1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched this subject and have no answer.

The magazines that came with my TRS look identical to the Wilson magazines but for one detail. The sides of the Baers are solid sheet metal where Wilsons have the index slot cut-outs.

Anyone have the answer? Jim?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hummmmmmmmmm... I suppose I didn't ask my question correctly.

In other words, does anyone know if Wilson manufacture Les Baer magazines for them; if a subcontractor manufactures them (and if so who?); or does Les Baer actually manufacture their own?

Thanks, should the answer be known.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pete45,

Well, while I don't work for LB, I belive the current Baer mags are indeed manufactured by Wilson. My second .45 was a LB SRP I ordered about 3 years ago.

My first encounter w/ Baer was an article in Custom Combat Handguns Annual regarding a Baer Custom Carry available only through a particular distributor (can't recall the name).

Anyway, I examined the photos in the article to the most minute detail and decided I had to have one. I decided on the SRP and when the gun arrived I noticed the mags were like a brushed stainless steel and were much different from the magazines displayed in the article.

The mags in the article were black teflon coated, higher quality and even numbered (engraved) on the bottom of the magazine floor plate.

I was a little disappointed, so I took to searching for the origin of these mags. I looked at every brand. McCormicks, Wilsons, Mec-Gar, Colt, Metalform, etc, etc. The only mags that remotely resemble the Baers are Wilsons and the followers appear to be identical.

Thus, I think it's safe to say that Baer's mags are infact produced by Wilson. I can assure you of one thing, Baer does not make their own mags, nor any other part of their pistols as far as I can determine. This is not to say they lack quality. Baer just sources all of their components from other suppliers.

p.s. If you're considering buying more mags, I can tell you from personal experience with my SRP that the best mags for my money are either Metalforms or McCormicks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am not positive about this, but I think Wilson and Baer get there magazines from the same outside source.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
71 Posts
All three of my Les Baer mags are very similar to all of my Wilson mags. The Wilson mags have a long vertical slot on both sides.The Les Baer Mags have witness holes on both sides. Followers and rest of the construction look the same to me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The plastic base pads on my Baer magazines break, and Wilson metal replacement pads do NOT fit Baer magazines.

------------------
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stanmog,

I like the thin metal base pads on Wilson mags so I bent the thin metal locking plate up the forward part of it and use this in my Les Baer mags. Just slightly. This will of course prevent the locking plate from slipping forward. Works fine. I don't see the point of the thick pads anyway. They just add to the visibility of a carry gun.

If you use a firm push when seating mags with the thin Wilson pads, you'll have no problem getting a proper lockup of the mag.

[This message has been edited by martyu (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I talked to Mr. Baer about my 10mm Monolith about 2 weeks ago and he said that Metalform made the magazines for him in 10/40.

Hope this helps.

------------------
10mm and 357 Sig; the best things since the 38 Super!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts