1911Forum banner

Does This Gun Exist?

2682 Views 25 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  smince
I want a loaded 1911 .45 that is a true DA/SA, not like para's LDA, and that has a decocker, and the dove tail safety. I have looked and talked all around and haven't been able to find it. Does anyone know if this gun exist?? If so who makes it? and is it a good gun?

thanks for your help
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Try a CZ 97. Probably as close as you will find in a current production firearm. It is DA/SA and can be cocked and locked if you like. No grip safety (dove tail safety?). Witness 45 is very similar, but I think fit and finish is superior on the CZ 97.

CZ's are fine pistols, and I have not heard any negatives on the 97's. I wish they would put one out in 10mm.

Herman

· Registered
68 Posts
There was one company during the late 70's early 80's that made DA conversions to the 1911 and still keeping the grip safety but I don't think they had a decocker. The companies name was (is) Seecamp, they do not do the conversions anymore but they do produce some very nice .32. You used to be able to get the parts to do the conversion yourself from a company called ODI Viking but I think they are long out of business.

· Registered
275 Posts
I don't think a smith could do such a conversion, as someone has to engineer and make parts to retrofit a standard frame. I'd think it'd be easier to modify a LDA to SA/DA since the DA trigger is already designed...

But what you're asking for is SOO far out of bounds as to what a 1911 is, it'd be a whole other pistol. Why not go with a sig 220? No grip safety, but none is really needed with a DA pistol. (some will argue that none is needed period, but that's another discussion)

Someone also suggested the CZ97, or Witness .45 Both are SA/DA, but without decockers, they have manual safeties.

Edited to add, Springfield is coming out with a new XD that is 13+1 of .45acp has a grip safety and a trigger safety (like a glock) That may be an option.

· Registered
79 Posts
lost_philologis said:
I want a loaded 1911 .45 that is a true DA/SA, not like para's LDA, and that has a decocker, and the dove tail safety. I have looked and talked all around and haven't been able to find it. Does anyone know if this gun exist?? If so who makes it? and is it a good gun?

thanks for your help
H&K USP .45 - not a 1911, and no grip safety, but all the other features you are seeking, and a great gun to boot.

Matt

· Registered
273 Posts
The Taurus Beretta-style has a decocker and safety to carry cocked and locked. Not sure if they make a .45 though. And as mentioned the USP. It is one of the reasons I bought a USPc .40. I like the idea of cocked and locked.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love the 1911 styling, the feel in the hand. I grew up on the 1911 and am not unhappy with the classic SA only. I am now in the Marines however and have come to appreciate the DA/SA.

This question would probably be better for a different forum but. Has anyone ever experienced any problem with thumb break holsters taking their 1911 off safe? This happens every time I holster my M9... no biggy as it is a DA/SA but on a 1911 this could be dangerous when you go to draw if you are in a hurry.

· Registered
585 Posts
lost_philologis said:
outstanding...

next questions... I've heard a lot of bad things about colt's autos lately... is the double eagle any good... does anyone know how it would compare to a springfield loaded? or even a milspec?
It was not well advertised from what I recall. In fact the only reason I knew about them was a buddy at my first duty station in the AF had one. He was an AF Security Policeman and really liked it, though I don't think I ever shot it. A quick search at gunsamerica showed me this on the first try.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976502501.htm

$895 is a lot for a gun that old IMO, but who knows w/o looking in a value book. They also call it a first edition... I have no idea what the differences are in first, versus follow-on models.

EDIT: there are 10 for sale listed there now... prices vary of course. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.