with PMC Brass

1 - 6 of 6 Posts