1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadnt thought about this until i was reading some postings on this board, and some one mentiond that not all places of employment allow you to carry,

i work for Radio Shack, and apon reading this looked at the answers book for employies, and if they dont say that its no allowed.

"Team members and visitors are prohibited from bringin firearms, concealed or unconcealed, onto Company premises or in a Company vehicle. the only exceptions are on-duty law enforcement officers, authorized Company security and armored car personnel"

can they actually do that?
i live in New Hampshire and the state motto is "live free or die" i see some issues what they are saying?

------------------
Bart Lanzillotti

·
Registered
816 Posts
An employer can set policy that it is forbidden to carry on the property or to leave a gun in your vehicle parked on their property. It is, afterall, their private property and they can set the rules. At my business, if you're caught doing it, you're fired. You determine if you want to take that risk.

I found your posting about Radio Shack's policy pertaining to visitors quite interesting. I think it is easier for them to regulate employees than visitors (customers). If they don't have "no guns" posted on the door, I think a written policy is worthless. I carry in Radio Shack all the time as a customer and no one is the wiser. Nor, have I ever seen a notice prohibiting my legal carry.

I'm not a lawyer, however, and usual disclaimers apply. Blah, blah, blah.

RJ

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radio shack in this part of the country NEVER owns the land, they rent/leese parts of malls and such, whats the case then?

------------------
Bart Lanzillotti

·
Registered
352 Posts
What they don't know, won't hurt them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Bartlanz,

It doesn't matter if they own the land or not. In leasing the land, they assume the "ownership rights" for the lease period.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
685 Posts
No weapons allowed on the premises (inside or in the parking lot) at my place of employment. I disagree with this, but I follow the rules. Three of my best buds here have their CHLs and I'd feel as safe brahma bull in India if we could carry on site.

Oh well...

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bart, it doesn't matter. In the agreement between employee and employer, the ER may make stipulations on the EE. If the EE chooses not to accept them, he/she can go look for another job. Some states are "at will" which means the EE or ER may sever the employment contract at any time for any reason, provided it isn't discriminatory.

That said, my company's policy says carrying weapons (and waht is the definition of "Weapon" anyway? My Webster's says anything used for offensive or defensive purposes. So I should be able to carry, right?) is "inappropriate behavior", but it never says it is forbidden! And as the HR guy here, next time the policy book is revised, I'm gonna have a few things to say on the subject!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Strict zero-tolerance.
I works in a natural foods store, and I see folks all of the time with strange faces, reaching into pants and jackets.
There's money everywhere, and I just don't feel safe.
Keeping in the yellow as much as possible, I have my giant folder in front pocket, and a chef's knife usually within reach, so the policy basically just means any attempt at defense will be clumsier, messier and likely more deadly.
Wish I could carry, but I just got in town a few months ago, and I have to keep this job for at least a year before I try for a house loan.
Funny the connections in life.

Guy at work the other day stated the "fact" that 70 0/0 of gun fatalities were from one's own gun.
"Interesting, no, I hadn't heard that. Where'd that come from?"
"Oh, I don't remember, Howard Stern or someone like that. And even if it isn't true, I agree with it."
"Agree with it? It's not an opinion!"
"Well, I agree with the sentiment. A gun is just asking for trouble."
"More kids die every year from household cleaners than guns. More from swimming pools. Are they just asking for trouble?"
"Yeah, I know what you mean, I broke my ankle in a pool when I was a kid, and if my friend hadn't pulled me out, I'd be dead."
-end of conversation.

Notice how easy it is to dodge the point when it shakes your paradigm.
This mentality is why we have a zero-tolerance policy at work.

Urban life.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I'm allowed to carry at my place of employment. Seeing how I work in the concealed carry clothing and accessories business it would seem a little strange if I wasn't :). Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most places which have a no carry policy for employees do not have a no carry policy for customers or visitors. I use this as a standard: If people (other than law enforcement or security) I encounter within the building are permitted to conceal a handgun, then I will also, regardless of my employer. No job is important enough to dictate the way I live. Important to note that in a retail environment, if someone is robbing the store, let them. Only in defense from a potentially lethal or seriously injuring force is it acceptable to exercise your right to lethal force defense.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Try this. I work for an auto dealership in a nearby town of where I live. I talked to my General Manager about carrying, and he said as long as it doesn't interfere w/my work or customers (basically keep it COMPLETELY out of sight) he had no problem with it. BTW, we do have those stupid signs on the doors saying no concealed weapons allowed. Usually, though, I carry to and from work, but leave it in the truck or in my toolbox while at work.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well,

At least you're totally safe in your truck.

------------------
Anyone who isn't a paranoid schizophrenic now-a-days, just isn't thinking clearly!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I currently work at a Boot Camp for the incarcurated public between the ages of 18 and 30 or so. They are usually first offenders or less than serious crime (lol) we have some sex offenders. Boot Camp is an alternative to doing a real prison sentence, they offer to do 90 days in a very strict Boot Camp type regime and do probation for the rtemainder of their sentence. They can be repremanded back to the sentence if they are not cooperative.

Now we have an armory on the premise, I have no idea whats in it, I am allowed to carry to work, but must leave the firearm secured in my vehicle do to crossing a guard line to a state penal institution for obvious reasons.

As far as private or corporate buisness well I worked for some of those that did not allow carry, but as long as it is concealed who is going to know. Now I would not carry in a position that would result in legal actions that if caught would almost guarantee that my right to carry would be revoked but as far as just risking my job, I would carry.

If I were to be robbed, I would most likely live to be fired!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your individual state laws will be the source for figuring out whether you commit a crime or not by carrying on private premisis. That's different from whether your employer can fire you or not. Texas law lays out specific requirements for businesses to notify you if they dont' want you to carry. You violate that and you go to jail. Also, some places you are completely prohibited from carrying by statute. Same deal whether you get notice or not. In any event, you can be fired in Texas for violating company policy, but if they don't give you the proper notice then you are not committing a crime. I wont' get into a debate about whether it's constitutional or whether it's fair. I abide by my state laws, because I don't need or want a crime on my record. Almost 10 years as a lawyer has tought me at least this: law isn't always fair. It just is. Reminds me of a quote (which I will butcher a little bit): "You want Justice? You get Justice in the next life. In this life you have the Law."

Regards,
RCJ

·
Registered
109 Posts
As for letting folks rob you at gun point,
keep your eye on this site

https://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcInfoBase.asp?CatID=43

and every once in a while you'll see some idiot come in, take all the cash and shoot the cashier before heading out.
I say, if you point a gun at me or one of my friends, it's open season.
If I do nothing the victim's mother would have wished I had.

It would be quite interesting an helpful to find out some stats about how many armed robberies end with the criminal pulling the trigger.
Then you could just envision a revolver in his hands with X number of cylinders, one loaded. He gives the wheel a spin and points at your buddy behind the cash drawer, and you decide how you feel about the odds.

What would your odds have to be before you pull a gun?
1 - 10,000?
1 - 1,000?

~I personally feel no amount of money or personal possession is worth taking a life, but armed assault is a fatal mistake in some books.

[This message has been edited by youngun (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
259 Posts
My employer permits employees to carry concealed firearms if they have a license. Clients or visitors other than LEOs are not permitted on premises with a firearm.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I work for a company that sells and delivers oilfield chemicals. Basically, I drive around all day, talking on the phone, and making sure there is plenty of chemical at each well location.

When I went to work for the company, I asked the owner/boss about firearms. He said: Everyone else is armed in the company, you better be too!"

I guess that about sums up my workplace weapons rules!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I work for the State with no concealed weapons allowed. However, when the concealed carry law was passed in `96, they (the State) did send out a memo that any employee with a CCP could carry the weapon in a State vehicle (in the glovebox), provided you had your supervisor`s permission. I jumped on that since I do on occasion travel around the state in a state car. I now carry in the vehicle while on business but can`t while in the office. Of course, before the official ruling was passed that you could carry in the car, I did anyway. (wink)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts