1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to replace some standard ejectors on some Colts with extended ejectors. Will it require fitting or shaping the angle on the face of them, or is it an easy swap?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Your answer is yes, no, and/or maybe :eek: .

Sorry :biglaugh: , depending on the size and shape of your ejection port you may be able to just 'drop' one in or you could possibly need to adjust the nose.

I just tried an extended Brown ejector in a Springfield with a narrow ejection port and it destroyed my brass.

This is definitely a 'your mileage may vary' question.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you don`t mind I`ll add to your ejector question so we can all get smart.
If an extended ejector is added to a gun wih a standard one, should it be trimmed to the same dimensions as the original? Gun has never "smokestacked" a round, So, if it is changed, trim the extended to the same size, or leave it as the shape it comes? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hi, Steve,

OK, stupid question. What is the problem looking for a solution?

Replacing the ejector involves nothing more than driving out a pin, then pulling out and replacing the ejector and driving the pin back in. Five minutes or less.

But if you have no problem or any reason to go to an extended ejector, why do it? You may only be taking a good gun and messing it up by trying to solve a non-existent problem.

Jim

·
Registered
262 Posts
not trying to be a wise ass here, but regarding Greg D.'s quetion - if you install an extended ejector and trim it to the shape (i.e. length) of the original, i don't think you've done anything but swap out a part for what is now its twin. Only reason to do this is if the original ejector is substandard metal (i've seen this on cheap Century Arms 1911 clones).

Only reason to install an extended ejector (as I understand it) is to resolve some ejection problem after you've looked at other less invasive fixes like tensioning your extractor, and perhaps before doing more drastic changes like (additional) lowering of the ejection port. Installing an extended ejector into a gun that works okay probably won't do anything besides:
1) produce ejection problems
2) prevent you from easily ejecting live rounds

my $.02.

Jared

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not taken as a wise ass reply. Basically you are correct. If replacing an MIM ejector with a non MIM that would be the situation I had in mind. Thaks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought that an extended ejector, combined with a lowered and flared ejection port, is supposed to be more reliable. Is this not true?

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts