1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my LGS today and saw several redhawks for mid 4's in great condition. So I'm looking on GB and AA for redhawks,, not super redhawks, to see what they are going for and don't see many, if any. The ones I'm looking at are the standard redhawk with a 5.5 barrel. Looking at rugers website I don't even see them, only the super redhawk? I have a scoped super redhawk for hunting, and wanted one similar for informal plinking and as a back-up woods gun. Just curious is all.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
According to the guys on rugerforum.net a few days ago, Ruger has pulled them from the site because they will not be produced again until sometime next year. Sounds odd to me, but several guys there claimed to have called Ruger and been given information to that affect.

May have something to do with moving into the new factory?

If you want one though I'd go back to your LGS and get one. Don't wait around and hope Ruger follows through on that rumor.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been on my list for awhile. I like my super redhawk for function, but really want a more traditional revolver in 44 for carry and plinking, but not so traditional as to be an SA as in the Blackhawks if that makes any sense. 5.5 is perfect for me. Could hunt with it, not to cumbersome, could carry it with appropriate gear ect..... Just thought it was odd that it wasn't on the Ruger website. Thanks for the scoop though man.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
According to the guys on rugerforum.net a few days ago, Ruger has pulled them from the site because they will not be produced again until sometime next year. Sounds odd to me, but several guys there claimed to have called Ruger and been given information to that affect.

May have something to do with moving into the new factory?

If you want one though I'd go back to your LGS and get one. Don't wait around and hope Ruger follows through on that rumor.

May have something to do with them gearing up for a huge run on new (and yet introduced) models as they recently patented two new names. One is for a new type of LCR. Wait for the SHOT Show.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It's been on my list for awhile. I like my super redhawk for function, but really want a more traditional revolver in 44 for carry and plinking, but not so traditional as to be an SA as in the Blackhawks if that makes any sense. 5.5 is perfect for me. Could hunt with it, not to cumbersome, could carry it with appropriate gear ect..... Just thought it was odd that it wasn't on the Ruger website. Thanks for the scoop though man.
Makes perfect sense. Regular Redhawks, especially in 5.5" are rare as hens teeth around here. I've seen a couple 4" models and one .357 model that I could kick myself for not putting on the credit card.

The 5.5" is definitely near the top of my list. Just can't pay gunbroker prices for one.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
May have something to do with them gearing up for a huge run on new (and yet introduced) models as they recently patented two new names. One is for a new type of LCR. Wait for the SHOT Show.
Any details on that one? I've got a decent Christmas budget for a new gun so I was planning on buying another LCR .357 or an sp101....or whatever else pops up in that price range first ha.

I would hold off for SHOT but you know Ruger, they'll either sneak it out the week before or they won't get it on the market for 6-9 months after SHOT.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Their CEO said in July they have a lot of catching up to do on the Reds with the new factory.
Production suspended till then.
Not gone.

You note they did essentially the same thing with the shotgun & it's back.
Denis

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Double-checked for an update, email just now from my contact at Ruger, the Red "is not dead, it is on vacation for an unknown period of time." :)
Denis

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
A Redhawk in 5.5 is a nicely balanced and solid gun. The actions can be slicked up nicely too.

I've had three in .44 Mag, all 5.5". My first was a used, blued model that had a really good DA pull on. Light and smooth. SA was good too. Using my then standard mid-range load with a Keith type 250 grain hardcast bullet I could run falling plates in DA mode nicely with it. I traded it off for a stainless model because I was on orders for Alaska and at the time SS sounded like a better idea.

Didn't work out. The SS model I had would drag the primers of my reloads on two chambers. Even being extra careful with seating the primers, the gun would bind in the same place. I traded it off before I ever left for Alaska. I already had a S&W M29-2 6.5" at the time and a Marlin .44 Mag 1894.

The last one, a blued model, I picked up a few years back down here in Texas. By now I'd crossed the half century mark and as much as I liked it, these days it just seemed too heavy compared to other things. I find I like my guns slightly lighter these days.

I always prefered the older style grips that were similar to the Security Six grips. I never have cared for the rubber with insert type.

That's my normal, long winded way of saying. If you want one in 5.5" and can find one now, BUY IT!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I bought the regular style Redhawk a few months ago for $500 at a local gun shop. I only shot a box of FMJ through it. I need to pick up a holster for it, once I get a holster I'll use it as a carry gun while out in the woods. I need a holster for my SP101 - 327 mag as well.

Ruger has some of the best revolvers on the market, with the Redhawks, GP100s and the SP101.

As far as the LC line I wouldn't give you a wooden nichol for any of them, just my personal view of them.

The Blackhawks are OK if you like single-action. I had the whole line of them and sold them all and have been buying GP100s, SP101s, one Redhawk so far. I want to pick up a Redhawk in 41mag.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I bought a .44 mag 5.5 incher in stainless back in 1987. It's been a workhouse, has killed a pile of deer and runs like a clock.

I bought it when a M29 melted down on me after about 500 rounds. The Redhawk has never missed a beat and probably has about 7,000 rounds through it. While that sounds like a low round count....every one of em has been a full bought 44.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts