1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have seen several pics of Wilsons with the Bobtail treatment on the frame. I went to the website to see if they had it listed and I couldn't find it. I thought the Bobtail thing was a Brown trademark and was not being used by any others.
Is wilson liscensing the Bobtail from Brown or are the Wilsons with the Bobtail done by aftermarket sources?
What's the scoop?

Nala

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
N:
The scoop is that anyone can bobtail their Government pistol frame using the jig (which Brown sells). It is not a "Brown" trademark as I have heard others were doing it before they were. In fact, some members here in the 1911forum have even bobtailed their own pistols themselves. If you want Wilson to Bobtail your Government Framed pistol, just provide them with the jig and a bobtail mainspring housing ($102.45 to $115.45 retail from Brown with shipping). Refinishing the frame will cost you extra if you opt for Wilson to do it. Wilson Combat does not offer this as a factory option on any of their pistol lines.

·
Registered
383 Posts
would you know if i send my Wilson to a high end gunsmith to get bobtailed, Will wilson voild my warrenty ?
Does Wilson offer a bobtail mod in there custom shop ? Has anyone sent there gun to Wilson to get bobtailed ?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
PHB2002:
Wilson will not warrant the parts (i.e. Bobtail Mainspring Housing), or anything related to the conversion (portion of the frame where the bobtail conversion was completed). Other than that...your warranty will remain in effect. As for Wilson bobtail conversions, we have had several of them done through the Custom Shop, and I must say that they do a fantastic job! Again...bobtailing is not offered as a factory option on any of their pistols. However, if you want to provide the parts and bobtail jig...they will do the job for you for a negotiated price which will include the cost of the conversion and refinishing the frame (if so desired).

·
Super Moderator
13,424 Posts
Nala:
Any competent pistolsmith can bobtailed your pistol, doesn't have to go back to Wilson. The only complication is the Armor Tuff finish that will have to be redone, if your pistol has this finish.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If wilson does the work and 20,000 rounds later my frame cracks- they will repair it under warrenty right ?
They is my pet peeve. I hate voiding warrenties.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty sure Wilson would do a bobtail conversion for ya.......if the price was right.

Course I'm NOT speaking from experience. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
PH2002:
If you crack the frame along the cut for the conversion...then you are out of luck. If the dust cover cracks in two and falls off...your covered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts