1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I went to the STI page and checked out their wares. I have always liked the looks of their HiCap frames and wanted to see if they had a Commander size model available.
It seems that they have the VIP, which is a bit shorter, and they have the Tactical, which is almost Commander size. The problem with the Tactical, in my eyes, is that it has that full length frame with an integrated rail for a light. It doesn't have a traditional look of the Eagle or other 1911's.
Does anyone know if they offer a Commander size (or close to it) that has a traditional looking frame like the tried and true 1911? I would sure like to have one chambered in 38 Super, 40S&W or something different.
Just curious. What do you think?

Nala

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Until recently, they had a model called the Viper which had the same grip as a VIP but with a 4.15" barrel instead of the 3.9" of the VIP. It was available in .45 ACP only. The model has just been discontinuted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm getting ready to build one in 40 S&W now. I want it to use for CCW matches and night matches at the club I shoot in.

We've also been discussing this concept over at BrianEnos.com and it seems to be a rather popular idea. Gunsmith Benny Hill (triangleshootingsports.com) has already built a couple of these for customers. I just saw a 40 on gunbroker a couple of weeks ago, but didn't have the $$$ at the time.

I had a hard time finding ramped 40 barrels in commander length, but ran into the Schuemann.com web site. They sell commander length, ramped or unramped, bull or bushing, all at reasonable prices for an A1 quality barrel.

Marvin

·
Registered
84 Posts
sti commander

If you can find a hawk 4.3 used somewhere it is about commander as it gets.The hawk is also discontinued.The 10round mags are $65 ea. which is a little much.Good luck finding what you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts