1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Just a question. Is the rear base of the safety--the one opposite the pin--contoured already? I couldn't seem to get any close-up pics of an unmodified EB safety.

From faraway pics I've seen, it appears that it will dig into my thumb just like my stock Kimber thumb safety. From the pics I've seen, the CMC and Wilson thumb safety appears nicely contoured at the base. But I prefer the shape of the EB.

My main concern is that I can use it comfortably without the rear base of the safety digging into my right thumb joint.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
535 Posts
1st of all I am no 'smith...

I have had a similar issue with discomfort but the first thing that comes to mind in a way of offering suggestions is whether you are dealing with a Stainless or blued thumb safety.

I have only messed with stainless which negates the refinishing/rebluing for the most part.

I had/have a Thumb safety by STI which replaced a CMC and it seemed to irritate the same area you are describing. I have done some mild dehorning to the underside and along the edge to produce a little less edge and expect it to help as it is much less pronounced but looks pretty much unchanged.

All that aside there are a few different patterns out there and EB offers different models and widths themselves so I may not be at all familiar with what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
G. Freeman said:
Hi Guys,
Just a question. Is the rear base of the safety--the one opposite the pin--contoured already? I couldn't seem to get any close-up pics of an unmodified EB safety.

Thanks in advance.
No. I dehorned mine.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, unfortunately, I needed a blued one. I have no problems w/ dehorning the edge, but have no interest in sending the part out to be reblued. It's for my new MC operator. If I used a stainless one, the gun would just look too funky with a black slide, green frame, stainless thumb safety.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
These Gunsite Low Mount Thumb Safties solved all the discomfort problems I had with all others - :)

Works for me.

:D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The Ed Brown thumb safetys all have a sharp, square corner where your thumb knuckle contacts. If you want a safety that's radiused and smoothed there out of the bag, look at a Wilson 6BN.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have used Ed Brown's pretty much exclusively from many years now. There is enough meat to be able to blend it for any application I wish and there hasn't been a hand I haven't been able to fit it to and make it look like it belongs there.
If one is looking for a drop in part though, it's probably best to look elsewhere.

Don

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the responses. You answered my question very clearly. I do know how to fit a thumb safety properly. Will likely go with a Wilson or Les Baer.

Again, many thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts